RawShooter essentials 2005 update available (incl. Athlon fix)

Old March 12th 05, 01:01 AM
Bart van der Wolf

Default RawShooter essentials 2005 update available (incl. Athlon fix)

FYI

Here is the list of changes:
http://forum.pixmantec.com/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1410/an/0/page/0#1410

The free update is available from:
http://www.pixmantec.com/index2.html

Bart

Old March 12th 05, 07:11 AM
one million pics

"Bart van der Wolf" wrote in message
FYI

Here is the list of changes:
http://forum.pixmantec.com/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1410/an/0/page/0#1410

The free update is available from:
http://www.pixmantec.com/index2.html

Bart

I'm very curious about this 'romance' you have with picmantec, Bart. Do you
favour this program because it has no automation, putting the end results in
your hands alone or is there some other reason? I downloaded it at your
suggestion and came to the conclusion it is not a photographers tool but a
computerists one.

As a photographer, I prefer not to dwell on post processing any more than I
have to. I do shoot RAW but for me, the work afterwards is a right royal
pain. I much prefer DxO because it addresses the faults in my lenses and
makes a very nice conversion of the data to an image file. The subtlety of
pastel colours is often lost in today's saturated images.

Sure some of the files could do with a touch-up in Photoshop after
conversion but on the whole, it is the closest I have come to the days when
I shot film, sent it to a lab and ordered prints from the proofs. It seems
to me that far too many programs exist now that demand so much extra
learning or personal input after the shoot as to make the art of photography
far too complicated.

Your reply is eagerly awaited.

It's actually Ryadia here.
My PC is being upgraded so I'm using daughters until it comes back.

Old March 12th 05, 09:02 AM
John DH

I wonder when they will support Fuji finepix?

Any ideas

John D

Old March 12th 05, 04:16 PM
Arthur Small

As a "photographer" I assume that you never did any post processing in the
dark room, just printed the negatives.

Old March 13th 05, 05:09 AM
Douglas

"Arthur Small" wrote in message
As a "photographer" I assume that you never did any post processing in the
dark room, just printed the negatives.

I hardly think you could have read the post properly, Arthur. Having a lab
process the film and provide proofs from which to order prints from
....carries with it the hint of a suggestion that maybe the "Photographer" is
a Photographer and not a lab technician.

Somehow I can't see sitting in front of a computer making adjustments and
corrections to a photo which on film would have required the shot to have
been made correctly in the first place, as being a Photographer. In the days
before Digital SLRs, Photographers lived or died (professionally speaking)
by their ability to get it right in the camera.

Even today, Photographers have the ability film shooters don't have to see
the results of the shot instantly and re-shoot it if it's wrong. Film
shooters had to use quite expensive Polaroids to get this opportunity.
Photoshop is a less than good photographer's way out of a lot of problems
they should never have gotten into in the first place.

Old March 13th 05, 06:32 AM
John Francis

Bubbabob wrote:
It has a nice sharpening algorithm but I'm completely unimpressed with the
accuracy of the RAW colorization.

I'd love to be able to try it. But unfortunately I'm one of those
folks that has been unable to persuade the program to get beyond the
registration screen.

It pops up a dialog box asking for my name, address, and email.
I click "OK", and it obviously goes out and talks to the pixmantec
servers, because I get an email almost immediately.

But that's it. Nothing else - the program just hangs, not responding.

Can anyone who has succesfully installed it tell me what is supposed
to happen next?

Old March 13th 05, 01:53 PM

Bart van der Wolf wrote:

FYI

Here is the list of changes:
http://forum.pixmantec.com/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1410/an/0/page/0#1410

The free update is available from:
http://www.pixmantec.com/index2.html

Bart

To those who have installed this softwa
have you thoroughly checked it for spyware?
Has anyone found any spyware issues?
Free software usually comes with a catch.

Roger
Old March 13th 05, 01:59 PM

In message ,
(John Francis) wrote:

In article ,
Bubbabob wrote:
It has a nice sharpening algorithm but I'm completely unimpressed with the
accuracy of the RAW colorization.

I'd love to be able to try it. But unfortunately I'm one of those
folks that has been unable to persuade the program to get beyond the
registration screen.

It pops up a dialog box asking for my name, address, and email.
I click "OK", and it obviously goes out and talks to the pixmantec
servers, because I get an email almost immediately.

But that's it. Nothing else - the program just hangs, not responding.

Can anyone who has succesfully installed it tell me what is supposed
to happen next?

This happened to me, also. I got the wrong e-mail, though. Rather than
a "thanks for registering" message, I got the initial invitation to
download the program again, with a link. The program seemed to be
unresponsive, so i killed it. I did this twice, and finally, the third
time, I just let the program sit for about 20 minutes with its
hourglass, and finally a message popped up saying registration was
unsuccessful, and when I clicked "OK", the program opened up. I haven't
closed the program yet, so I don't know what happens next.

I don't think that they have their server worked out right, just yet.
When I originally requested the program from the website, I got no
e-mail back until regular business hours the next day, as if the e-mail
was sent by a human (or a human rebooting or powering up a computer).
--

John P Sheehy

Old March 13th 05, 04:14 PM
John DH

Nothing found with my usual anti-virus and spyware kit. I don't think there
is a catch with this software as such. I rather think the author is letting
it go free for a while, hopeing that folks like ourselves report back with
bugs, ie beta testing. Already, from this thread alone, there are a number
of issues that need to be sorted before they can reasonably ask money for
it.

John D

Old March 13th 05, 04:21 PM
John DH

Are you using XP SP2? I found that after upgrading my machine to SP2, I
found all sorts of problems including similar instances like yours. I went
back to XP SP1 and everything returned to normal. I also wonder if your copy
was corrupted in the download, have you tried to download again?

John D