B&H puts another local camera store out of business (with my help, unfortunately)

Old May 28th 07, 01:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.large-format,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
darkroommike

Default B&H puts another local camera store out of business (with myhelp, unfortunately)

Wow, I don't know where to start. Retail is not about the
lowest price and has never been about the lowest price. A
mail order or online store simply doesn't have the overhead
that a retail store has and can sell on a much lower margin.

BUT: Try getting a couple more rolls of 120 BW on Saturday
afternoon to complete a job from your online buddy.

OR: talking them into special ordering a new kind of film
just so you can try a couple of rolls.

OR EVEN: trying camera after camera on a Saturday, with no
intention of buying, just to satisfy your curiosity.

TRY TO FIND: online free classes for new camera users.

Service and added value is the retailer's ally, try that big
far-away box. BTW my retailer always had a return privilege
and would handle warranty service for me. As well as
shipping for out of warranty repairs. They still folded
since there were jerks that ran them out of business based
only on price.

darkroommike

=(8) wrote:
Thats the problem with local shops they don't feel that they have to
compete with the places on the internet. A local store here closed up
after nearly 50 years because they didn't feel they had to compete. They
sold everything at suggested retail, all sales were final even if a
product was defective they wanted you to deal with the maker, etc. I
told them that they can do that and stay in business and they couldn't
now they are gone.

We have one more store here a Shutterbugs they charge suggested retail
for nearly everything, they too didn't have a return policy until I
e-mailed them and told them that without a return policy I would have to
continue to shop online so they now have a 15 day return policy though
the stress that it isn't to be used to buy something, test it out and
then return it if you don't like it. It is incase there is something
wrong with the item (defective).

It floors me how many local stores simply don't get it. I will always
shop online when I can get a better deal. They need to understand this
or they go bye bye plain and simple. I have no sympothy for businesses
this stupid. This is a global world now when it comes to shopping we
don't have to put up with high priced local stores with poor customer
policies, support and before sale support. Screw'em is what I say if
they can't keep up or are too worried about the extra couple of bucks.

=(8)

Old May 28th 07, 02:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.large-format,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Matt Clara

"David Dyer-Bennet" wrote in message
t...
Michael Meissner wrote:
David Dyer-Bennet writes:

Harvard Camera (that had a thread a while ago in one of the groups I'm
in)
once told me they paid more for that model slide projector than the
advertised price at Caldor, and I should definitely buy it there.

And if memory serves they went out of business within the last year. It
was
always somewhat sad when I went in there, where they didn't usually have
stuff
that I wanted. So now, if I want to try stuff out or talk to a salesman,
drive into Melrose to go to Hunts.

I was living in Hudson MA from 1981-1984, and used Harvard Camera then.
Back at that point they were looking fairly healthy. I've still got the
darkroom stuff I bought from them, including a 4x5 enlarger that will
probably never be set up again (I think we're past the point where I can
sell it to somebody who really wants to use it).

I really want to use it, David--I'm following several on Ebay right now.
Please contact me off list, if you'd like to continue the conversation:
mattclara (at) mattclara.com

--
www.mattclara.com

Old May 28th 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.large-format,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Lobby Dosser

darkroommike wrote:

BUT: Try getting a couple more rolls of 120 BW on Saturday
afternoon to complete a job from your online buddy.

Strange but True, the quickest place for me to get 120 anything any day is
the local Ritz.
Old May 28th 07, 03:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.large-format,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
[email protected]

On May 27, 8:43 pm, Lobby Dosser
wrote:
darkroommike wrote:
BUT: Try getting a couple more rolls of 120 BW on Saturday
afternoon to complete a job from your online buddy.

Strange but True, the quickest place for me to get 120 anything any day is
the local Ritz.

Now if we were to discuss a local camera store that has done well, we
should look at Larmon Photo in suburban Philadelphia: sure it has had
its ups and downs and is on its second owner since 1939, but they have
a business model which works for them and it is on service and
printing, with hard product as a secondary (tertiary) business. Anyone
who wants to can find the online lowest price (and they will try to
sell you an extended warranty, which is where the extra cost negates
everything..resist, resist)
Larmon will do beautiful custom printing, have knowledgeable staff
who, in some cases have been there years, and make an effort to build
a relationship with the customer...

I worked there for three years in the 1980-s (Birth of the FM2, a
beautiful day), and consider the store manager a friend still (Hi Dave
Porter 8-))... I missed the day that someone entered an outlying store
with 2 old 35mm cameras and the manager declined to offer to buy them
because he had no idea of a good price....
.... and one was a dial set Leica B.... oooohhhhhh...

anyway, good times and they will still be there in 20 years.

David

Old May 28th 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.large-format,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Michael Meissner

Paul J Gans writes:

In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Roy Smith wrote:
Paul J Gans wrote:
B&H is branching out into all sorts of other gear too like computers.
I hope they don't lose sight of their primary business.

I'm guessing their primary business is making money. If they can do that
selling cameras, they'll sell cameras. If they can make money selling
computers, they'll sell computers. You either evolve or become extinct.

Oh, I think they are making money selling camera. Their
"new" businesses are branch-offs from photography. For
example they sell binoculars and spotting scopes. That's
pretty close.

They started selling Apple computers years ago when they were
the preferred choice for folks doing Photoshop and similiar
things. (They now sell Photoshop too.) Since then they've
added other computers.

And they have added iPods and similar as well.

The front to back bit seems reversed at B&H. There's more
room in back and that's where the crowds are -- in the
photography sections.

