Best way to shoot sunset

Old March 3rd 08, 03:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Best way to shoot sunset

Sorry, Newbie here.

I want to shoot a sunset but my pics seem to come out way bright. How
do you get nice deep colors.

KAW
Old March 3rd 08, 04:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul[_2_]

wrote in message
Sorry, Newbie here.

I want to shoot a sunset but my pics seem to come out way bright. How
do you get nice deep colors.

KAW

Take your meter reading from the sky, not the foreground; try underexposing
a bit; and bracket your exposures to see what gives you the results you're
looking for.

Paul

Old March 3rd 08, 04:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Randy Berbaum[_2_]

wrote in message
Sorry, Newbie here.

I want to shoot a sunset but my pics seem to come out way bright. How
do you get nice deep colors.

KAW

The problem is that your camera wants to see bright and in Auto it adjusts
the exposure (aperturte + shutter speed + ISO) to make the image brighter.
Also it weighs red less than the other colors in that "bright" label. And
lastly the auto white balance will read the abundance of red as a colored
light source and adjust to make that "white". So what you need to do is
take your camera into manual. Set your ISO to a low number (which number
will depend on the camera and current lighting). Next you need to set the
white balance to daylight. Then you need to manually set a shutter and
f-stop.

I have taken many nice (and a few total garbage) sun-up/sun-down images. I
set my camera to ISO 200-400 and WB to daylight, open the aperture as wide
as possible. Then I take one image letting the camera choose the shutter
speed. It WILL be wrong. I then shoot a series of photos with each being one
step faster than the last. It will probably take 3 or 4 shots to find one
that is right. Once I have found the right settings I can then lock the
camera to those settings and snap away. One thing that I have found is that
broad colored sky images never look good using a wide angle lens (it
minimizes the impact) and on tele you miss the grand sweep. So I set my
camera to aproximately "normal" (for my camera that woud be about 33mm) and
shoot a series of overlapping images (about 50% overlap is good) in
horizontal rows with multiple rows until I have covered as much of the sky
as I can (sometimes as much as 180 deg horiz and 90 deg vert). I then use
one of the pano stitching programs to put it together. You just need to snap
these pano images as quick as possible as the clouds will be moving and if
you take too long, the stitch will not work well.

BTW I find that if you can get a silouetted horizon (or trees/houses/etc)
along the bottom edge it seems to give the image more impact.

Randy

Old March 3rd 08, 09:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Marcin[_4_]

The fastest way to get nice effect:

Diirect your lens to sun and than push the shutter (let the camera sets
parameters when sun and bright heaven are in the center of frame).

That's all.

Martin
Best Regards
www.gorgolewski.com

Uzytkownik napisal w wiadomosci

Old March 3rd 08, 10:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Randy Berbaum[_2_]

"Marcin" wrote in message
The fastest way to get nice effect:

Diirect your lens to sun and than push the shutter (let the camera sets
parameters when sun and bright heaven are in the center of frame).

That's all.

Martin
Best Regards

True when you have that option.

But I have found that many of the most impressive sky conditions are when
the sun is just below the horizon. The light is shining on the clouds but
the ground features are still in shadow.

Also be careful when aiming the camera directly at the sun. Within moments
of clearing the horizon the light can be intense enough to burn the camera
sensor and if you are using a direct view finder you can even burn your
retina as the lens in the finder (or through the lens in an SLR) can be
magnified enough to do permanent damage to your eye.

Randy

Old March 4th 08, 04:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
peter

wrote in message
Sorry, Newbie here.

I want to shoot a sunset but my pics seem to come out way bright. How
do you get nice deep colors.

set ISO to the lowest
put your camera in manual mode
set focus to infinity
shoot one photo at each exposure setting
also change the white balance to different mode and shoot a bunch at each
setting

what you cannot control is when there is deep color in the sky
for that, you need to have patience, or luck

you can use photoshop to increase color saturation

Old March 6th 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Marvin[_2_]

Randy Berbaum wrote:
wrote in message
Sorry, Newbie here.

I want to shoot a sunset but my pics seem to come out way bright. How
do you get nice deep colors.

KAW

The problem is that your camera wants to see bright and in Auto it adjusts
the exposure (aperturte + shutter speed + ISO) to make the image brighter.
Also it weighs red less than the other colors in that "bright" label. And
lastly the auto white balance will read the abundance of red as a colored
light source and adjust to make that "white". So what you need to do is
take your camera into manual. Set your ISO to a low number (which number
will depend on the camera and current lighting). Next you need to set the
white balance to daylight. Then you need to manually set a shutter and
f-stop.

snip
If your camera doesn't let you switch to manual settings,
see if there is a setting that lets you make the automatic
setting lighter or darker. If there is, set it to darker.

sunset AlianToso Digital Photography 5 January 10th 08 07:50 PM
San Francisco Sunset John Navas[_2_] Digital Photography 78 November 27th 07 07:47 PM
12/24 sunset panorama JC Dill Digital Photography 8 December 28th 06 06:58 PM
Sunset over Seaforth John H Digital Photography 0 March 1st 06 03:26 PM
Odd Sunset Pinehollow Digital Photography 6 December 13th 05 12:23 AM