Windows 10 install report

Old August 10th 15, 01:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

Default Windows 10 install report

Okay, I lost patience, and went ahead with two of my computers. The
first one was a Toshiba laptop that according to Toshiba did not even
support the Win 8.1 I had installed on it. It installed without a
problem, and the little bit of software I have on it all worked fine.

On to the photo/music computer. This one has an SSD, and an i7, with
32GB of memory. I started the install, ran some errands, and when I
came back 40 minutes later, it was done. I opened all of the software
I use - and it's a lot, music - with 127 plug-ins - and photo, and it
all works. Even Cool Edit 2000, for those of you familiar with it,
still works. That is old software.

I liked Win 8.1, but it looks like I'll like this at least as much.
One biggie is that there is once again a recent items folder. And for
anyone who liked the Metro screen with all of the tiles, you can
choose to make the Start screen full screen, and it looks pretty much
the same. If you don't choose full screen, those tiles, as you
selected them, appear in a smaller box on the start screen, along with
a scroll bar. One thing I liked in 8.1 was that you could switch to
the Metro screen, and just start typing to find things. Now there is a
search box at the bottom of the screen. Just click in it, and start
typing. It then searches the web, and your computer, and displays all
of the results in the same window. It appears that it is now easier to
save virtual desktops, but I didn't look into that yet.

I think they really got it right with this version. This even fixed
the issue I had with dual monitors on the laptop, and I thought it
would make things even worse.

Overall, the install was entirely trouble free on both computers. I
did, however, elect to choose all of the settings, instead of using
the "suggested" express install. I turned almost all of the options
off, and deselected their 4 software options.
Old August 10th 15, 04:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2015-08-09 20:19, Bill W wrote:
Okay, I lost patience, and went ahead with two of my computers. The
first one was a Toshiba laptop that according to Toshiba did not even
support the Win 8.1 I had installed on it. It installed without a
problem, and the little bit of software I have on it all worked fine.

On to the photo/music computer. This one has an SSD, and an i7, with
32GB of memory. I started the install, ran some errands, and when I
came back 40 minutes later, it was done. I opened all of the software
I use - and it's a lot, music - with 127 plug-ins - and photo, and it
all works. Even Cool Edit 2000, for those of you familiar with it,
still works. That is old software.

Cool Edit is brilliant. Unfortunately the A-holes at Adobe bought it,
renamed it and raised the price. It worked on my previous iMac (under
VMWare Fusion, under WinXP) but I lose 1 bit of resolution per channel
for some reason - probably the VMWare interface between WinXP/OS X and
the h/w. Not even sure it will work on the present iMac.

I think they really got it right with this version. This even fixed
the issue I had with dual monitors on the laptop, and I thought it
would make things even worse.

Overall, the install was entirely trouble free on both computers. I
did, however, elect to choose all of the settings, instead of using
the "suggested" express install. I turned almost all of the options
off, and deselected their 4 software options.

I might install it at work (MacBook Air / Fusion / Win7) - OTOH, the
only reason I have Win there is for a single accounting program that
I'll likely phase out next FY.

This iMac will remain WinXP - again it supports a single program and
more than well enough. (But I will check if Cool Edit works on here
some day).

Old August 10th 15, 04:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 11:02:39 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

Cool Edit is brilliant. Unfortunately the A-holes at Adobe bought it,
renamed it and raised the price. It worked on my previous iMac (under
VMWare Fusion, under WinXP) but I lose 1 bit of resolution per channel
for some reason - probably the VMWare interface between WinXP/OS X and
the h/w. Not even sure it will work on the present iMac.

Audacity is a nice, free, alternative. That's what I used until I
found the registration key I had lost for Cool Edit. I don't do all
that much audio editing, though, so I don't really know the limits of
either program.
Old August 10th 15, 06:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

wrote:

Cool Edit is brilliant. Unfortunately the A-holes at Adobe bought it,
renamed it and raised the price. It worked on my previous iMac (under
VMWare Fusion, under WinXP) but I lose 1 bit of resolution per channel
for some reason - probably the VMWare interface between WinXP/OS X and
the h/w. Not even sure it will work on the present iMac.

Audacity is a nice, free, alternative. That's what I used until I
found the registration key I had lost for Cool Edit. I don't do all
that much audio editing, though, so I don't really know the limits of
either program.

I've used Audacity but could not import the audio into iTunes. (or
rather export the audio to .mp3). Don't recall if that was a
"copyright" enforcement or because I didn't have the paid up version.

I'd say Cool Edit was much more powerful and had more features as well
as user definable filters. The UI had its quirks to learn but once you
figured it all out was great to record a side of a vinyl and then break
those up into separate tracks. (this was not labour free of course, but
you could do a couple albums per evening).