Can you spot the Hasselblad?

Old October 15th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

Default Can you spot the Hasselblad?

Neil Gould wrote:
Recently, Alan Browne posted:

"Never before has the world of photography seen such a lens. The ZEISS
Apo Sonnar T* 4/1700 was developed by Carl Zeiss for a customer with
very high demands and a special interest in long distance wildlife
photography." dpreview

Perhaps he just likes a really narrow DOF... good luck getting those eyes
in focus!

Well, the sweet spot will be at f/8 .. f/11, so a little margin there...

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old October 15th 06, 09:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Neil Gould

Neil Gould wrote:
Recently, Alan Browne posted:

"Never before has the world of photography seen such a lens. The
ZEISS Apo Sonnar T* 4/1700 was developed by Carl Zeiss for a
customer with very high demands and a special interest in long
distance wildlife photography." dpreview

Perhaps he just likes a really narrow DOF... good luck getting those
eyes in focus!

Well, the sweet spot will be at f/8 .. f/11, so a little margin
there...

So, maybe his "wild life" is actually "dead", so that he has time to focus
that thing? ;-)

Neil

Old October 17th 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Scott W

Alan Browne wrote:
Scott W wrote:

much telephoto work with MF just because the lens gets to long. This
lens would not be that much different then using a 500mm lens on a 1.6
crop factor camera, and that is done all the time.

Except that he'll be shooting 56mm x 56mm film, so it's more like 900 -
950mm equivalence scanned at 4000 dpi for a 8800 x 8800 image (78 Mpix),
or drum scanned at 8000 dpi for 311 Mpix...

Or he might be one of those rare film uses who recognizes the limits of
using small areas of film and will scan at 2000 ppi and get a clean
image.

Scott

Old October 18th 06, 03:14 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

Neil Gould wrote:

Perhaps he just likes a really narrow DOF... good luck getting those
eyes in focus!

Well, the sweet spot will be at f/8 .. f/11, so a little margin
there...

So, maybe his "wild life" is actually "dead", so that he has time to focus
that thing? ;-)

... after he actually points it...

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old November 4th 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
[email protected]

Alan Browne wrote:
Lassi Hippeläinen wrote:
Max Perl wrote:

The information I have is that it is the King og Quatar which has
ordered the lens and paid the cost of develoment.

Some people collect pics of airplanes, but maybe the King prefers oil
tankers? With that focal length a big tanker will fill the frame when
more than 10km away.

Wildlife, actually:

"Never before has the world of photography seen such a lens. The ZEISS
Apo Sonnar T* 4/1700 was developed by Carl Zeiss for a customer with
very high demands and a special interest in long distance wildlife
photography." dpreview

Actually this Zeiss statement is hype: Canon made 5000mm lenses for the
1964 Tokyo Olympics which came with their own pedestal and seat, and
had a nitrogen bottle attached so that the photographer could flush the
internal environment of the lens. You could mount a canon FT on it, as
well as a TV camera. When I worked in Photo-Retail in Pennsylvania in
the 80-s, I had an Oil-millionaire ask me if I could find one for
him... then the oil bust....

David.

Old November 5th 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Simon Meeds

The information I have is that it is the King og Quatar which has
ordered the lens and paid the cost of develoment.

The December issue of Outdoor Photography apparently answers some of the
questions people have asked on this group regarding the lens:

"A suited executive from Zeiss told me: 'I wanted my designers to make it
look like a zeppelin!'"

"...Zeiss has actually sold the lens to a keen falconer, who just happens to
be the son of the Emir of Qatar. According to Zeiss... [he] plans to
customise a Land Rover with a turret to support the lens and his Hasselblad
from the open rooftop..."

"And the price for this mammoth feat of optical engineering? 'A million and
a half euros!' exclaimed another delighted Zeiss executive."

Simon

Old November 17th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Bandicoot

"Simon Meeds" wrote in message
The information I have is that it is the King og Quatar which has
ordered the lens and paid the cost of develoment.

The December issue of Outdoor Photography apparently answers some
of the questions people have asked on this group regarding the lens:

"A suited executive from Zeiss told me: 'I wanted my designers to make
it look like a zeppelin!'"

It is not a balloon, it is a Zeppelin!

"...Zeiss has actually sold the lens to a keen falconer, who just happens
to be the son of the Emir of Qatar. According to Zeiss... [he] plans to
customise a Land Rover with a turret to support the lens and his
Hasselblad from the open rooftop..."

That sounds like the Qataris, though I expect it'll actually be a Range
Rover rather than a Landy. The favourite vehicle for falconry there is a
six wheel Rangie, which copes with the sand like nothing else. They often
have full length opening tops, and seats on hydraulic rams so the falconers
can be raised through the roof while hunting. Definitely a rich man's
sport.

Peter

Old November 18th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
marika

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 12:41:39 -0500, Simon Meeds
wrote:

The information I have is that it is the King og Quatar which has
ordered the lens and paid the cost of develoment.

The December issue of Outdoor Photography apparently answers some of the
questions people have asked on this group regarding the lens:

"A suited executive from Zeiss told me: 'I wanted my designers to make it
look like a zeppelin!'"

I heard it was not...so there

"...Zeiss has actually sold the lens to a keen falconer, who just
happens to
be the son of the Emir of Qatar.

and if it is true, it serves em right to watch him