OSX Photos, and the worst of all things preceeding it

Old October 21st 15, 05:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Default OSX Photos, and the worst of all things preceeding it

On 10/21/2015 11:39 AM, android wrote:
In article ,
PeterN wrote:

On 10/21/2015 3:08 AM, android wrote:
In article ,
PeterN wrote:

On 10/20/2015 6:23 PM, nospam wrote:
In article ,
Sandman wrote:

So Photos - still a huge disappointment for us that know that Apple knows
how to
make a kickass photo management application. Bleh.

you're not its target market.

OMG, nospam made a sensible remark.

Sandy buys expensive equipment from Apple Corp... Shouldn't he find joy
in the throw alongs? ;-p

Far be it from me to dictate his behavior.

Is that who you are or do you feel that it's out of your powers and
means?

It means his behaviors have no effect on my life. iOW i really don't care.

--
PeterN
Old October 21st 15, 05:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Sandman wrote:

So Photos - still a huge disappointment for us that know that Apple
knows
how to
make a kickass photo management application. Bleh.

you're not its target market.

OMG, nospam made a sensible remark.

Sandy buys expensive equipment from Apple Corp... Shouldn't he find joy
in the throw alongs? ;-p

Far be it from me to dictate his behavior.

Is that who you are or do you feel that it's out of your powers and
means?

It means his behaviors have no effect on my life. iOW i really don't care.

Does this mean that you think that you could if you did wanna?
--
teleportation kills
Old October 21st 15, 06:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

gimp, krita, etc., are pretty good for free, and they are open source
editable

How clueless can you be? Toy graphic apps that the user can hack for
her own purposes? Get serious. Pro-level graphics work, still and
video, require a lot of work. No graphics pro is interested in hacking
the apps, but only interested in productivity. And that brings us to
Macintosh for the most demanding, Windows for those who are willing to
settle for second best.

A lot of graphics pros I know, use Windows.

some do, but many more use macs.
Old October 21st 15, 06:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

gimp, krita, etc., are pretty good for free, and they are open source
editable

How clueless can you be? Toy graphic apps that the user can hack for
her own purposes? Get serious. Pro-level graphics work, still and
video, require a lot of work. No graphics pro is interested in hacking
the apps, but only interested in productivity. And that brings us to
Macintosh for the most demanding, Windows for those who are willing to
settle for second best.

Please explain how the OS determines how a pro program like Adobe
Photoshop or Adobe Lightroom becomes more or less demanding to use.

many reasons, including that macs have higher resolution displays as
standard which means it's supported by most apps, better colour
management, better font management, better integration among multiple
apps, better integration among multiple devices and peripherals, a much
wider selection of apps, an increase in user productivity and a better
overall user experience.

not only that, but a retina imac is cheaper (and by quite a bit) than
an equivalent windows computer.
Old October 21st 15, 07:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dale[_5_]

On 10/21/2015 10:04 AM, android wrote:
In article , Dale
wrote:

On 10/21/2015 09:30 AM, nospam wrote:
what exists on linux is garbage.

gimp, krita, etc., are pretty good for free, and they are open source
editable

Gimps 8bit crap! Whatever good have you managed to do with krita???

32 bit is coming with gimp 3

krita seems to have nice brush capability ...

--
Dale
http://www.dalekelly.org
Old October 21st 15, 07:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dale[_5_]

On 10/21/2015 10:55 AM, Davoud wrote:
nospam:
what exists on linux is garbage.

Dale:
gimp, krita, etc., are pretty good for free, and they are open source
editable

How clueless can you be? Toy graphic apps that the user can hack for
her own purposes? Get serious. Pro-level graphics work, still and
video, require a lot of work. No graphics pro is interested in hacking
the apps, but only interested in productivity. And that brings us to
Macintosh for the most demanding, Windows for those who are willing to
settle for second best.

why not a *real* cloud "software as a service" that doesn't depend on
operating system at all?

