Need New Travel Camera

Old August 4th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
rhonda

Default Need New Travel Camera

I want to get a new travel camera and am thinking about one of the
Canon PowerShot series. I have an older S400 and was happy with
it.Would appreciate any tips on something that is smaller/lighter and
is as good?

THANKS
Old August 4th 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 00:03:56 GMT, rhonda wrote:

I want to get a new travel camera and am thinking about one of the
Canon PowerShot series. I have an older S400 and was happy with
it.Would appreciate any tips on something that is smaller/lighter and
is as good?

The S400 is already pretty small and lightweight. You may find
that a smaller and lighter camera is more convenient to carry in a
pocket or small bag, but more difficult to hold and operate. In
other words, if you get any good tips, try not to buy one unless you
are able to find a camera store that will let you hold and operate
it a bit, or if the store will allow you to return it "no questions
asked" within a reasonable amount of time.

Old August 4th 06, 12:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
mdsnurse5

Don't have a clue if it's lighter or smaller, but I have a Canon
powershot 500 that I'm willing to part with since getting a SLR. I
also have 4 fully charged batteries, 2 chargers, and camera case to go
with it. Don't know if you must have a new camera, but this one is in
excellent condition and has rarely been used. Used it a few times and
realized I needed more from a camera and went with the SLR. Just
something to think about.

Jackie

Old August 4th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kinon O'Cann

Lots of choices out there! I picked up a Panasonic FX01, and love the
performance and the wide angle lens. I've printed up to 11 x 14 from this
cam and the prints look very nice. Good lens range, IS, nice controls, and
uses standard SD cards.

Old August 4th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Marvin

rhonda wrote:
I want to get a new travel camera and am thinking about one of the
Canon PowerShot series. I have an older S400 and was happy with
it.Would appreciate any tips on something that is smaller/lighter and
is as good?

THANKS

Consider the Panasonic cameras. They are less expensive
than other cameras with similar characteristics. For
example, I recently bought the DMC-LZ3, with 5 Mp, 6X zoom,
and image stabilization for $199. It is light in weight,
and has good battery life, even with alkaline batteries, and
that makes it good for travel. And the image stabilization
(which works) is a plus if you don't want to carry a tripod
or want to take photos from a moving car or bus. And I like
the picture color and crispness.