Canon EOS 10D price difference

Old July 8th 04, 03:55 AM
Tony Spadaro

Default Canon EOS 10D price difference

There are a lot of phony dealers out there. Find out where these places are
located - if they are in Brooklyn NY or anywhere in NJ I would suggest
forgetting them immediately. For any other location look for recommendations
from real people - those store rating websites tend to get clogged up with
employees of the crooked stores giving high marks to their unsavory
operations.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
"Lei Liu" wrote in message
om...
I am thinking of getting my second EOS 10D. When I purchased my first
one from B&H a year ago, it was $1499. I did a search recently, and
was surprised by the price differences from different merchants. The
trustworthy B&H and Adorama in New York City have been holding the
same price ($1499) since the 10D first hit the market. Dell.com and
Circuit city also have this price. There was one occasion Circuit city
offered a 10% coupon for the 10D, but it was just enough to offset the
sale tax. On the other hand, some online stores, such as BuyDig.com
and ElectricSam have 10D for around $1150, brand new, US warranty and
such. These stores seem to be quite credeble. I saw them in the
PhotoExpo in NYC and they seem to have very high customer satisfaction
ratings. Since these stores may not charge sale tax, depending on
where the camera is shipped, and they only charge a small shipping fee
($12), the final out-of-pocket cost can be $500 lower than buying from
stores like B&H or Circuit City. Is this just because the online
stores have a very low overhead, or because they ship different
things? I remember a while ago there were two versions of EOS Elan 2E,
one was made in Japan and the other was made in Malaysia or somewhere
about. The price difference was $70-$90 for the $200-$300 body. Will
someone enlighten me on this issue? I am perfectly comfortable making
purchase online, but I want to make sure that I receive the real
thing, and with all the goodies in the retail box.
Many thanks!
Lei

Old July 8th 04, 04:14 AM
Richard Cockburn

"Tony Spadaro" wrote in
.com:

Find out where these places are
located - if they are in Brooklyn NY or anywhere in NJ I would suggest
forgetting them immediately

There's a blanket statement of crap. Yes, there have been some bad ones in
Jersey and Brooklyn, but there have also been some excellent ones like
Buydig & Beach Camera with excellent ratings.

--
"Live fast. Die young." (Nikki Sixx)

-Richard Cockburn

Old July 8th 04, 05:56 AM
The DaveŠ

Richard Cockburn wrote:
Find out where these places are
located - if they are in Brooklyn NY or anywhere in NJ I would
suggest forgetting them immediately

There's a blanket statement of crap. Yes, there have been some bad
ones in Jersey and Brooklyn, but there have also been some excellent
ones like Buydig & Beach Camera with excellent ratings.

Unfortunately, when shelling out alot of money, the thieves of the
retail industry screw it up for everyone else. As a consumer I feel
like I have to be even more vigilant, so statements like Tony's, while
not 100%, should at least be taken into consideration since there does
seem to be a grain of truth to them.

--
Whose cruel idea was it to put an 's' in the word lisp?

Old July 8th 04, 06:01 AM
Richard Cockburn

"The DaveŠ" wrote in :

Richard Cockburn wrote:
Find out where these places are
located - if they are in Brooklyn NY or anywhere in NJ I would
suggest forgetting them immediately

There's a blanket statement of crap. Yes, there have been some bad
ones in Jersey and Brooklyn, but there have also been some excellent
ones like Buydig & Beach Camera with excellent ratings.

Unfortunately, when shelling out alot of money, the thieves of the
retail industry screw it up for everyone else. As a consumer I feel
like I have to be even more vigilant, so statements like Tony's, while
not 100%, should at least be taken into consideration since there does
seem to be a grain of truth to them.

I know what you're saying, Dave, but Tony is painting the picture a little
too black and white. There are plenty of ways to research an individual
merchant. Flagging all of them in a single region is not fair to the
legitimate businesses in a given area.

Old July 8th 04, 07:03 AM
Tony Spadaro

Step One -- Beach and BuyDig are the same place - Why do they have to cover
up their actual name?
Step Two - Both have uppy downy reputations on photo net
http://www.photo.net/neighbor/one-subcategory?id=2
Step Three - There are apparently several unrelated places called Beach.
Step Four - I don't see any reason to trust or recommend them.

Old July 8th 04, 10:07 PM
Skip M

"Richard Cockburn" wrote in message
.4...
"The DaveŠ" wrote in :

Richard Cockburn wrote:
[...]

It hasn't been that long since Beach (the one in New York, not LA) was one
of the worst out there. They seem to have cleaned up their act, which is
nearly unheard of. Resellerratings rates them pretty high, and I have a
friend who's done considerable business with them with good results.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com