CF card to external hard drive

Old February 17th 05, 05:04 AM
Darrell

You'll need some type of O/S and an IO controller

"ghosh02" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi:

I am a newbie to this group but couldn't find this question asked
earlier.
I have a CF card reader and an external hard drive. Is there any way I
can copy images from a CF to the hard drive without using a computer ?
I saw several image storage devices in www.steves-digicams.com that
transfer images from CF to hard drive/CD/DVD but since I already have
an external drive, I was wondering if I could do the same with a cable
or something else ?

thanks,
ghosh.

Old February 18th 05, 05:35 AM
Chris D

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 00:04:26 -0500
"Darrell" dev/null wrote:

"ghosh02" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi:

I am a newbie to this group but couldn't find this question
asked earlier.
I have a CF card reader and an external hard drive. Is there
any way I can copy images from a CF to the hard drive
without using a computer ?

You'll need some type of O/S and an IO controller

topposting fixed

Non-tech translation - No, you can't do it with a standard
external harddrive and card reader. The devices you have seen
online have the software / controllers built in to do this
without a PC, whereas a stardard USB harddrive housing doesn't
have this.

-Chris D
Old February 18th 05, 06:34 AM
Marius

Yes that's possible!

I tested it with a 2.5 inch USB-cased harddisk and a SyncBox
You need two things:
1 . an USB-to-USB-linker like a SyncBox
http://www.macally.com/new/new_syncbox.html ) or a
Delkin USB-Bridge ( http://www.delkin.com/delkin_products_usb_bridge.html ).
Rob Galbraith tested this apparatus:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-6455-6965
2. a power supply (5 volts: batteries or car adapter) for your harddisk.
The USB-to-USB-linker supplies enough current for a memorycard, but your 2.5
inch HD in USB-case needs about 500 mA and that's more than the batteries of
the interface can supply.

The USB-to-USB-linkers also work as direct linker between digital cameras
and portable storage media als (other) memorycards and USB-harddisks (with
own power supply)

Marius

Old February 19th 05, 02:43 AM
tomcas

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...163-502&depa=0
Old February 19th 05, 03:14 AM
Steven Scharf

"ghosh02" wrote in message oups.com...
Hi:

I am a newbie to this group but couldn't find this question asked
earlier.
I have a CF card reader and an external hard drive. Is there any way I
can copy images from a CF to the hard drive without using a computer ?
I saw several image storage devices in www.steves-digicams.com that
transfer images from CF to hard drive/CD/DVD but since I already have
an external drive, I was wondering if I could do the same with a cable
or something else ?

You just need the Macally Syncbox. You don't need a computer.
Old February 19th 05, 06:22 PM
Big Bill

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 21:43:59 -0500, tomcas
wrote:

ghosh02 wrote:
Hi:

I am a newbie to this group but couldn't find this question asked
earlier.
I have a CF card reader and an external hard drive. Is there any way I
can copy images from a CF to the hard drive without using a computer ?
I saw several image storage devices in www.steves-digicams.com that
transfer images from CF to hard drive/CD/DVD but since I already have
an external drive, I was wondering if I could do the same with a cable
or something else ?

thanks,
ghosh.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...163-502&depa=0

Not what the OP wants:
digital data from memory cards into the built-in HDD and monitor the
working status via the LCD panel."
--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old February 19th 05, 08:29 PM
tomcas

wrote:

ghosh02 wrote:

Hi:

I am a newbie to this group but couldn't find this question asked
earlier.
I have a CF card reader and an external hard drive. Is there any way I
can copy images from a CF to the hard drive without using a computer ?
I saw several image storage devices in www.steves-digicams.com that
transfer images from CF to hard drive/CD/DVD but since I already have
an external drive, I was wondering if I could do the same with a cable
or something else ?

thanks,
ghosh.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...163-502&depa=0

Not what the OP wants:
digital data from memory cards into the built-in HDD and monitor the
working status via the LCD panel."

His question was "Is there any way I can copy images from a CF to the
hard drive without using a computer ?". The answer is yes, if that drive
is a 2.5" and he installs into the device that I linked to.
Old February 20th 05, 03:25 PM
Big Bill

wrote:

ghosh02 wrote:

[...]

That device has a HDD built in.
Why would he pay for a HDD and then replace it?

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old February 20th 05, 09:46 PM
tomcas

wrote:

ghosh02 wrote:

[...]

It does not come with a HDD built in. It is a case and controller, you
add your hard drive to it.
Why would he pay for a HDD and then replace it?