epson 2200 question

Old June 21st 04, 05:34 AM
GLL

Default epson 2200 question

Bought an Epson 2200 in October, I am pretty happy with the prints, but am
on my third one as the heads keep getting clogged and have had it replace
under warranty, any tips on how to keep it from clogging up, seems like when
I don't use it for a few weeks it happens, using epson inks & papers, I try
to keep it turned off when not in use
thanks
Gary

--
Nature & Wildlife photography of
Gary & Debbie Langley

Old June 22nd 04, 01:53 AM

Dang. I have been thinking of upgrading to it from the 1280 which I have
been using for years with no such problems.

--
http://www.rickbakerimages.com
My Gallery, Photography Forums, Post Your Pictures,

Old June 22nd 04, 03:21 AM
Paul Schmidt

GLL wrote:
Bought an Epson 2200 in October, I am pretty happy with the prints, but am
on my third one as the heads keep getting clogged and have had it replace
under warranty, any tips on how to keep it from clogging up, seems like when
I don't use it for a few weeks it happens, using epson inks & papers, I try
to keep it turned off when not in use

Don't turn it off, when the computer starts up, it makes the printer go
through a short cycle, which blows a small amount of ink through the
head, keeping the head from clogging up.

With the power off, and the printer unplugged, take some damp paper
towel, and run it under the head the dampness may loosen it up. You can
leave the paper there, overnight, the evaporating dampness may also
help. If you see any streaks of colour, then you have been successful,
leave the printer for a few hours to dry out completely.

Switch to an HP or Lexmark printer, they have the head built into the
cartridge, making the cartridge slightly more expensive, but curing this
problem is easier, simply pick up a new or recycled cartridge.

Paul

Old June 25th 04, 02:44 AM
Alan Justice

The only printer with which I have that problem is an HP (Deskjet 612c).
I've given up using it for color, because I just don't use it often enough
to keep it going. (Yes, I tried all the head-cleaning methods, including
washing).

I'm considering the 2200, so this news is disappointing.

--
- Alan Justice

"Paul Schmidt" wrote in message
.. .

Old June 25th 04, 07:41 AM
JIM

"GLL" wrote in message
Bought an Epson 2200 in October, I am pretty happy with the prints, but am
on my third one as the heads keep getting clogged and have had it replace
under warranty, any tips on how to keep it from clogging up, seems like

when
I don't use it for a few weeks it happens, using epson inks & papers, I

try
to keep it turned off when not in use

I have the 2200 and have had no such problems; however, I have never had it
turned off "for a few weeks" either. First rule is do not have the printer
turn on/off with your computer (think instructions cover this) - power it up
with the printer on/off switch and plugged into its own dedicated socket -
it can be on a surge protected device; however do not use the switch on that
to power the printer on/off either.

Also, if you do not use the printer for a period of time, at least power it
up once a week and possibly run a nozzle check - not expensive or time
consuming! Remember the life cycle of the ink cartridges, as specified by
Epson, once they are placed in use! I have also had no problems with running
these cartridges past that specified period, but they do get used at least
weekly.

Not sure any of that info will be of help, but the printer is probably
happier when used regularly.............

Shoot'em up, print with anything, Agfa, Fuji, Kodak and all the rest will
love you for it!!

Jim

Old June 25th 04, 06:12 PM
GLL

Howdy Bill

You may be right about my problem being uncommon, that sometimes is the
story of my life ! after your tips on scanning and printing I am blown away
by the quality I get, I just thought maybe I need to do something more to
prevent this clogging issue, I just got off the phone with the Epson
warranty folks and they said to be sure and turn off printer when not in
use, keep it in a room that's not to hot or cold, (bedroom /office here)
for extended down times place a blanket over it to keep out dust, no need to
do anything else, run a nozzle check on startup, if its good print, if not
do the head clean utility. I'm just kinda concerned that this may happen the
day after the warranty expires. which by the way they replace the new one
with a refurbished printer and the third one is refurbished.
thanks
Gary

From: "Alan Justice"

I'm considering the 2200, so this news is disappointing.

It's not really "news", it's one person's experience and I don't think

it's
very typical myself. I've talked to Gary a couple of times over the years

and
he's a good guy, but the problems he's seeing with the 2200 aren't very

common
at all.

Right now we have both the 1280 and the 2200 and the 2200 has never

clogged
badly in 2+ years. I've only had to run a cleaning cycle maybe 3-4 times

fix one or at most two missing bands during the nozzle check, which is
excellent performance. Often it sits unused for up to 3 weeks while we

travel,
yet works fine when we turn it back on.

The 1280 has a mild clog (cleans in one or two cleaning cycles) about once

week and we've had two serious clogs (meaning 10-15 cleaning cycles to

fix)
twice, though once was self-inflicted when I deliberately ran the color

cart
dry to see how many more prints I could get (bad mistake, my fault). The

2200
is much less prone to clogs than the 1280, if you read the chatter on the
printing and digital NG's.

The 2200 also has much longer print life and prints well on a variety of

papers
and if you're selling your prints it's a much better choice.

Bill

Old June 26th 04, 02:31 AM
Bill Hilton

From: "GLL"

You may be right about my problem being uncommon, that sometimes is the
story of my life !

Hi Gary,

I remember recommending this 2200 printer to you so I feel bad it's not working
out right.

I just thought maybe I need to do something more to
prevent this clogging issue, I just got off the phone with the Epson
warranty folks and they said to be sure and turn off printer when not in
use

.... make sure you turn it off with the on/off button and NOT with an external
power strip switch. Using the on/off switch parks the heads and seals them
over a pad that seems to keep them from drying out ...

keep it in a room that's not to hot or cold, (bedroom /office here)
for extended down times place a blanket over it to keep out dust, no need to
do anything else

Yeah, we are in a very warm and extremely dry environment here (no rain past 79
days, usual humidity under 10%), which you'd think would dry the heads, but it
doesn't seem to affect them. I have the plastic covering that the printer
shipped in and keep it draped over the printer when not in use to keep out dust
but otherwise don't do anything special.

I'm just kinda concerned that this may happen the
day after the warranty expires. which by the way they replace the new one
with a refurbished printer and the third one is refurbished.

Maybe try to get it in writing that it's a continuing problem and ask them to
extend the warranty for a year after the ship date of the replacement (good
luck), and ask for a new one instead of refurbised, you might get their
sympathy since this is the third one.

You aren't using non-Epson inks, are you? This seems to be the # 1 cause of
increased clogging.

Hope you get it worked out.

Bill

Old June 26th 04, 04:17 AM
GLL

From: "GLL"

You may be right about my problem being uncommon, that sometimes is the
story of my life !

Hi Gary,

I remember recommending this 2200 printer to you so I feel bad it's not

working
out right.

Bill

Please don't feel bad, I very much appricate your help, your advice has been
dead on every time, this is just one of those things, may or may not
happen again. I use epson ink & paper, shut down at the printer so it does
the shut down squence. if it happens again I will try and get a new not
refurbished.
Thanks again for the help
Gary

Old August 9th 04, 10:10 PM
RonFrank

Hmm,

I've not had a clog that I could not clear using standard cleaning.

I just got back from a three week vacation, so we shall see if my printer is
clogged!!!

Based on past experience, I'm sure I'll have to go through a few cleaning
cycles.

I try and not go more than a week without printing. Printing can be just a
test strip to keep the heads flowing.

So far so good, and the Epson ROCKS!!

Ron