How can I remove the dust which came inside my lens ?

Old March 22nd 08, 11:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
C J Campbell

Default How can I remove the dust which came inside my lens ?

On 2008-03-21 04:06:34 -0700, said:

On 20 mar, 22:31, "David Ruether" wrote:

It is very unlikely that the dust in the lens (or on the front or
rear, if any is still there) will be imaged. Such dust generally
just acts to "slow" the lens a tiny fraction, and its effects should
not be seen except under VERY unusual conditions.

OK so the dust is probably not inside the lens and even if it was the
case, I would not see it on the pictures.
That's good news because it did not see any way to remove it but
dissamble the lens.

Much more likely is your seeing the effects of dust on the sensor,
where it can cast fairly sharp shadows, especially when small
lens stops are used. Since you are having trouble cleaning glass,
maybe you should have the sensor professionally cleaned...

That's probably a good advice but I really would like to try doing it
myself.
I will not do the same mistake twice : I will avoid using a dirty or
bad quality rag and read the advices from the forum.

= Do I need a special tool for this ?

Thanks in advance.

Do a Google search on sensor cleaning. There are many methods, but it
requires a light touch. A lens cloth or any other material will
certainly leave lots of dust on the sensor. So you need the right
cleaning materials.

Most camera stores sell sensor cleaning kits.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old March 23rd 08, 09:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On 22 mar, 23:29, C J Campbell
wrote:

On 20 mar, 22:31, "David Ruether" wrote:
Much more likely is your seeing the effects of dust on the sensor,

I confirm : I applied one of the cleaning method advised on a web site
(I took several pictures of my white LCD screen, equalized the color
levels which revealed the dust). The method revealed many black dust
spots. Taking the pictures with a different lens did not change the
result. So, I have to clean the sensor.

Do a Google search on sensor cleaning. There are many methods, but it
requires a light touch. A lens cloth or any other material will
certainly leave lots of dust on the sensor. So you need the right
cleaning materials.

Most camera stores sell sensor cleaning kits.

I just ordered the Delkin SensorScope system (http://www.delkin.com/
products/sensorscope/sensorsystem.html) which is one of the method
advised on the www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com web site (advised by
Savageduck)
This system was advised on many other web sites so I suppose it is
good.
The advantage of the system is you can magnify and see the dust on the
sensor so you can directly check if the it is clean.

Thanks for helping.

Old March 23rd 08, 03:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On 23 mar, 09:42, wrote:

Here are the links to the pictures I took with my 2 different lenses
(18-70 digital zoom and 80-200 classical zoom)
My camera is a Nikon D70.
The dust stays at the same place.

http://webpollux.free.fr/public/43AB...0_70mm_f22.jpg
http://webpollux.free.fr/public/43AB..._200mm_f32.jpg
Old March 23rd 08, 09:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On 23 mar, 16:00, Savageduck wrote:

It is always best to make an educated decission and have the
information from reliable sources. For the most part taking care when
changing lenses will keep dust off the sensor.

Yes, I used to changing the lens in the street taking care but not
doing it inside a bag.
Indeed, this makes the difference.

Personally, I believe the Delkin system is one that is more an
expensive tool box addition, than necessary tool, nice to have though.

You are perfectly right but I live in France and we are in a very
paradoxal situation:
We have a very poor choice of sensor cleaning products (even in a big
city like Paris where I live) so we have to go to specialized shops.
Unfortunately, because there is not a lot of concurrency and because
foreign products are over-taxed by the French customs, the price are
very very expensive.
For example, the Delkin system is around 225$ in France whereas I
found it around 100$ in the USA. Even with adding the shipment price
and the tax, I will pay around 100 euros in France. The most basic
cleaning system I found in France was around 60 euros so I prefer
spending 40 euros more for the Delking solution.
And I think the Delkin's magnifier idea is quite good !

https://www.micro-tools.com/

Thanks for the links and all the advices.

Any way take your time and be careful cleaning. Be aware that DSLRs are
vulnerable to dust, so change lenses carfully with that in mind and you
will find you may only have to clean that sensor once or twice a year.

I never cleant my lens and I just noticed it was dirty now (I bought
my camera 4 years ago)
At the begining, I had a few spots but now, it waste all my pictures.

Have a good Easter WE.
Old March 24th 08, 03:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
C J Campbell

On 2008-03-23 01:42:40 -0700, said:

On 22 mar, 23:29, C J Campbell
wrote:

[...]

I use that one myself. I think it is badly overpriced, though.

Old March 25th 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On 24 mar, 03:38, C J Campbell
wrote:

I use that one myself. I think it is badly overpriced, though.

Hi again,

I discovered that Nikon offers a dust correction system called "Image
Dust Off" coupled with the Nikon Capture 4 software.
You take a reference picture from the camera (you have to take the
picture at 10 cm from a white screen) and it serves as a reference for
eliminating the dust on all the subsequent pictures.
In order to do that, you have to buy the Nikon Capture 4 software
(unfortunately, you have to buy it so I just tried it).
Another constraint is the picture has to be stored as a raw NEF
picture (Nikon picture format) in order to be processable by Nikon
Capture.

The results were quite good when I applied it on my dust test picture.

BEFORE DUST OFF: http://webpollux.free.fr/public/6a3c...e_dust_off.jpg
AFTER DUST OFF: http://webpollux.free.fr/public/6a3c...e_dust_off.jpg

But the results were really bad when I applied it to my cushion's
picture as you can see below:

BEFORE DUST OFF: http://webpollux.free.fr/public/6a3c...e_dust_off.jpg
AFTER DUST OFF: http://webpollux.free.fr/public/6a3c...e_dust_off.jpg

Consequenlty, I won't buy the Nikon software and wait a few days for
receiving my sensor cleaning kit (a physical action is always better
than a software one)
I have no idea why my results were so bad for the second test whereas
they were good for the first one = I suppose that it is due to the
picture complexity in the 2nd case.
Old March 25th 08, 09:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Marcin[_4_]

Uzytkownik napisal w wiadomosci
Hi all,

A few weeks ago, I noticed that there was some dust on my lens (this
is the original zoom provided with the Nikon D70 camera) so I used a
really bad quality rag (I did not know it was so bad as this time) to
clean the lens.
Unfortunately, some small pieces of rag came inside the lens (and came
between the lenses).

Actually, I do not know how to remove the dust which came inside. I do
not want to disassemble the lens because I am pretty sure I will not
how to reassemble it right. Moreover I am afraid of adding some more
dust doing this.
Now, I have plenty of dark spots all all the pictures I take !

Does anyone have an idea which could help ?

Thanks in advance.

You can keep the lens as it is or there is only one solution - professional
service.
Don't try other methods.

Marcin
www.gorgolewski.com

Old March 28th 08, 05:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

Ï "Marcin" Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
[...]

Hi,
my Tamron 24 mm f 2.5 Nikon FM mount, which I used with my Nikon FM-2, I
left it over in my basement-flat in Kozani (where I was studying, in
northern Greece) which was very humid. The result was that fungi developed
inside the lens. The vendor (a good friend of mine too) said we could cover
it under the guarantee and I had it cleaned for free. I strongly recommend
you seek professional service, at least *they* have the responsibility.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering