Dual Battery charger for BP511 batteries

Old April 1st 05, 10:58 PM
David H. Lipman

Default Dual Battery charger for BP511 batteries

From: "John A. Stovall"

| I'm look for a battery charger which can charge two BP511's at time.
| The only one I find is Canon which doesn't have a car power outlet
| adapter and is ridiculously expense.
|
| Anyone know of any alternative?
| ************************************************** ****
|
| "History is a vast early warning system"
|
| Norman Cousins

Use an Inverter. I use a 375watt TrippLite unit. $41.00 US You can use the inverter for
other AC appliances as well which makes getting an inverter more versatile than just a 12vdc
battery changer for the Canon battery.
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...9&loc=101&sp=1

You can have two Power 2000 single units connected to the above (2 AC sockets) and two
single battery charger units cost less than one dual battery charger unit.

Canon Dual battery charger $110.00
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=208587&is=REG

Canon Single battery charger $50.00
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=278232&is=REG

single non-Canon battery charger w/auto adapter $30.00
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=326707&is=REG

single non-Canon battery charger w/auto adapter $30.00
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=248449&is=REG

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Old April 2nd 05, 12:21 AM
John Francis

John A. Stovall wrote:
I'm look for a battery charger which can charge two BP511's at time.
The only one I find is Canon which doesn't have a car power outlet
adapter and is ridiculously expense.

Anyone know of any alternative?

My one (from Canon, and indeed ridiculously expensive) does have a
car adapter, and can accept two BP511s. It doesn't actually charge
them both at the same time - it charges them is sequence.

The model number is CG-560

Old April 2nd 05, 05:19 PM
Steven M. Scharf

"John A. Stovall" wrote in message
I was looking at the CA-PS400 and they claim it charges two at once .

True, and then you need a DC cord, in addition to the $100 charger.

In another forum it was pointed out two of the cheaper charger and an
inverter (which I have would be cheaper). I may go with that for car
charging.

Just get two of the Lenmar DVC-511 ($39), and it comes with AC and DC cords.

http://lenmar.com/product_list.asp?p...&man ufacture
r=Canon&category=9,16,18

You could even do a custom wiring harness to run both off of a single DC
plug (not sure if the AC adapter puts out enough current for two chargers,
but you could build a DC harness that would work, and you could always buy a
higher current AC adapter for two chargers).

See http://tinylink.com/?PIeMeuHZQZ (link to the Lenmar charger on Amzaon.
$39, free shipping.

Old April 2nd 05, 09:08 PM
John Francis

In article et,
Steven M. Scharf wrote:
"John A. Stovall" wrote in message
.. .
I was looking at the CA-PS400 and they claim it charges two at once .

True, and then you need a DC cord, in addition to the $100 charger.

Is $100 supposed to be expensive? The charger I mentioned, which
I purchased when I was taking my PowerShot G1 on a long trip abroad,
ended up costing me $160 - nobody except Canon had them at the time.
Then top that off with another $60 for a second BP-511. (I could have
got that a little cheaper from another source, but not by very much).
Still, at least mine included the car adapter cord at no extra charge.

Old April 3rd 05, 03:42 PM
Steven M. Scharf

"John A. Stovall" wrote in message
On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 20:37:21 GMT, John A. Stovall
wrote:

My solution: It's not much if any cheaper than the Canon but more
flexible.

1 - SPP-04 - Lenmar - Power Port 4 Outlet DC Power Socket

2 - LENMAR DVC-511 OmniSource® AC/DC Power/Charger System for Canon
(LENMAR DVC511)

You could build a wiring harness that ran both chargers off of a single 12V
DC plug.

Just buy one of these
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...arch&item=CLP-
Y&type=store and cut off the socket ends, cut the cigarette lighter plugs
off of the cords that come with the DVC-511s and and splice the cords to the
Y. It'll be less bulky. I hate all those big old cigarette lighter
splitters.

Old April 3rd 05, 04:50 PM
David H. Lipman

From: "John A. Stovall"

| On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 20:37:21 GMT, John A. Stovall
| wrote:
|
| My solution: It's not much if any cheaper than the Canon but more
| flexible.
|
| 1 - SPP-04 - Lenmar - Power Port 4 Outlet DC Power Socket
|
| 2 - LENMAR DVC-511 OmniSource® AC/DC Power/Charger System for Canon
| (LENMAR DVC511)
|
| Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
|
| ************************************************** ****************
|
| "The past is foreign country: they do things differently there."
|
| _The Go-Between_
| L.P. Hartley
| 1895 - 1972

The cigarette lighter splitter could be found at your local Radio Shack. I saw a similar
product there when I bought a cigrette lighter socket with battery post clamps at a local
store.

