More about cleaning sensors and Canon Canada (long)

Old December 1st 05, 12:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default More about cleaning sensors and Canon Canada (long)

Hi everyone!

As you know, cleaning sensors has been a hot topic in this NG.
I finally got a lot of trash that I can't get rid of on my Canon's Rebel XT
CMOS sensor and decided to write to Canon Canada.
Below, starting from my initial e-mail is the correspondence we exchanged.
Although I have changed the order for clarity, I haven't altered anything (I
still have the "originals").
Perhaps if many of us were to write to Canon to express their concern, Canon
might consider something.
In the meantime, as stated, I have a lot of addresses for products, but I
wish I knew WHAT CANON IS USING to clean their sensors safely.
Best regards to all!

Marcel

*Initial querry*

Hi! I bought my Rebel XT with a 17-85mm lens as well as a 70-300 mm Is
USM recently. This cost me a lot of money. I find I have dust that I
can't get rid of on my sensor. Canon only supports the fact that I
should use a blower. I did. However, the dust won't go away. I cant
afford to send the camera out to you every time this happens. It would
cost me an arm and a leg since it seems I would have to do it often I
would also be without my camera for long periods of time. Since these
cameras are made to change lenses, surely there must be a safe way for
me to clean the sensors. Please advise and please do NOT tell me to
use a blower. It doesn't work! Thanks for any help you can give me. I
was thrilled to have such a camera, but now, with such poor results,
with big blobs on my photos, I'm less than ecstatic, believe me.
Please advise. Marcel.

*Initial answer*

Old December 1st 05, 02:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Marcel writes ...

I have a lot of addresses for products, but I wish I knew WHAT
CANON IS USING to clean their sensors safely.

Whatever they are using it's not all that great and you can quickly
learn how to do a better job yourself ... my wife just sent in a 1 D
Mark II for some repair work (Irvine facility) and they also said they
"cleaned the sensor" on the return form but the sensor has five small
dust specs on it. I can do better than that with a brush for dry loose
particles or Pec Pads with Eclipse for anything. It's not feasible to
send in the camera for this so my advice is to just learn how to do it
yourself. First time or two you're pretty nervous but after a while it
becomes routine.

Bill

Old December 1st 05, 02:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On 12/1/05 6:31 AM, in article , "Celcius"
wrote:

Hi everyone!

As you know, cleaning sensors has been a hot topic in this NG.
I finally got a lot of trash that I can't get rid of on my Canon's Rebel XT
CMOS sensor and decided to write to Canon Canada.
Below, starting from my initial e-mail is the correspondence we exchanged.
Although I have changed the order for clarity, I haven't altered anything (I
still have the "originals").
Perhaps if many of us were to write to Canon to express their concern, Canon
might consider something.
In the meantime, as stated, I have a lot of addresses for products, but I
wish I knew WHAT CANON IS USING to clean their sensors safely.
Best regards to all!

Marcel

Snip

Glad to see you are pursuing this; maybe if more of us did this we would get
some better answers from the manufacturers. Let us know if you ever do get
a satisfactory response.
Related to this issue, this place -
http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/
- claims to know what the manufacturers repair sites actually do.
Excerpting some of their write-up, this is what they say:

€ Canon - Blower and a Kimwipe, held by tweezers. They do not like to
use fluid but when necessary they use either 90% isopropyl alcohol or a
50/50 mixture of isopropyl alcohol and Windex.
€ Fuji - Photographic Solutions SensorSwabs and Eclipse
€ Kodak - Photographic Solutions SensorSwabs and Eclipse
€ Leica - Photographic Solutions SensorSwabs and Eclipse
€ Nikon - A commercial grade lens tissue wrapped around a chopstick
style piece of wood with medical grade methanol. Several forums have posts
where readers have been to Nikon Service outside the USA and reported seeing
the technicians using SensorsSwabs and Eclipse.
€ Olympus - A Kimwipe held by tweezers and Olympus Proprietary
Solution (dries quickly without streaks and is bio-degradeable).
€ Pentax - A special lint free cloth (provided from Japan) folded
into a small square and held with a pair of tweezers as a swab moistened
with a freon derivative.
€ Sigma - Uses a special vacuum cleaner that was provided by Japan.

Chuck

Old December 1st 05, 05:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"C Wright" wrote in message
. ..
On 12/1/05 6:31 AM, in article ,

"Celcius"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks Chuck!
I've made a copy of this.
I'll try indeed to pursue this thing. Next step is to write to Canon USA
Cheers,
Marcel

Old December 1st 05, 05:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Bill Hilton" wrote in message
ups.com...
Marcel writes ...

I have a lot of addresses for products, but I wish I knew WHAT
CANON IS USING to clean their sensors safely.

