Anyone install Windows 10 yet?

Old August 9th 15, 03:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

Default Anyone install Windows 10 yet?

On 09/08/2015 15:30, George Kerby wrote:
[]
You ever hear of VMware? You can emulate a PC on OSX without the headaches
of WinDoze as your operating system for about fifty bucks. Jus' sayin'...

Yes, I run both VMware workstation and VMware Player (free) already.
Linux and Windows guests running under Windows-10 host. However,
dealing with what can be up to an 80 Mbps continuous stream may make
life "interesting".

--
Cheers,
David
Old August 9th 15, 04:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2015-08-09 10:30, George Kerby wrote:

On 8/9/15 4:02 AM, in article , "David Taylor"
wrote:

On 09/08/2015 09:46, Savageduck wrote:
[]
Ummm....
http://www.wxtoimg.com
http://trixology.com/weathercat/
...for starters.

Whilst that software works for low-bandwidth data, the data I get is
some 56 GB per day over a system called TelliCast, which is supported
only on Windows and Linux. This is direct from the satellites both
polar orbiting and geostationary from around the globe, hence the large
data volume. I have written my own processing software, sales of which
have kept bread on my table for the last 15 years or so, and the vast
majority of my customers run Windows.

Doubtless if the programs I wanted to run worked on the Mac that would
have been the OS I selected, but I choose the tools I need first, and
then the appropriate OS to support them. So I run Windows, Linux and
iOS here, but not OS X.

You ever hear of VMware? You can emulate a PC on OSX without the headaches

Not emulation. It runs the code directly.

of WinDoze as your operating system for about fifty bucks. Jus' sayin'...

Well, you have to pay for both the VMWare Fusion license ($70 last time
I bought the basic license) + the Windows license (unless you have it
already).

It's likely Davide has customers running his code with Fusion on a Mac
(or Parallels, a competing product) without being aware of it.
Old August 9th 15, 04:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 09/08/2015 16:01, Alan Browne wrote:
[]
Well, you have to pay for both the VMWare Fusion license ($70 last time
I bought the basic license) + the Windows license (unless you have it
already).

It's likely Davide has customers running his code with Fusion on a Mac
(or Parallels, a competing product) without being aware of it.

I already pointed to a Web page with screenshots from a Mac! But I know
that they number but a handful. Far more run Windows under Linux. It's
no big deal - they want to run the programs first, and then choose the
OS which suits it best.
--
Cheers,
David
Old August 9th 15, 04:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , android
wrote:

Have you tried to run the software that you produce in a "winebottle"?
You could tryout the concept on your Linux system. That's how Picasa was
served to the Mac...

picasa is native.
Old August 9th 15, 05:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
nospam wrote:

In article , android
wrote:

Have you tried to run the software that you produce in a "winebottle"?
You could tryout the concept on your Linux system. That's how Picasa was
served to the Mac...

picasa is native.

This doesn't look native to me:

http://www.gizmag.com/google-release...mac-osx/10666/
http://tinyurl.com/pqx8ssu

And it was bottled up on Linux:

http://www.itworld.com/article/27256...-shuts-down-pi
casa-for-linux.html
http://tinyurl.com/qyr5g9t

But you could be right for once... But your hit ratio isn't that good is
it?
--
teleportation kills
Old August 9th 15, 05:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
nospam wrote:

In article , android
wrote:

Have you tried to run the software that you produce in a "winebottle"?
You could tryout the concept on your Linux system. That's how Picasa was
served to the Mac...

picasa is native.

This doesn't look native to me:

http://www.gizmag.com/google-release...mac-osx/10666/
http://tinyurl.com/pqx8ssu

And it was bottled up on Linux:

http://www.itworld.com/article/27256...-shuts-down-pi
casa-for-linux.html
http://tinyurl.com/qyr5g9t

And you could be right for once... But your hit ratio isn't that good is
it?
--
teleportation kills
http://tinyurl.com/androidphotography
Old August 9th 15, 05:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

All in all, the Win-10 upgrade has gone exceedingly smoothly.

Good to know, although I hate digging around to find registration #'s.
It was endless frustration with that sort of thing when I replaced my
motherboard. I still think I might wait a bit. It seems my photo/music
PC is the only one ready for the update right now. I'd rather do the
first one on one of the other PC's.

I have not upgraded to Windows 10, but when I added an SSD as my
primary drive I did a clean install of Windows 7. I didn't have a
problem with re-installing any program.

why go through that all that hassle when you can just clone it and then
swap?

cloning software is usually included with ssds so there's nothing extra
to buy.

unless you like making more work for yourself, that is.
Old August 9th 15, 06:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

I have not upgraded to Windows 10, but when I added an SSD as my
primary drive I did a clean install of Windows 7. I didn't have a
problem with re-installing any program.

why go through that all that hassle when you can just clone it and then
swap?

cloning software is usually included with ssds so there's nothing extra
to buy.

unless you like making more work for yourself, that is.

I gave that consideration, then I thought "How can I **** off nospam?"
and decided to do it differently. Of course, if I would have reported
that I cloned the drive, you would have come back saying I should have
done a clean install. Whatever someone else does is always wrong in
your view.

nope. once again, you demonstrate just how much of an argumentative
troll you really are.
Old August 9th 15, 06:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Sun, 09 Aug 2015 11:56:30 -0400, Tony Cooper
wrote:

On Sat, 08 Aug 2015 23:07:32 -0700, Bill W
wrote:

On Sun, 09 Aug 2015 01:46:03 -0400, Davoud wrote:

Bill W:
Any problems with any photo software?

A photographer who uses Windows? Wow!

"Photographer" would be pretentious in my case. I'm "a guy with a
camera".

I'm a photographer of sorts, but I use a Nikon. My desktop is a bit
too heavy and bulky to use.

Surface Pro?...
Old August 9th 15, 06:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 8/9/2015 2:13 AM, Bill W wrote:
On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 06:34:43 +0100, David Taylor
wrote:

On 09/08/2015 06:24, Bill W wrote:
Any problems with any photo software?

Nothing other than minor issues:

- Paint Shop Pro 9 ran its install procedure once when the program was
first run after a Win-10 upgrade. After that one instance it functioned
normally.

- PIE Studio required entering the registration data again. It them
continued to function as before.

All in all, the Win-10 upgrade has gone exceedingly smoothly.

Good to know, although I hate digging around to find registration #'s.
It was endless frustration with that sort of thing when I replaced my
motherboard. I still think I might wait a bit. It seems my photo/music
PC is the only one ready for the update right now. I'd rather do the
first one on one of the other PC's.

I am waiting until SP1 has been used for at least two months.
Or, possibly longer, unless I am forced to get a new machine. I
subscribe to the theory about not fixing something that ain't broken.

--
PeterN