BEHOLD THE POWER OF INFRARED !

Old January 3rd 08, 03:47 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm, aus.photo, rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default BEHOLD THE POWER OF INFRARED !

On Jan 2, 5:31*pm, Troy Piggins wrote:
* is quoted & my replies are inline
* below :

On Jan 2, 5:03*pm, Annika1980 wrote:
On Jan 2, 3:19*pm, stuseven wrote:

+ * *great gravy ! *As a long time admirer of just about anything
Annika
posts, image wise, I have to add my praise of this infra-red
demonstration !

Stu, have you met Helen? *I think you guys would really hit it off.

Trying to get rid of me?

Lol.

--
Troy Piggins
Please feel free to provide constructive criticism on any photos I post. *I'm

Old January 3rd 08, 06:33 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
William Graham

"Annika1980" wrote in message
On Jan 2, 6:40 am, Scott W wrote:

The second one does look like something Floyd would post, I have come
to expect much better from Bret.

I could post a test pic of a Gretag-MacBeth Colorchecker chart and
some of you would bitch about the composition.

Geez, it was a simple comparison to show how infrared cuts through
haze.
I ain't submitting it to Lenswork or framing it for a Fine Art
Exhibition.
I'll bet if I measured it real close I'd find the horizon line was a
few fractions of a degree off of level as well.

You've taken some great moon shots in the past, Bret.....Have you ever taken
one in IR?

Old January 3rd 08, 04:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm, aus.photo, rec.photo.digital
Annika1980

On Jan 3, 1:33*am, "William Graham" wrote:

You've taken some great moon shots in the past, Bret.....Have you ever taken
one in IR?

Not yet. However, I did take this one that has a bit of an infrared
look to it.
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/24097824

That one was taken in broad daylight with a barely visible moon.
(Ain't Photoshop great?)
I'll try in in infrared when I get a similar opportunity.

Old January 3rd 08, 06:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington[_2_]

Scott W wrote:
On Jan 1, 7:25 pm, Annika1980 wrote:
Here's a rather boring shot I took off the mountain
today.http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/91112475/original

It is notable only because the mountains in the distance are usually
not visible and lost in the haze. But today was a clear day.

Now look at the same scene taken with the Totally Infrared
D60:http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/91112663/original

The mountains in the distance seem to jump out at ya.
Infrared is great for cutting through smoke and haze.

Both photos are way under your normal standards. The first is very
soft

It does look very soft, but I assume that's mostly because of haze and junk
in the air. Everything in the photo is at a considerable distance.

and the seconds is pretty ugly, I am thinking jpeg artifacts.

It sure looks impressive to me!

Neil

Old January 3rd 08, 07:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington[_2_]

Scott W wrote:

In all of the Adams photos the sky looks natural, in Bret's it looks
like crap.

I don't think it "looks like crap" at all, and being infrared I'd hardly
expect it to "look natural."

I think it's remarkable photo, especially after the visible-light shot to
compare it with.

Neil

Old January 3rd 08, 08:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm, aus.photo, rec.photo.digital
Scott W

On Jan 3, 9:00*am, "Neil Harrington" wrote:
Scott W wrote:

In all of the Adams photos the sky looks natural, in Bret's it looks
like crap.

I don't think it "looks like crap" at all, and being infrared I'd hardly
expect it to "look natural."

I think it's remarkable photo, especially after the visible-light shot to
compare it with.

The looking like crap has nothing to do with it being infrared, it has
to do with Bret messes up the image somehow and getting a huge amount
of noise in the image.

His second take on this is far better.

Scott

Old January 3rd 08, 10:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
William Graham

"Annika1980" wrote in message
On Jan 3, 1:33 am, "William Graham" wrote:

You've taken some great moon shots in the past, Bret.....Have you ever
taken
one in IR?

Not yet. However, I did take this one that has a bit of an infrared
look to it.
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/24097824

That one was taken in broad daylight with a barely visible moon.
(Ain't Photoshop great?)
I'll try in in infrared when I get a similar opportunity.

That's a great shot, even if it does look a bit unrealistic......I was
wondering how well the infra red might cut through haze or scattered clouds
in night time moon pictures. It sure does well in landscape shots on hazy
days.