Monitor for photo editing on Macbook?

Old January 27th 16, 10:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

Default Monitor for photo editing on Macbook?

On 23/01/2016 21:18, newshound wrote:
OK I am fairly convinced by the Affinity Photo trial, but I think I need
a better monitor for my Macbook Pro (my current LG monitor on the PC is
showing its age). Obviously, Apple will be happy to sell me something
(at a price), but any suggestions for good products somewhere between
budget and Apple prices? Any good review sites?

Guys

Thanks very much for all the helpful and interesting comments. It turns
out that simply by connecting the Thunderbolt port of my (reasonably
new) MacBook Pro (retina) to the DVI port of the 22 inch LG Flatron
(W2252TQ) I get a pretty good image. (I've only every used VGA
connections for monitors before, I have a Radeon HD 5450 with DVI in the
PC, perhaps DVI to DVI would be better).

I can certainly see the case for going up to 24 or 27 inch; at the
moment I am working my way up the learning curve in Affinity Photo. It
would be nice to have a basic manual or handbook for this to remind me
about the icons and menus, but I expect I will get there eventually.

Mr Duck's patient and helpful comments are particularly appreciated!

Steve
Old January 27th 16, 10:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
newshound wrote:

Thanks very much for all the helpful and interesting comments. It turns
out that simply by connecting the Thunderbolt port of my (reasonably
new) MacBook Pro (retina) to the DVI port of the 22 inch LG Flatron
(W2252TQ) I get a pretty good image.

that requires an adapter.

(I've only every used VGA
connections for monitors before,

you must be kidding. dvi has been around for 15 years or so.

I have a Radeon HD 5450 with DVI in the
PC, perhaps DVI to DVI would be better).

doesn't matter.
Old January 27th 16, 11:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-01-27 22:43:54 +0000, newshound said:

[...]

Here are the Affinity Photo keyboard shortcut layouts. This is one
reference, it isn't much, but if you use shortcuts it can be helful:
http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/affinity-docs/Photo/shortcuts/Affinity-Photo-Shortcuts-Cheat-Sheet.pdf

Savageduck

Old January 27th 16, 11:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 27/01/2016 22:48, nospam wrote:
In article ,
newshound wrote:

Thanks very much for all the helpful and interesting comments. It turns
out that simply by connecting the Thunderbolt port of my (reasonably
new) MacBook Pro (retina) to the DVI port of the 22 inch LG Flatron
(W2252TQ) I get a pretty good image.

that requires an adapter.

(I've only every used VGA
connections for monitors before,

you must be kidding. dvi has been around for 15 years or so.

I don't doubt it. But all I have ever needed from the time of 386 PCs is
VGA.

I have a Radeon HD 5450 with DVI in the
PC, perhaps DVI to DVI would be better).

doesn't matter.

I am only noting that I get a better image on this monitor from the Mac,
via DVI, than I do from the PC with a VGA lead. I kept this monitor
through the last two PC upgrades, I didn't think it was state of the art
and wasn't expecting anything better. I might well not have turned all
the right knobs on the PC.
Old January 27th 16, 11:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 27/01/2016 23:21, Savageduck wrote:
On 2016-01-27 22:43:54 +0000, newshound said:

[...]

Ah yes, I did see that somewhere but hadn't got round to printing it
until now!

It was remembering my way around all the on-screen icons that was
bothering me, but perhaps of them are defined on those sheets. Also I
need to get my brain around Personas.

Being retired, of course I don't have much spare time.
Old January 27th 16, 11:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
newshound wrote:

Thanks very much for all the helpful and interesting comments. It turns
out that simply by connecting the Thunderbolt port of my (reasonably
new) MacBook Pro (retina) to the DVI port of the 22 inch LG Flatron
(W2252TQ) I get a pretty good image.

that requires an adapter.

(I've only every used VGA
connections for monitors before,

you must be kidding. dvi has been around for 15 years or so.

I don't doubt it. But all I have ever needed from the time of 386 PCs is
VGA.

for a 386 pc, vga was what you had.

a lot has changed since 386 days.

macs have had dvi for around 15 years, and more recently, mini
displayport, hdmi and thunderbolt, all of which blow away vga.

I have a Radeon HD 5450 with DVI in the
PC, perhaps DVI to DVI would be better).

doesn't matter.

I am only noting that I get a better image on this monitor from the Mac,
via DVI, than I do from the PC with a VGA lead. I kept this monitor
through the last two PC upgrades, I didn't think it was state of the art
and wasn't expecting anything better. I might well not have turned all
the right knobs on the PC.

that's because dvi is much better than vga.

use dvi with your pc instead of vga.
Old January 28th 16, 12:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 27/01/2016 23:39, nospam wrote:
In article ,
newshound wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I appreciate the update. Sorry if I might like a dinosaur, but I
wasn't doing large format photography, most of my PC use was for
engineering calculations and technical writing reports. I was doing
investigative work where 4 MB jpegs taken with compacts were more than
good enough. It's only comparatively recently, since moving to X-trans
and an HD camcorder, that I've gone past the limits of low spec desktop
PCs.
Old January 28th 16, 06:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
newshound wrote:

I am only noting that I get a better image on this monitor from the Mac,
via DVI, than I do from the PC with a VGA lead. I kept this monitor
through the last two PC upgrades, I didn't think it was state of the art
and wasn't expecting anything better. I might well not have turned all
the right knobs on the PC.

that's because dvi is much better than vga.

use dvi with your pc instead of vga.

Thanks, I appreciate the update. Sorry if I might like a dinosaur, but I
wasn't doing large format photography, most of my PC use was for
engineering calculations and technical writing reports. I was doing
investigative work where 4 MB jpegs taken with compacts were more than
good enough. It's only comparatively recently, since moving to X-trans
and an HD camcorder, that I've gone past the limits of low spec desktop
PCs.

you don't have to be doing any photography, large or small, to
appreciate the differences between dvi and vga.