--
Dale
http://www.dalekelly.org
Old October 21st 15, 07:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

On 2015-10-20 08:59:43 +0000, Sandman said:

So with El Capitan, Photos for the Mac is finally more or less "done".
And what
did we get? Well, pretty much nothing. Photo management for kids,
perhaps.

apple was done with any sort of professional photo management and
editing software when they suspended develoment on Aperture.

For anybody involved in serious photo asset management and editing
Photos is a sad joke, and nothing is going to save it, certainly not any
extensions forced to run on a POS.

While Jon Ive did great things for Apple with the iPod, and iPhone, in
the post-Jobs era, his minimalist philosophy has seriously damaged many
other aspects of the Apple product range including Photos, which is
aimed at the iPhone, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter clientele.

I don't see anything wrong with that, and it's being responsive to the
market that makes up the large majority of their customer base.

Pros and amateurs seeking a real photo editor have LR and PS.

I use Photos exclusively for my iPhone photos, and if there're a few
that I want to do real work with, I simply Export and take them into my
LR catalog.

Old October 21st 15, 07:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

wrote:

On 10/21/2015 09:30 AM, nospam wrote:
what exists on linux is garbage.

gimp, krita, etc., are pretty good for free, and they are open source
editable

Gimps 8bit crap! Whatever good have you managed to do with krita???

32 bit is coming with gimp 3

krita seems to have nice brush capability ...

16bit has been awaiting immediate release since 10years or something.
There was code donated through the Film-Gimp project and successfully
implemented in Cinepaint. The latter was good stuff while it was under
active development... The Gimp Project through all that away. No it
nothing but a entry level tool for web design and has nothing to offer
those who take photography serious.

Last time I checked Krita had nothing to offer the photographer, and
does not pretend that either.

https://krita.org/
--
teleportation kills
Old October 21st 15, 07:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Tony Cooper wrote:

On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 17:36:52 +0200, android wrote:

In article ,
Tony Cooper wrote:

On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 10:55:29 -0400, Davoud wrote:

nospam:
what exists on linux is garbage.

Dale:
gimp, krita, etc., are pretty good for free, and they are open source
editable

How clueless can you be? Toy graphic apps that the user can hack for
her own purposes? Get serious. Pro-level graphics work, still and
video, require a lot of work. No graphics pro is interested in hacking
the apps, but only interested in productivity. And that brings us to
Macintosh for the most demanding, Windows for those who are willing to
settle for second best.

Please explain how the OS determines how a pro program like Adobe
Photoshop or Adobe Lightroom becomes more or less demanding to use.

The Mac is simply more comfortable and more configurable...

'splain that, please.

Sure...

How is a Mac more comfortable to use when working in Photoshop or
Lightroom compared to using either/both in Windows?

What is more configurable when using a Mac when working in Photoshop
or Lightroom compared to using either/both in Windows?

It's the totality of that that you work with. If you unlike most of us
chose to use only those mentioned products and have your computer
strictly for that purpose...

You get that
that you want faster. I'm using both. Right now I'm using the w8 laptop
for scanning while doing other stuff, like inspect the scans on the Mac.

Dunno about scanning software, but tell me how you get what you want
faster using a Mac compared to a Windows machine. To quote our
eminent expert in everything, using "similarly equipped machines".

I said that I'm scanning through a w8 laptop. It's a very simple task...

I have no problem with someone who feels a Mac is the better system
overall, but you seem to be saying that there are advantages to being
on a Mac when in Photoshop or Lightroom.

No. I said that the Mac is more comfortable and more configurable... You
really have to know how to use both system on a more than basic level to
challenge that.
--
teleportation kills
Old October 21st 15, 07:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Dale
wrote:

Gimps 8bit crap! Whatever good have you managed to do with krita???

32 bit is coming with gimp 3

still playing catch-up to photoshop.

krita seems to have nice brush capability ...

welcome to the 1980s.