The Lenmar DVC-511 is $70.00
http://lenmar.com/details.asp?model=...facturer=Canon

While the Power-2000 QP-7600 @ B&H is only $30.00
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=248449&is=REG

Both are AC and 12vdc. What do you expect to gain by paying 2 1/3 more with Lenmar ?
I point this out becuase in your original post you declared what you looked for "...is
ridiculously expense."

I looked at Lenmar products and they are way overpriced.

For example...

Power-2000 ACD-674, BP-511 replacement @ 1.5Ahr, $30.00
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=232733&is=REG

Orginal Canon BP-511 @ 1.39Ah $50.00
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=327022&is=REG

vs.

Lenmar DLC511, BP-511 replacement @ 1.3Ahr, $65.00

Old April 4th 05, 05:55 AM
Steven M. Scharf

"David H. Lipman" wrote in message

The Lenmar DVC-511 is $70.00

http://lenmar.com/details.asp?model=...char gers&man
ufacturer=Canon

It is not $70, it is $39. See http://tinylink.com/?PIeMeuHZQZ

The Power 2000 chargers have problems in fully charging batteries, making
the slight extra cost of the Lenmar units well worth it.

For batteries, the best deals are at Sterlingtek.com, see
http://sterlingtek.com/ln03-canon-bp-511-dlc511.html, but the Lenmar DLC-511
is $30, see
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...100553-7912767
with free shipping.

I looked at Lenmar products and they are way overpriced.

You are comparing the MSRP of the Lenmar products, with the street prices of
the other products. If you compare street prices, then there is little or no
difference. Probably if you compare the MSRPs there would also be little or
no difference.

Old April 4th 05, 06:00 AM
Steven M. Scharf

wrote:

My solution: It's not much if any cheaper than the Canon but more
flexible.

Also look at: http://store.yahoo.com/sterlingtek/canbp511acba.html

and http://store.yahoo.com/sterlingtek/spp02.html though the splitter is
less at

Old April 4th 05, 06:12 PM
David H. Lipman

From: "Steven M. Scharf"

| "David H. Lipman" wrote in message

The Lenmar DVC-511 is $70.00

| http://lenmar.com/details.asp?model=...char gers&man
| ufacturer=Canon
|
| It is not $70, it is $39. See http://tinylink.com/?PIeMeuHZQZ
|
| The Power 2000 chargers have problems in fully charging batteries, making
| the slight extra cost of the Lenmar units well worth it.
|
| For batteries, the best deals are at Sterlingtek.com, see
| http://sterlingtek.com/ln03-canon-bp-511-dlc511.html, but the Lenmar DLC-511
| is $30, see
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...100553-7912767
| with free shipping.

I looked at Lenmar products and they are way overpriced.

| You are comparing the MSRP of the Lenmar products, with the street prices of
| the other products. If you compare street prices, then there is little or no
| difference. Probably if you compare the MSRPs there would also be little or
| no difference.

You have a good point of MSRP vs retail prices. I went directly to Lenmar's web site based
upon a previous post pointing to the Lenmar site and I must admit I did not search for
retail prices vs the manufacturer prices.

However, a smart shopper would not get from Amazon, they would go to trusted sources. For
example; B&H

I have no experience with SterlingTek. However, the price of their no-name brand battery @
1.8Ahr /*is*/ the best.

I have bookmarked SterlingTek and I will check their references for possible purchases at a
future date. Thanx !

BTW: None of the information I have heard has been negative in anyway on Power2000
products.

Old April 4th 05, 07:50 PM
Frank ess

David H. Lipman wrote:
From: "Steven M. Scharf"

[...]

I have two of the SterlingTek 511s. they were still going at 1500 shots,
plenty of flash and viewing, when I broke down and recharged them for a
lengthy project away from the power grid. _Via_ Amazon.com they came to
about $16.00 each, including (upper limit of acceptability, my view)
S&H. Quick delivery, friendly communication.

Assuming their batteries for other uses are of equal performance, I'd
recommend them. Recently I aquired a SterlingTek for Minolta Dimmidge Xt
and one for Canon S500. Haven't used them enough to say anything, yet.

--
Frank ess