dvd backup problem

Old September 17th 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
jameson

Default dvd backup problem

I have stored approx 3000 jpegs on dvds using SONIC RECORD. They are in
hundreds of folders and after burning each dvd I have picked two folders
from each dvd and opened the files to make sure the images are readable. So
far so good, but today I discovered that there are problems with the folders
containing more than about 100 jpegs (each of about 4MB). The problem is
that I can see a list of each file in the folder on the screen and can also
view the details such as file size, clicking the icons button also works ok,
but thumbnails does not work. Clicking thumbnails gets me about 3/4 of the
images visible and then the computer locks. I also used Irfan View to view
the images and find that after about 20 images everything just stops.

I have tried this on two different laptops, one of them with XP and the
other with XP PROFF, and the same problem occurs.

I did attempt to copy the contents of one of the dvds back to the laptop and
everything was going well until the whole process stopped and a message came
up saying "cyclic redunduncy error" with details of one particular file. I
stopped the copy process and tried to open that file, the image filled half
the screen then everything stopped. I put the dvd in another laptop and it
opened ok.

Finally, I have examined several dvds and the same problem seems to occur on
all the dvds, basically, any folder with more than 1bout 100 jpegs gives me
some bother.

What am I supposed to do. The images are also on portable drives but I
would like to think they are also on something a bit more reliable.

Old September 18th 06, 10:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
POHB

jameson wrote:

Finally, I have examined several dvds and the same problem seems to occur on
all the dvds, basically, any folder with more than 1bout 100 jpegs gives me
some bother.

What am I supposed to do. The images are also on portable drives but I
would like to think they are also on something a bit more reliable.

Don't go thinking DVD-Rs are reliable. Don't rely on any single means
of storing valuable digital data. Sounds like you've done the right
thing by keeping duplicates on portable drives too. Any storage will
degrade over time, make regular verified copies so at least you get
early warning of bit-rot and know that your old media can be read on
your current computer.

Old September 18th 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
poddys

I would definitaly recommend getting a USB HD for backups. They are a
reasonable price these days and you can always keep them offsite too,
although not as small as DVD's.

Given the low price of DVD's I don't even bother with DVD-RW,
preferring to backup nightly to my USB drive and then monthly to DVD
and storing offsite.

Actually I have 2 USB HD's - 1 backs up my main PC every night (holds
over a month of backups), the other I bought for offsite storage - I
will take a full backup of all my systems prior to a major storm (we
live in South Florida) and keep it offsite just in case the worst case
scenario happens.

It's now under $100 for a 250gb USB HD - very affordable given the cost
of losing all your photos.

Old September 18th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jim

"jameson" wrote in message
[...]

Neither DVDs nor CDs are especially reliable these days (unless you get a
gold disk). I have about that many stored on both DVD-R and DVD-RW.
However, the goal is to put them on a portable drive because such devices
are still more reliable than any optical disk.

Jim

Old September 19th 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
henry

I am using Uplus sync for automatic usb backup daily. It's fine to work
with external drive. It's also important to backup to CDR twice a month
for me. I think this is a safe way for my data.
You can find uplus sync on http://www.uplussync.com

Old September 19th 06, 09:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ColinD

jameson wrote:
I have stored approx 3000 jpegs on dvds using SONIC RECORD. They are in
hundreds of folders and after burning each dvd I have picked two folders
from each dvd and opened the files to make sure the images are readable. So
far so good, but today I discovered that there are problems with the folders
containing more than about 100 jpegs (each of about 4MB). The problem is
that I can see a list of each file in the folder on the screen and can also
view the details such as file size, clicking the icons button also works ok,
but thumbnails does not work. Clicking thumbnails gets me about 3/4 of the
images visible and then the computer locks. I also used Irfan View to view
the images and find that after about 20 images everything just stops.

snip the rest

I wouldn't blame the DVDs just yet. What program did you use to copy
the files to the DVD? Some copy/backup utilities don't like handling a
lot of files, and after a number have been copied you will start to get
errors.

It might be worth trying another utility, like xxcopy,
http://www.xxcopy.com which I use for a complete file-by-file backup of
my C: drive, about 20-odd gigs and numerous folders, a typical C: drive.
It's very fast, has 200 commands to tailor the backup, but its
command-driven which may put you off.

Colin D.

Old September 20th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

ColinD wrote:
jameson wrote:
[...]

I don't know how xxcopy can backup direct to dvd unless the op is using
packet writing. I don't see packet writing mentioned. If op formatted
the disks he could use xxcopy, I assume his Sonic install included dla.
I do not know what his causing his problem. Does he have verify after
write set.
Dave Cohen
Old September 21st 06, 05:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

Dave Cohen wrote:

ColinD wrote:

edited, for brevity

It might be worth trying another utility, like xxcopy,
http://www.xxcopy.com which I use for a complete file-by-file backup of
my C: drive, about 20-odd gigs and numerous folders, a typical C: drive.
It's very fast, has 200 commands to tailor the backup, but its
command-driven which may put you off.

Colin D.

I don't know how xxcopy can backup direct to dvd unless the op is using
packet writing. I don't see packet writing mentioned. If op formatted
the disks he could use xxcopy, I assume his Sonic install included dla.
I do not know what his causing his problem. Does he have verify after
write set.
Dave Cohen

Hello, Dave:

I'd never entrust any of my data, to repulsive packet writing software.
DVD-RAM doesn't require such a kludge, and hence, is the safest choice
among DVD (and CD) formats.

Cordially,
John Turco
Old September 21st 06, 05:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

poddys wrote:

I would definitaly recommend getting a USB HD for backups. They are a
reasonable price these days and you can always keep them offsite too,
although not as small as DVD's.

Given the low price of DVD's I don't even bother with DVD-RW,
preferring to backup nightly to my USB drive and then monthly to DVD
and storing offsite.

Actually I have 2 USB HD's - 1 backs up my main PC every night (holds
over a month of backups), the other I bought for offsite storage - I
will take a full backup of all my systems prior to a major storm (we
live in South Florida) and keep it offsite just in case the worst case
scenario happens.

It's now under $100 for a 250gb USB HD - very affordable given the cost
of losing all your photos.

Hello, poddys:

Unfortunately, many of these USB hard disks are poorly cooled -- and
therefore, dangerously unreliable. Certain brands are more notorious
than others, with Maxtor being the alleged leader of this dubious pack.

Visit news:comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage, and grow wiser. g

Cordially,
John Turco
Old September 21st 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

On 21 Sep 2006 00:08:23 EDT, John Turco wrote:

Hello, poddys:

Unfortunately, many of these USB hard disks are poorly cooled -- and
therefore, dangerously unreliable. Certain brands are more notorious
than others, with Maxtor being the alleged leader of this dubious pack.

Visit news:comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage, and grow wiser. g

Another solution to the cooling problem is to get the housing
seperate, then install whatever drive you want to.
There are any number (many!) of good housings with active cooling
available.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"