Upgading to Budget Strobe System?

Old October 19th 04, 08:29 PM
Robert Meyers

Default Upgading to Budget Strobe System?

Hey all,
Once again, more questions

I am looking for a set of strobes. I would be using them with my Contax G1
(35mm), and Olympus E-1 (Digital), and possibly an unknown medium format
that I may purchase sometime in the future. I am starting new, nothing but
my basic flash (Olympus FL-50, similar to Canon 550EX) and a Metz Slave
flash. I am bouncing between three kits, Could any of you all tell me what
you thoughts are on these? I am trying to keep the strobe kits at or under
$1000.

1. Travelite 1500w/s Two-Head Umbrella Kit: 999.00 I believe these are made
by bowens. Neat thing is, end of the month there is a no tax sale, and they
are opening 2 miles from me.

2. 2x DigitFlash (made a mistake earlier) 500 with Stands and barn doors.

3. Alien Bees, B800x2, + stands, etc. These seem nice but are very low
powered and have very low powered modeling lamps.

I am looking for head and shoulder portraits, and some tented small product
shots. I work, mainly, in a very small one care garage, all white interior.
My Garage is 18' L x 8'W x 8'H. I was considering using the FL-50 for fill
off the ceiling (164 guide number). At times I will very likely be shooting
at an altar area of a church (not weddings, not up to that yet).

The thing that did weird me out is how expensive barn doors are for the
travelites, versus the AB and DigitFlash. I am pretty open, new or used.
I was also offered a Calumet Elite 1200ws set with two heads (used). So I
am pretty far gone. Too many options. Any other suggestions?

?

Thanks!

Robert Meyers

Crossposted to rpe35, rpd, and rptp, as all relevant.

[

Old October 19th 04, 08:39 PM
Sam Carleton

You did not list White Lightning. That is what I own. I love
them! They are VERY powerful, I have the middle ones and 90% of
the time they are TOO powerful. What I like the most about them
is that they are mono lights with the ability to control them from
a central control unit, when need be.

When I am in the studio, I have all three of my heads hooked to
the command module. Today the connection can be wireless where
mine is wired. But when I go into the feild, I leave the command
module and extra wires at the studio and have normal mono lights.

I also like the fact that the modelingl light is the same type of
light bulb one puts into a standard light in ones house.

The only down side I have found is that the set of accessories
don't even begin to touch that of the high end systems.

Here is their URL: http://www.white-lightning.com

Sam

Old October 19th 04, 10:03 PM
Borghesia

You're lucky that the Alien Bees company is an american one.
Here in Europe we/I can only wish these systems could be purchased as
low priced as in the US.
I've drooled on Alien Bees, for their reputation and price. But the
shippingcosts would almost double the price.

My vote for Alien Bees, for price, reputation and being a complete system.

Borgh.

Old October 19th 04, 10:24 PM
Alan Browne

Borghesia wrote:

My vote for Alien Bees, for price, reputation and being a complete system.

On paper (or website) absolutely agree. The only thing I would have
reservations about would be location work. Not sure they would handle the abuse
as well.

Cheers,
Alan

Old October 19th 04, 11:07 PM
Tony

I would go with White Lightning. I've owned them in the past and they are
very good for the money.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

Old October 20th 04, 01:22 AM
Crownfield

Tony wrote:

I would go with White Lightning.
I've owned them in the past and they are
very good for the money.

I also got WL. the x16 and x32 have 128:1 range of power.
(for the x32, 25ws to 3200 ws.)
(the x32 has enough power to fill sunlight at 10-20 feet.)

browse though their products and accessories.
remember that WL and alienbees use interchangeable accessories.

Old October 21st 04, 05:37 AM
Stefan Patric

On Tuesday 19 October 2004 12:29, Robert Meyers wrote:

[...]

Have you considered the Speedotron Brown Line? Been around for years
and still in production. Good, durable, versatile, inexpensive,
entry studio system. Lasts forever. Buy individual components to
suit your needs or choose from the many kits. www.speedotron.com for
more info. Buying used will get you more system for less money.

--
Stefan Patric