abstract/compromise working spaces

Old October 14th 15, 10:48 PM posted to sci.engr.color,sci.image.processing,rec.photo.digital,comp.graphics.apps.gimp,rec.photo.darkroom
Dale[_5_]

Default abstract/compromise working spaces

there may be a lack of colorimetric working spaces in the image
manipulation programs I currently know

spaces uvL,xyY,XYZ,CIECAM,CIELUV,CIELAB, etc. are more device
independent and more relational to vision, manipulation algorithms are
more related to vision in this case, and you could use an monitor on/off
profile to see what you are doing

I see the value of a output device working space in addition to a
monitor profile for hard proofing, something you can get your hands on

I see the value monitor device working space for soft proofing,
something you can see

I see the value of abstract/compromise working spaces for consumer use,
until the systems catch up to professional

I see the value of more abstract/compromise working spaces for
professional digital capture paradigms that can't be characterized, like
no time to capture a target and measure it for the particular scene(s)
being captured

is it just my distance from the industry or is colorimetry still
something that it being avoided?

--
Dale
http://www.dalekelly.org
Old October 15th 15, 12:47 AM posted to sci.engr.color,sci.image.processing,rec.photo.digital,comp.graphics.apps.gimp,rec.photo.darkroom
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 17:48:15 -0400, Dale wrote:

[...]

What exactly do you mean by 'colorimetry' and 'avoided' in this
context?

Eric Stevens
Old October 15th 15, 01:53 AM posted to sci.engr.color,sci.image.processing,rec.photo.digital,comp.graphics.apps.gimp,rec.photo.darkroom
Dale[_5_]

On 10/14/2015 07:47 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
[...]

I was defining colorimetry as the eye sees it and systems who try to
provide the eye imagery, like CIE, probably should have added
HSL/HSV/HSB as color spaces more suitable for selection

I didn't define "avoid", but most often I have seen things like sRGB
being used as a color standard, instead of using something like CIECAM

I realize the rods of the eye are close to RGB sensitivity, but device
manufacturers maybe trying to set their device/filters/etc. as the
standard RGB and avoid the rigor of spectral or colorimetric software
algorithms poised toward LMS, embedded or not

the sRGB video standard is setup for monitors/cameras and easy
translation, for consumer applications who prefer "pleasing" images over
accurate images this seems to have worked since video standard has been
around a long while

if I was a professional and was going to manipulate an image, or sell my
services delivering the image based on some kind of approval, I would
rather start with an accurate image

maybe its over-engineering, and good enough color might just really be
good enough color, but Windows Vista has CIECAM in the OS

--
Dale
http://www.dalekelly.org