IrfanView and JPG thumbnails

Old August 13th 15, 04:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Terry Pinnell[_2_]

Default IrfanView and JPG thumbnails

It may be unrelated, but since installing the latest version of
IrfanView (32 bit) 4.4.0, my JPG thumbnails in Explorer folders are
not getting displayed. (They're replaced by the generic IrfanView
icon.)

I've had problems over the years with some VIDEO file thumbnails, but
never with plain JPGs.

Anyone else had similar behaviour please?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old August 13th 15, 04:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
JJ[_4_]

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 16:21:50 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:
It may be unrelated, but since installing the latest version of
IrfanView (32 bit) 4.4.0, my JPG thumbnails in Explorer folders are
not getting displayed. (They're replaced by the generic IrfanView
icon.)

I've had problems over the years with some VIDEO file thumbnails, but
never with plain JPGs.

Anyone else had similar behaviour please?

Try de-associate JPG files from IrfanView's setting.
If you want to open JPG files with IrfanView, associate it using Windows'
built-in file associator (i.e. Open With... Choose IrfanView Set as
default OK).
Old August 13th 15, 05:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
VanguardLH

FredW wrote:

JJ wrote:

Try de-associate JPG files from IrfanView's setting. If you want to
open JPG files with IrfanView, associate it using Windows' built-in
file associator (i.e. Open With... Choose IrfanView Set as
default OK).

Sorry, but this method does not work for IrfanView 4.40. When you do
-Open with ...- IrfanView 4.40 cannot be found and selected. (I tried
several times, both 32-bit and 64-bit) By returning to IrfanView 4.38
I could set IrfanView as default.

You are claiming that Irfanview (any version) is installed but when you
use the Browse button to navigate to the .exe file that it is not
there? Well, if Irfanview's program is missing then it is not
installed.

If the program is not in the recent or suspect list when you open the
Open With dialog then you have to browse to the program. If you want
that selection (association) remembered then remember to check the
option to remember your choice.
Old August 13th 15, 07:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
David Taylor

On 13/08/2015 18:19, FredW wrote:
[]
Wrong conclusion.

I use IrfanView portable.
But after upgrading from 4.38 to 4.40 *.jpg files are no longer
associated with IrfanView as default program.

I can find and select the *.exe (both 32-bit and 64-bit)
However when I select the *.exe it is NOT available in the next screen,
the screen to select a default program.
(first time this happens you are totally puzzled as to what you have
done wrong, but by repeating you discover you did alright, but that the
program had a serious bug)

I would really help if people would try themselves first
before they start giving advice that does not work!
:-(

I run IrfanView 4.40 here under Windows 10 and the association has
remained unchanged since 4.38. I have IrfanView installed in:

C:\Tools\IrfanView

and the executable file name has remained unchanged: i_view32.exe

--
Cheers,
David
Old August 13th 15, 07:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Mr.E

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 19:04:33 +0100, David Taylor
wrote:

On 13/08/2015 18:19, FredW wrote:
[]
Wrong conclusion.

I use IrfanView portable.

Does a portable program introduce itself to the registry?
I no longer run windows so I cannot otherwise determine.

Old August 13th 15, 08:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
dadiOH[_2_]

Terry Pinnell wrote:
It may be unrelated, but since installing the latest version of
IrfanView (32 bit) 4.4.0, my JPG thumbnails in Explorer folders are
not getting displayed. (They're replaced by the generic IrfanView
icon.)

I've had problems over the years with some VIDEO file thumbnails, but
never with plain JPGs.

What version of Explorer?

Old August 14th 15, 10:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
dadiOH[_2_]

FredW wrote:
On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 15:05:52 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:
Terry Pinnell wrote:
It may be unrelated, but since installing the latest version of
IrfanView (32 bit) 4.4.0, my JPG thumbnails in Explorer folders are
not getting displayed. (They're replaced by the generic IrfanView
icon.)

I've had problems over the years with some VIDEO file thumbnails,
but never with plain JPGs.

What version of Explorer?

It is not Internet Explorer (iexplore.exe)
but Windows Explorer (explore.exe)

Yes. I should have asked, "What OS?"

Old August 14th 15, 11:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
wasbit[_2_]

"FredW" wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 11:59:50 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

FredW wrote:

JJ wrote:

[...]

Fred W. (NL)

I went through exactly the same scenario last night with a newly downloaded
64bit Irfanview on Windows 10.
There is one more step to go & I can't remember what that step was, but it
does work.

Also surprised me that the version I downloaded was portable ie no install
just unzip & it works.

Regards
wasbit

Old August 15th 15, 12:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
wasbit[_2_]

"FredW" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Aug 2015 11:15:18 +0100, "wasbit"
wrote:
"FredW" wrote in message
. ..

I use IrfanView portable.
But after upgrading from 4.38 to 4.40 *.jpg files are no longer
associated with IrfanView as default program.

I went through exactly the same scenario last night with a newly
downloaded
64bit Irfanview on Windows 10.
There is one more step to go & I can't remember what that step was, but it
does work.

Please try to remember and please do tell.
:-)

Also surprised me that the version I downloaded was portable ie no install
just unzip & it works.

I am using the portable version for ages.
For most software I prefer the portable version.

--
Fred W. (NL)

File Association

Right click / Open With / Choose Another App
Scroll to bottom - More Apps
Scroll to bottom
Put a tick in the box - Always use this app to open Jpeg files
I didn't & had to retrace these steps
- Look for another App on this PC

HTH

Regards
wasbit

Old August 16th 15, 10:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Terry Pinnell[_2_]

wrote:
Terry Pinnell wrote:
It may be unrelated, but since installing the latest version of
IrfanView (32 bit) 4.4.0, my JPG thumbnails in Explorer folders are
not getting displayed. (They're replaced by the generic IrfanView
icon.)

I've had problems over the years with some VIDEO file thumbnails,
but never with plain JPGs.

What version of Explorer?

It is not Internet Explorer (iexplore.exe)
but Windows Explorer (explore.exe)

Yes. I should have asked, "What OS?"

Thanks for the replies so far.

I'm still using XP.

Should have added that this behaviour is intermittent.

Explorer association seems unchanged - d-clicking opens IrfanView as
usual.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK