advice needed on a possible medium format outfit...

Old April 3rd 07, 12:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Scott Speck

Default advice needed on a possible medium format outfit...

I really enjoy working with medium format film, both in my Zero 2000 pinhole
camera, and also in my Yashicamat124 TLR. My question is, could I gain
significantly in final results (how good the pictures look) by getting
either a good medium format rangefinder or slr? I'm assuming here that I'm
always using a tripod and slower films, especially black/white. I'm also
assuming that I would go for good used equipment if I could still achieve
excellent results. Mind you, I normally shoot very SLOW with my Yashicamat
to maximize sharpness -- around f/22. Would a Hasselblad or Mamiya or
Contax (or similar gear) offer just plain "better looking pictures" at f/22
and faster speeds? For example, I've heard that a Mamiya 7 plus their wide
angle lens (expensive!) is a very tough combination to beat in terms of
final pictures results. My goal would be to get a normal lens and perhaps a
wide angle. No flash needed. I'd want to do mostly landscapes, still
subjects, and night photography. I'm not set on needing the capability to
swap film for digital backs, but it might be nice to have that future
option. Also, I'd like swappable film backs. I could load different types
of film into each one and swap as needed. I also like ground glass
focusing, but I've never tried TTL manual focus on a medium format slr, nor
through a rangefinder (though I focus through the lens on my digital slr,
and it's TOUGH). However, it would be NICE to have a medium format that I
could use with onboard metering and autofocus. Just when I want it...

Because I'm used to doing all manual metering/focusing with my Yashicamat
and pinhole, I've also thought that, for the price of a good medium outfit,
why not just get a decent 4x5 with a couple lenses, and toss in a medium
format back? I use my wife's crown graphic, so I'm accustomed to the
format. Note that because I don't do quick setup handheld medium format,
doing all large format instead wouldn't involve some huge loss in
portability or speed for me (I'd get a lighter field 4x5, not some huge,
heavy rail model). However, film cost IS an issue, over time...

Any thoughts here are appreciated. For the whole outfit, I'd be willing to
spend, over time, say, $3,000 or $3,500. Could you please send any replies
to , if possible? Thank you...

Thanks,
Scott Speck

Old April 4th 07, 05:31 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Michael Weinstein[_8_]

On 2007-04-03 07:13:48 -0400, "Scott Speck" said:

[...]

I would recommend the 6x7 Pentax, either the 6x7, the 67 or the 67 II.
All basically the same camera with upgrades. You said you wanted
interchangeable backs but the Pentax is not that costly now, used, so
two bodies would not be unreasonable. It takes 10 exposures on 120 and
20 on 220 film. The format enlarges beautifully with no cropping. The
lenses are excellent and because it is a focal plane camera, the
shutter is in the camera which makes the lenses far less expensive than
their equivalents on the 6x6s. (There is a leaf shutter lens but it's
basically for flash which you say you are not interested in). It is
hand holdable despite the rumors that it is not, especially with the
wooden hand grip, but it is a fine tripod camera. The stories of mirror
slap are similarly overblown, and with the camera on a tripod you can
always use mirror lock up to eliminate that also (only the very very
early models of the 6x7 did not have mirror lockup). All in all a great
landscape camera.

Michael

Old April 4th 07, 10:44 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
darkroommike

Pentax 6x7--great lenses--not sure the earlier models had a
mirror up mode, downside is slow flash synch speed--1/30th.
Electronic shutter so some day no more parts.

Hasselblad, very nice, basic systems with 80mm can be had
for (almost) the price of a nice Yashicamat 124G (other
Yashica 6x6 much cheaper for a reason). Buying accessories
good right now, buying additional lenses can be spendy. The
benchmark to measure all other SLR's against IMHO, some will
score better some worse. Mechanical so they can be serviced
for a long time.

M645, easy to pick up, cheap to buy, electronic so someday
they'll all be paperweights.

Mamiya TLR, I have a C-220 and a C-33 and four lenses, when
I'm out in the field I'm more likely to pick this camera up
over my 'blad. Mechanical again.

RF's, I currently have a Graflex XLRF, cheap with standard
lens but accessory lens can be relatively expensive since
they will also work on 6x9 view cameras. I have just one lens.

darkroommike

Old April 5th 07, 04:57 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Michael Weinstein[_10_]

On 2007-04-04 17:44:52 -0400, darkroommike said:

Pentax 6x7--great lenses--not sure the earlier models had a mirror up
mode, downside is slow flash synch speed--1/30th. Electronic shutter
so some day no more parts.

Camera had mirror lockup as far back as 1979, perhaps earlier. That
means MOST 6x7s and ALL 67s abd 67 II's. Flash sync is lousy but OP
only interested in outdoor landscapes.

Old April 7th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

Scott Speck wrote:

Any thoughts here are appreciated. For the whole outfit, I'd be willing to
spend, over time, say, $3,000 or $3,500. Could you please send any replies
to , if possible? Thank you...

Pentax 67 (any of them)
Mamiya RB67
Hasselblad 500 C/M

All of the above are available used at great prices.

For CAD$2500 I got a 500 C/M in 8+, 80 f/2.8 (9), 150 f/4 (9++), Back,
Case, lens shade, and various odds and ends...

The Mamiya would be a bit of a drag outdoors; the Pentax is very
portable and so is the Hasselblad.

The Pentax does not have a removable back, however.

Cheers,
Alan

--
-- r.p.e.35mm user resource:
http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
Old April 10th 07, 03:31 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
[email protected]

On Apr 3, 6:13 am, "Scott Speck" wrote:
[...]

Why don't you buy an Omega 200 with a couple of backs for grins and
chuckles... you could get all you need for $500

David

Advice needed Kiwiski Digital SLR Cameras 7 July 19th 06 04:40 AM
Advice needed John Digital Photography 0 June 26th 06 03:29 AM
To buy D-70 Advice needed C.M.G. 35mm Photo Equipment 48 November 28th 04 03:47 PM
advice needed please [email protected] 35mm Photo Equipment 6 July 1st 04 04:38 PM
FA: Kowa 6 - Medium Format Camera Outfit Mark Robertson Medium Format Equipment For Sale 2 November 12th 03 10:59 PM