Do you dislike the fact there is an "art" to RAW conversion?

Old May 4th 16, 03:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dale[_5_]

Default Do you dislike the fact there is an "art" to RAW conversion?

On Sat, 30 Apr 2016 20:33:47 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

Disclaimer: This does not apply to those looking to create huge changes in the initial image, only those trying for realism or getting what came off the sensor to look like it.

It's interesting. Different cameras, different RAW converters, all producing different results in different hands. Ever wonder why there aren't solid rules in-place that say how RAW converters should function? Denoise is noise reduction, making colours realistic, eliminating artifacting in Jpegs, all that, should result in a progression from the RAW to a better end-Jpeg. But what we get a wide interpretations of how the image should be. To me, the image is either good or better if I have the same rough goals as any other photographer. If I get two distinct results, there should be a universal standard that says which is better based on a number of parameters that define better from less-good. However, in some cases people DO recognize that some RAW converters produce better initial images than others, depending on a number of factors. A hypothetical example would be to say (don't know if it's true) that Capture One works better on Fuji RAWS than Adobe. You might even get
universal acclimation from Fuji users that that is the case. Here, we can say, "Capture One is better at converting Fuji RAW's than Adobe." It meets the required perceived "standard" of image perfection better. The trick would be to do this for ALL cameras, not just the Fuji. RAW converters should strive for 80% image fidelity (to what the camera saw) from the outset, before image manipulations take place, not 60%.

I don't dislike art, but predefined colors in the scene require some
WYSIWYG from input to monitor, etc.

don't have enough personal photography experience to say that an input
device standard like sRGB or ICC ERIMM, or just white point and gamma
calibration, aren't sufficient

when I was in the industry predefined colors were a demand for input
color characterization
--
Dale
http://www.dalekelly.org