LED panel flash replacements

Old August 12th 15, 10:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default LED panel flash replacements

On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 13:32:10 -0400, Tony Cooper
wrote:

Has anyone tried an LED panel flash replacement unit for still
photographs?

They seem to be popular when shooting videos, but not much has been
said about using them for stills.

They range in price, but here's an example at $40. It's listed as a
"Video Light" for a dslr, but obviously could be used for stills.

As best as I can figure out, they are always on when turned on and not
on just when the shutter is activated like a flash.

http://www.linkdelight.com/P0023052-...R-Cameras.html

Seeing that they use LEDs I would ask questions about their spectrum
before I seriously considered one.

Eric Stevens
Old August 13th 15, 02:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

wrote:

Has anyone tried an LED panel flash replacement unit for still
photographs?

They seem to be popular when shooting videos, but not much has been
said about using them for stills.

They range in price, but here's an example at $40. It's listed as a
"Video Light" for a dslr, but obviously could be used for stills.

As best as I can figure out, they are always on when turned on and not
on just when the shutter is activated like a flash.

http://www.linkdelight.com/P0023052-...R-Cameras.html

Seeing that they use LEDs I would ask questions about their spectrum
before I seriously considered one.

I use a LED-strip as a ring light for macro on a G10 by fitting it
inside one of those tubes made for taking filters or hoods. I've been
surprised by how reasonable the colour balance seems to be, although
admittedly I use it for forensic engineering rather than artistic
flowers or insects.
Old August 13th 15, 03:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 8/13/2015 9:47 AM, newshound wrote:

snip

I use a LED-strip as a ring light for macro on a G10 by fitting it
inside one of those tubes made for taking filters or hoods. I've been
surprised by how reasonable the colour balance seems to be, although
admittedly I use it for forensic engineering rather than artistic
flowers or insects.

Am I safe in assuming that it provides a very flat light?

--
PeterN