Scanning negatives with xsane

Old July 5th 04, 01:47 PM
Gavin Cameron

Default Scanning negatives with xsane

Hi all,

I realise that my question falls into the Linux domain, but I though I'd
get a photography point of view too.

Last night I was trying to scan some negatives into xsane (Linux front
end scanning application for "sane") that my mate took this weekend of
us jumping off 46 foot cliffs into waterfalls (not that it matters, but
I'm using an Epson Perfection 1660 photo scanner).

The thing is it appears to be a Polaroid 35mm film. I tried all of the
different preset settings for negatives (normal, kodak, fuji etc) and
none of them give the correct colours from the negative.

The film in question comes from this exact camera which he bought in Argos:

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...roductId=95190

Unfortunately, the polaroid web site doesn't even list it, so I can't
get any more information on the film!

It was only bought a few days ago and processed yesterday. The photos
turned out perfectly, so nothing wrong with the negative itself. He just
forgot to ask them to digitise the images onto a CD, so he's scanning
them in, but I thought I may get better results scanning the negatives.

Anyway, the "standard negative" preset looks way too yellow/brown. All
others presets just get too distorted in other colours. I'm sure I could
manually play with indepentantly adjusting the RGB brightness/contrast
to get a good representation, but it'll take time :-(

So I was wondering if anyone here has scanned these negatives before and
could offer some advise on getting the colours correct.

TIA,
Gav.

--

Gavin Cameron email: I don't wibble
Senior Hardware Development Engineer http://www.baesystems.com

"In a world without fences ... who needs Gates?"