Best photo editing monitor: CRT or LCD?

Old April 16th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Best photo editing monitor: CRT or LCD?

Which is best for photo editing, CRT or LCD?

Which requires the least calibration? (frequency of calibration).

Which has best angles of view?

Which has the best color range / color-resolution?

Which is more harmful/fatiguing to the eye?

Which witch is which?

Specific products (CRT or LCD) that are esp. good for photo editing?

Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old April 16th 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Alan Browne" wrote in message

Which is best for photo editing, CRT or LCD?

Which requires the least calibration? (frequency of calibration).

Which has best angles of view?

Which has the best color range / color-resolution?

Which is more harmful/fatiguing to the eye?

Which witch is which?

Specific products (CRT or LCD) that are esp. good for photo editing?

Alan.

CRT are supposed to be worse on the eye. You need one that runs at 100hz or
higher really. Although LCD have a lower refresh rate on paper that is only
relevant to high frame rate games. LCD tech doesn't need to refresh
regularly as each pixel stays on simultaneously until needed to change
rather than scans. Refresh rate is more accurately described as response
time. LCDs of course have lower radiation and consume less power. As for
colour accuracy and angle of view well the crt wins the angle of view. As
far as brightness and contrast the gap is closer between top end lcds
nowadays than when they first came out. As for consistency you have to
leave a crt monitor on 45 mins to warm up before calibrating according to
vincent at photo I.

As for resolution that comes down to dot pitch and screen size. The larger
the screen and smaller the dots the higher the res. Of course LCDs work
best only at their highest setting. Then there is the mask (memory a bit
foggy here) on crts. One is a sort of grid and ,, hell i forget now.
Basically if you want top quality colour management and high res etc you are
looking at 20 or 21" sony or mitsubishi diamond. Its not just the size, the
correct kind of screen mask or whatever was important even if they weren't
big you were still talking LCD screen prices for the best CRT. As for
colour range there were colourmanagement settings in photoshop that show the
reduced gamut of actual printers displayed and it would show a patch of
colour and the closest rendition the printer could do. Might be
softproofing. So setting everything to adobe 1998 and forget about it isn't
the case.

Making sure you are not double profiling with the printer output, i.e the
printer driver making adjustments after photoshop can be tricky. In case
you are wondering i have just started looking into this in earnest and have
just ordered the most expensive calibrator i can afford. I will conquor
this before i splash out on A3+ printer with 8 or more inks.

Old April 16th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Alan Browne wrote:

Which is best for photo editing, CRT or LCD?

CRT, generally. You need a really good LCD to have one that's good for
photo editing; cheaper ones won't be up to the task even after calibration
and profiling.

Which requires the least calibration? (frequency of calibration).

I don't know that it makes a difference.

Which has best angles of view?

A good LCD isn't sensitive to it (and a not-so-good one isn't suitable
for photo editing at all anyway). I can look at mine at nearly 90
degrees, so it's just a sliver of light, and it doesn't darken or change
color.

Which has the best color range / color-resolution?

The most expensive CRTs.

Which is more harmful/fatiguing to the eye?

CRTs.

Specific products (CRT or LCD) that are esp. good for photo editing?

Apple's Cinema Displays are excellent. The Dells that use the same LCD
component are probably just as good as well, though I haven't seen them
myself to compare. Neither will be as good as a really expensive CRT
that costs and weighs as much as a car, of course, but at least you can
get it into your house without a crane and it won't cause your desk to
collapse and plunge through the floor into the basement. Sure, I'd love
to have one of those ones that can display the entire Adobe RGB gamut,
but really, let's be reasonable.

--
Jeremy |
Old April 16th 06, 11:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

John A. Stovall wrote:

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 12:11:59 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

Which is best for photo editing, CRT or LCD?

Which requires the least calibration? (frequency of calibration).

Which has best angles of view?

Which has the best color range / color-resolution?

Which is more harmful/fatiguing to the eye?

Which witch is which?

Specific products (CRT or LCD) that are esp. good for photo editing?

Here is the monitor for photo editing.

Cintiq

http://www.wacom.com/lcdtablets/index.cfm

My next monitor will be one of these.

Yep. There's nothing else like it on the market. Not cheap though.

I really wish that someone would bring out a tablet PC with full Cintiq
functionality. _That_ would be sweet.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old April 17th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

wrote:

Which is best for photo editing, CRT or LCD?

Which requires the least calibration? (frequency of calibration).

Which has best angles of view?

Which has the best color range / color-resolution?

Which is more harmful/fatiguing to the eye?

Which witch is which?

Specific products (CRT or LCD) that are esp. good for photo editing?

Alan.

A tope end CRT, Sony's broadcast units are good.
Most of the people touting LCDs never owned good CRTs
and don't know that they are far better than LCDs currently
on the market. Kodaks OLED design has great potential,
if it would only come to market.
-Rich
Old April 17th 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

wrote:

Which is best for photo editing, CRT or LCD?

CRT

Which requires the least calibration? (frequency of calibration).

LCD

Which has best angles of view?

CRT

Which has the best color range / color-resolution?

CRT

Which is more harmful/fatiguing to the eye?

LCD

Which witch is which?

Specific products (CRT or LCD) that are esp. good for photo editing?

NEC FE950 19" flat CRT

Alan.

Old April 17th 06, 07:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Alan Browne wrote:

Which is best for photo editing, CRT or LCD?

OLED (or Plasma as long as the OLED screens offered are not much bigger
than a stamp.)

-Michael
Old April 17th 06, 07:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Kodaks OLED design has great potential,
if it would only come to market.

AFAIK, not only Kodak is _very_ busy pushing OLED technology, but
supposedly all companies in that market.

I saw very nice (but also just very small) engineering samples by (I
think) Panasonic.

-Michael
Old April 17th 06, 08:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

wrote in message

Which is more harmful/fatiguing to the eye?

LCD

My experience has been the exact opposite - unless you go really top end,
most CRTs tend to have convergence error in the corners, which I find very
hard on the eyes - LCDs on the other hand I find clear and sharp across all
of their real estate.

Top end CRTs were always very fussy "customers" - and very sensitive to
magnetic interferance. Even the earth's magnetic field had to be adjusted
out.

I have a feeling it's another of those "right tool for the job" scenarios -
in the printing that I'm doing for my customers, memory colours like skin
tones / skies / grasses etc have to be accurate - I'm using an aging 17" NEC
SuncMaster 171N - and we've not had any issues since it was calibrated
(before was a different story) - I can't honestly see how even a
top-of-the-line CRT would get us any improvement that we'd be able to
notice.

Just my 10c worth.

Old April 17th 06, 10:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Michael Schnell" wrote in message

Alan Browne wrote:

Which is best for photo editing, CRT or LCD?

OLED (or Plasma as long as the OLED screens offered are not much bigger
than a stamp.)

For those so inclined ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLED