Today is the day to enter photos in the Utah State Fair

Old September 1st 05, 03:05 PM
piperut

Default Today is the day to enter photos in the Utah State Fair

Hello Everybody,

Today is the first day to enter photos in the Utah State Fair.

I entered the Davis County fair last month with three photos, and
recieved a First Place and a second place, and a little constructive
critism for entering the State Fair. (Mostly, I should print them on
glossy paper for the competition.) The other thing, the photo of my
highland coo - they didn't like it in the bulls eye, so I cropped
it a bit different, and moved it over a bit off center for the State
fair.

Edinburgh Castle was the photo that received the first place ribbon.
Both of these photos are on the Utah Saint Andrews Society Website
under Gallery, and Roland's trip to Scotland. The Edinburgh Castle
photo is the close in one of Edinburgh Castle. It is the ninth photo
down if you start counting from the top left on the first page. The
Highland Coo is on the second page.

For the county fair I had entered a third photo that did not place of
one of my nieces that I took for a bridal photo. It was a landscape
photo of a bride on a couch. Since it did not place, I am entering a
different photo in the State fair. It is actually a different photo.
It is a photo of another niece that I took for her bridal. She has a
Celtic type wedding dress, and is standing on a rock, about to jump off
into her wedding. This one I do not have on the internet anywhere. (I
don't have a webpage, so I am left at the mercy of webmasters that
take my work into the theme of their pages.)

roland

Old September 4th 05, 04:33 PM
Alan Browne

piperut wrote:

Hello Everybody,

Today is the first day to enter photos in the Utah State Fair.

Congrats on your successes.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old September 6th 05, 02:06 PM
piperut

Alan Browne wrote:
piperut wrote:

Hello Everybody,

Today is the first day to enter photos in the Utah State Fair.

Congrats on your successes.

Thanks.

The County Fair they had 220 photos entered. The State fair there will
be more. The State fair will be a lot tougher. It opens on Thursday.
I will be a nevous wreck on Thursday until I go down there and find out
how I did.

I shouldn't enter these things - it drives me nuts!

roland

Old September 9th 05, 06:19 AM
piperut

Alan Browne wrote:
piperut wrote:

Hello Everybody,

Today is the first day to enter photos in the Utah State Fair.

Congrats on your successes.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

Okay, I made it into Salt Lake City and went to the Utah State Fair.
I made a beeline for the Photo Exhibit.

It actually took me a while to find my photos. They have a lot of
entries.
Now, the photo of Edinburgh Castle didn't get anything. This was a bit
of a susprise. The one of my niece didn't get anything, and I didn't
really expect anything from it.

However, the photo of that stupid looking highland cow out having lunch
in the farmers field managed to get an honorable mention.

I did crop it a little bit and move the cow off center from the bulls
eye, and crop out what she had deposited on the ground, and had the
photo printed on glossy paper instead of the luster paper for the State
fair. The photo of her is on the net at www.utahstandrews.org, and
then in the gallery section, and Roland's trip to Scotland.

This silly looking cow is the one titled Highland Coo on the second
page of this section.

Now, I am not sure - Judges seem to be subjective a bit. Some like one
thing, and some another. I really thought the photo of Edinburgh
Castle would do better at the State Fair, since it did well at the
county fair. However, when I entered them - the person who accepted the
entries remembered the photo of the Highland Coo from the County fair,
but didn't remember the photo of Edinburgh Castle. So I think it might
have something to do with what the particular judge likes in the way of
subject matter as one thing.

Anyway, I after the fair, I will be able to hang something from the
State Fair on the wall. Just an Honorable Mention, but it is
something. This all started out because one guy I used to work with
said I couldn't call myself a photographer until I pulled a ribbon,
even an honorable mention out of the state fair. It was sort of stated
as a challenge...

roland