Whatever they are using it's not all that great and you can quickly
learn how to do a better job yourself ... my wife just sent in a 1 D
Mark II for some repair work (Irvine facility) and they also said they
"cleaned the sensor" on the return form but the sensor has five small
dust specs on it. I can do better than that with a brush for dry loose
particles or Pec Pads with Eclipse for anything. It's not feasible to
send in the camera for this so my advice is to just learn how to do it
yourself. First time or two you're pretty nervous but after a while it
becomes routine.

Bill

Bill,
Thank you for the encouragement.
If I only knew how it's made and what pressure it can take...
There those swabs that seem to be about the width of the sensor and you
swipe once...
Ideally, there should be pre-wet swabs that come in a cellophane. You would
open it, use the swab and throw it away.
The problem with just the blower is that apparently the sensor when "on"
either is charged electrostatically (?) or is heated up. This seems to
"seal" the dust in.
Regards,
Marcel

Old December 1st 05, 05:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Celcius" wrote in message

"C Wright" wrote in message
. ..
On 12/1/05 6:31 AM, in article ,

"Celcius"
wrote:

[...]

This is also a very informative site:
http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/image/15473243

Chris

Old December 1st 05, 06:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"c" wrote in message

"Celcius" wrote in message

"C Wright" wrote in message
. ..
On 12/1/05 6:31 AM, in article ,

"Celcius"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks Chris!

I conducted a search on Internet and got the sites below. I haven't had time
to study all of those carefully. Even then, I don't know who to believe ;-)
The problem is that most of those sell their products, and of course they're
great!

Regards,

Marcel

http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm
http://www.livingroom.org.au/photolo...ge_sensors.php
http://www.pbase.com/tim32225/sensor_cleaning
http://cleaningdigitalcameras.com/
http://www.ultimateslr.com/clean-image-sensor.php
http://www.impulseadventure.com/phot...ust-clean.html
http://www.intemos.com/home.asp
http://www.photosafari.com/Articles/...gTheSensor.asp
http://www.photosol.com/
http://www.pictureline.com/newslette...dslrclean.html
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...296&print=true
http://www.visibledust.com/
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...cleaning.shtml
http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=00CvVS
http://www.dphoto.us/news/node/22
http://www.earthboundlight.com/photo...that-dust.html
http://www.pictureline.com/newsletter/article.php?id=96
http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/How_...ur_Sensor.html
http://www.hoothollow.com/Visibledust.html

Old December 1st 05, 06:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Celcius" wrote in message
Hi everyone!

I finally got a lot of trash that I can't get rid of on my Canon's Rebel

XT
CMOS sensor and decided to write to Canon Canada.

Much of your problem here is likely to be airborne spores that have settled
on your sensor. You will get this if you use the camera in moist air even
if you do not ever remove the lens. I use my cameras outside often in rain
etc and the condensation inside the camera leaves these fine marks. You
must clean these off yourself - blowing is useless - but cleaning is easy
and a simple. Canon dropped a right bollock when they first said that
cleaning sensors was a pro job - it isn't and it needs doing daily in some
circumstances.

Old December 1st 05, 07:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"RustY©" wrote in message

"Celcius" wrote in message
Hi everyone!

I finally got a lot of trash that I can't get rid of on my Canon's Rebel

XT
CMOS sensor and decided to write to Canon Canada.

Much of your problem here is likely to be airborne spores that have

settled
on your sensor. You will get this if you use the camera in moist air even
if you do not ever remove the lens. I use my cameras outside often in

rain
etc and the condensation inside the camera leaves these fine marks. You
must clean these off yourself - blowing is useless - but cleaning is easy
and a simple. Canon dropped a right bollock when they first said that
cleaning sensors was a pro job - it isn't and it needs doing daily in some
circumstances.

Thanks Rust.

So far, I've seen that there are two ways of doing it.
1- Copper Hill method (Swabs + Eclipse)
2- The "Visible Dust" method (http://www.visibledust.com/)
Both also seem to have a special dry brush to get at the dust.

I'm still not to the point of getting what I need and doing the thing
myself.

Cheers,

Marcel

Old December 1st 05, 08:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Celcius" wrote in message

[...]

Not so. And you usually do not need wet wipes. A good brush, a quick swipe
or two and you're done. You do NOT need to know how much pressure the sensor
will take. First, you're cleaning a filter, not the sensor. Second, if you
have to scrub, there's something seriously wrong with the
filter/sensor/camera and it has to go to the factory.

Get a nylon brush. Cosmetics counter brushes work fine. Wash and rinse very
well, using distilled water. Dry well. Blow air through the *brush* and then
use the brush to swipe off the filter. Cost is whatever the can of air is,
and the brush, probably a total of under 10 bucks, and enough to last for a
year or more.

If things get really out of hand, I use (so far, once, and it wasn't really
needed) Sensor Swabs and Eclipse liquid, but the package is way, way
overpriced...a common event in sensor cleaning.