Well generally you want the main items in the back so that you can tempt people
to buy other stuff as they walk to the back to get what they came for, and
obviously put the impulse items near the cash register.

--
Michael Meissner
email:
Old May 28th 07, 05:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.large-format,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
John McWilliams

On 2007-05-26 18:02:05 -0700, Rita Ä Berkowitz ritaberk2O04 @aol.com
said:

TOTALLY IRRELAVANT! I don't believe in passing out subsidies nor do I
feel
I have an obligation to enrich a local merchant. The merchant need be
very
competitive if they want loyalty and a chance at survival.

Ah, yes. Loyalty. I have heard well spoken of in some quarters, usually
by people who do not deserve it.

And in this case, by one who's not likely to be able to give it. (not
referring to W.E.)

--
john mcwilliams

Old May 28th 07, 10:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.large-format,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Charlie Self

On May 26, 1:24�pm, Oliver Costich wrote:
On Sat, 26 May 2007 10:26:33 -0400, "Matt Clara"
wrote:

Yes, Castle Photo of Lansing, in business for over 25 years, is closing its
doors. *I did buy all my darkroom chemistry from them, but B&H and all the
rest (meaning Adorama and a couple others) can't be beat for most items,
including paper, even though it commands a premium in shipping 'cause it's
quite heavy. *Castle Photo was a great resource, though (if you talked to
the right individuals), and I will miss them.

The one good thing to come out of this is great sale prices as they seek to
dump their inventory. *I picked up a bunch of stuff there yesterday for
40-50% off, including this ballhead for my medium and large format
equipment:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/sitem/sk...89&is=REG(cost me $75--they
normally charged $125 for it). *Also, a couple filters, some photo paper,
two fidelity 4x5 holders, a strobo frame reflective light modifier, and a
couple other odds and ends. *Paid $250 for what would have cost me $450 (at
their prices, anyway).
Yes, yes, I know--I'm part of the problem.

The real culprit in the demise of the local photo store is Ritz in its
various guises. In south Florida, where there millions of people,
there are about 4 real photo stores and all are more than 25 miles
away (far north or south), if you exclude the Ritz/Wolf ones.- Hide quoted text -

I tend to agree. Our real photo store has been gone for over five
years now, bought by Ritz, who kept the sites, but...oh, man! It
became a big, "Why bother" after I went to the main store again.

I had tried a Ritz years ago, when I was looking for a small bag in a
hurry. The good store had run out of the ones I wanted and didn't have
a good sub. Walked into a Roanoke mall, went into Ritz, and asked the
girl about the bags they had. She waved an arm at the shelves and went
back to chewing her gum and staring into space. I mean, like, after
all, I wasn't a teenager so I didn't exist.

I checked the four or five bags they had on the shelves, and tried to
ask if they had any others in stock. Blank stare in return.

I left.

Old May 28th 07, 10:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.large-format,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Charlie Self

On May 26, 1:42�pm, Rita � Berkowitz ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote:
Oliver Costich wrote:
The real culprit in the demise of the local photo store is Ritz in its
various guises. In south Florida, where there millions of people,
there are about 4 real photo stores and all are more than 25 miles
away (far north or south), if you exclude the Ritz/Wolf ones.

Not really. *It's all about the bottom line. *If a store on the internet or
local has the best price on items I want they get my money. *It's very hard
for local (in state) stores to compete with on-line merchants since the fact
that one can order on-line and not pay any sales tax. * In most cases, the
savings alone from this is the dealmaker. *And my local store is great, but
they usually don't have the items I want when I want them. *Of course, they
could order them, but why when I could do the same and have the item sitting
in my hands the next business day? *Local shops are a thing of the past.

Rita

Not totally. Shipping blurs the line here. Except for very expensive
items, shipping often equals or exceeds the cost of sales tax, which
we're supposed to be paying anyway.

In my case, convenience is the dealmaker. I have a minimum round trip
of 70 miles to look over a photo store's products. Yes, I can call
first and see if they have what I want, but that's not always
helpful---sometimes, today's real photo store help is no more
qualified than those hired by chains like Ritz.

The shopping experience has changed. To get an idea of what is needed
to survive in small-item retail, you can check out some of the ebay
"stores" for actual photo stores. One method is no longer enough.

Old May 28th 07, 10:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.large-format,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Charlie Self

On May 26, 9:20�pm, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
Mark B. wrote:
"Matt Clara" wrote in message
Yes, Castle Photo of Lansing, in business for over 25 years, is closing
its doors.

According to B&H's website, they've been in operation for more than 30
years. *Castle Photo apparently didn't do something right.

I've been buying from B&H for more than 30 years. *You didn't think
"mail order" started with the Internet, did you?

IIRC, some time in the 1880s with Monkey Ward's.

Old May 28th 07, 10:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.large-format,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Charlie Self

On May 26, 11:38�pm, Paul J Gans wrote:
In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems David Nebenzahl wrote:

Lobby Dosser spake thus:
Paul J Gans wrote:

I have no idea what shopping will look like in 2015, but I'm
quite sure it won't look anything like it does today.

I can remember 20 or so years ago reading about what shopping would look
like Today. Seemingly we were going to go online and design precisely the
product we wanted - a 2.735 meter long couch, for example - and it would be
delivered the next day.

I still need that couch.

Just as I'm still waiting for that backyard nuclear power plant ...

Yeah, but you can't buy that at your local mom and pop
shop either...

--
* *--- Paul J. Gans

I've always wondered how they thought that made-to-order couch, or
similar items, would be produced overnight. Obvously, the predictor
never walked through a furniture factory or visited a custom furniture
maker.