Please explain focus specs

Old January 9th 05, 05:27 PM
Zayde

Default Please explain focus specs

Focus specs often show two sets of numbers, distinguished by (w) or
(t).

For example, the Kodak DX7440 gives
Focus Range: 19.7 in. to inf. (w) / 29.5 in. - inf. (t)
Macro: 3.9 - 23.7 (w) / 9.8 - 33.5 (t)

What do (w), (t) mean ?

Old January 9th 05, 05:31 PM
Bill Williams

Zayde wrote:
Focus specs often show two sets of numbers, distinguished by (w) or
(t).

For example, the Kodak DX7440 gives
Focus Range: 19.7 in. to inf. (w) / 29.5 in. - inf. (t)
Macro: 3.9 - 23.7 (w) / 9.8 - 33.5 (t)

What do (w), (t) mean ?

(w) = shortest focal length--widest angle
(t) = longest focal length--telephoto

Old January 9th 05, 05:32 PM
Bob Salomon

In article .com,
"Zayde" wrote:

Focus specs often show two sets of numbers, distinguished by (w) or
(t).

For example, the Kodak DX7440 gives
Focus Range: 19.7 in. to inf. (w) / 29.5 in. - inf. (t)
Macro: 3.9 - 23.7 (w) / 9.8 - 33.5 (t)

What do (w), (t) mean ?

wideangle and tele

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Old January 9th 05, 05:42 PM
Ken Weitzel

Zayde wrote:
Focus specs often show two sets of numbers, distinguished by (w) or
(t).

For example, the Kodak DX7440 gives
Focus Range: 19.7 in. to inf. (w) / 29.5 in. - inf. (t)
Macro: 3.9 - 23.7 (w) / 9.8 - 33.5 (t)

What do (w), (t) mean ?

Hi...

w = wide angle (un-zoomed
t = telephoto (zoomed)

Ken

Old January 10th 05, 08:09 PM
Ron Baird

Greetings Zayde,

W = Wide Angle
T = Telephoto

The numbers in your example related to the range (distance) from the camera
lens that will be in focus. For example, if you have the camera set to wide
angle, anything from 19.7 inches from the camera lens to infinity will be in
focus should appear sharp with the sample camera DX7440. If you were in the
Telephoto mode, then anything from 29.5 inches from the lens to infinity
will be in focus.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have other questions. Try visiting the
Kodak site for more on settings and how to get good pictures.

http://www.kodak.com/go/takegreatpictures

Good luck, Zayde,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

oups.com...

Old January 11th 05, 04:49 AM
George E. Cawthon

Whoa Ron, I don't think you meant to say that. Those
numbers are the focus RANGE not what "will be in focus."
E.g., if the camera is set all the way to the W side in
normal mode, the lens can focus on anything between 19" and
infinity. If in macro mode it can only focus on subjects
between 3.9 and 23.7 inches. In the latter case if your
subject is more than say 30 inches away, it will likely be
out of focus. What will actually be in focus in any picture
depends on the exact focus setting and the aperture setting.

OK. T means telephoto (longest focal length), W means wide
angle (shortest focal length). The Operator changes the
focal length by zooming--pushing the button(s) for W and T.

In addition, many cameras have two modes, normal and macro.
Depending on the camera, when you change from normal to
macro (requires some manual command--push a button) the lens
elements shift which makes it possible to focus more
closely, but at the same times reduces the ability to focus
further away.

In the real world none of that much matters. If you cannot
get the image as large as you want you just zoom to T, if it
still isn't large enough you get closer to the subject. If
the subject is really small and you can't get the image big
enough, and if you get as close as you want but the subject
isn't in focus, you switch to macro mode which will let you
get even closer.

Ron Baird wrote:
Greetings Zayde,

W = Wide Angle
T = Telephoto

The numbers in your example related to the range (distance) from the camera
lens that will be in focus. For example, if you have the camera set to wide
angle, anything from 19.7 inches from the camera lens to infinity will be in
focus should appear sharp with the sample camera DX7440. If you were in the
Telephoto mode, then anything from 29.5 inches from the lens to infinity
will be in focus.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have other questions. Try visiting the
Kodak site for more on settings and how to get good pictures.

http://www.kodak.com/go/takegreatpictures

Good luck, Zayde,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

oups.com...

Old January 12th 05, 02:52 AM
George E. Cawthon

No problem, there was never any question that you didn't
know the facts only that maybe you were a little cursory
with the OP. New people (the op) often aren't quite sure
what they know or don't know or are asking. Maybe I was
wrong but I thought the OP was really asking why there were
different focal ranges in addition to what W and T meant.

Ron Baird wrote:
Hi George,

Thanks for the detail.

My reply was related to the general settings for normal picture taking. I
am aware of all the other settings *Macro* etc. but do not believe the
poster was questioning Macro modes. Rather the question was general and
related to what W and T meant. The reference I offered only helped explain
those terms. It was apparent that the user was not familiar with such
settings so, the general answer. The reference to the picture taking help
would reveal much more including macro and other techniques.

I appreciate the review.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company