Fill Flash for Birds at feeder

Old August 31st 04, 01:46 PM
Bob Howell

Default Fill Flash for Birds at feeder

I have a new canon 400mm f/5.6 lens and Rebel G and want to take pictures of
birds around feeder but every where around the house is shade, deep shade.
Will I be limited to Tripod?I also have 2x tele extender. This gives great
shot at about 18-30 feet. The lens cleaned me out. SWMBO will limit funds
for awhile. Where could I read up on flash attachments that would provide
fill flash? Books, Web sites? My plan is to place it on the patio and focus
on one of several perches, then sit 10-15 ft away on screen porch to
activate.

Bob Howell

Old August 31st 04, 03:38 PM
Alan Browne

Bob Howell wrote:

I have a new canon 400mm f/5.6 lens and Rebel G and want to take pictures of
birds around feeder but every where around the house is shade, deep shade.
Will I be limited to Tripod?I also have 2x tele extender. This gives great
shot at about 18-30 feet. The lens cleaned me out. SWMBO will limit funds
for awhile. Where could I read up on flash attachments that would provide
fill flash? Books, Web sites? My plan is to place it on the patio and focus
on one of several perches, then sit 10-15 ft away on screen porch to
activate.

For natural light shots in the shade you will definitely need a
sturdy tripod and mirror lockup would be an asset too.

Flash, in your situation, will give pretty harsh shots (eg: lit
up bird/feeder with black backrounds).

Guide Numbers: The GN gives the max power available from the
flash. It is simply the distance * aperture; or rather the max
distance you can shoot at is the GN/aperture. (Watch the units,
for most they are given in meters. Just be consistent).

The slower the film, the more power you need in the flash. Let's
take the limit case of 30 feet (9 meters), and let's say you
shoot at f/8.0 ... then for an ISO 100 film you would need 8 * 9
= GN 72 (meters). Not many flash units like that.

So, open up to f/5.6 (not the sharpest part of the lens) and a GN
of 5.6 * 9 = 50 which is just within the capability of the better
flash guns ($$$) such as the Canon 540EZ. But at this setting,
the discahrge will be 100% every time.

So, change the film to, say ISO 400, and then the batteries won't
get so abused ... or you can crunch down the aperture a couple
stops to sharpen the image a bit.

Now, if you can get the flash closer (regardless of where the
camera is), then you can get away with a smaller less expensive
flash or slower film or less cycle time or smaller apertures...or
whatever combination you contrive.

There is also a device called a better-beamer that you can attach
to your flash to concentrate the light on the target when using a
long lens. This will give you about 1.5 to 2 stops extra margin.

Hope that helps.
http://www.chem.helsinki.fi/~toomas/...flash-faq.html
is a very good resource.

Cheers,
Alan

Old August 31st 04, 04:24 PM
S Lee

Alan Browne choreographed a chorus line of high-kicking electrons to
spell out:

Bob Howell wrote:

I have a new canon 400mm f/5.6 lens and Rebel G and want to take
pictures of birds around feeder but every where around the house is
shade, deep shade. Will I be limited to Tripod?I also have 2x tele
extender. This gives great shot at about 18-30 feet. The lens cleaned
me out. SWMBO will limit funds for awhile. Where could I read up on
flash attachments that would provide fill flash? Books, Web sites? My
plan is to place it on the patio and focus on one of several perches,
then sit 10-15 ft away on screen porch to activate.

Bob, the 2x converter is going to make things two stops darker, so
you might want to avoid it here if possible... 800mm nice, f/11 not.

[...]

If Bob has the EF 400 f/5.6L it does a pretty nice job wide open,
so no big worries there.

So, change the film to, say ISO 400, and then the batteries won't
get so abused ... or you can crunch down the aperture a couple
stops to sharpen the image a bit.

Now, if you can get the flash closer (regardless of where the
camera is), then you can get away with a smaller less expensive
flash or slower film or less cycle time or smaller apertures...or
whatever combination you contrive.

There is also a device called a better-beamer that you can attach
to your flash to concentrate the light on the target when using a
long lens. This will give you about 1.5 to 2 stops extra margin.

Hope that helps.
http://www.chem.helsinki.fi/~toomas/...flash-faq.html
is a very good resource.

I've used the 400 f/5.6L and a 550EX to shoot various critters in
the trees around my house... with ISO 400 to 800, f/5.6, the 550EX gives
pretty decent fill coverage at 30 feet or less. The Better Beamer would
have been nice to have though.
Barring the new 580EX, the 550 is the strongest and most expensive.
Its power can mostly be had for less with the Sigma EF500 (?) flash,
though that's still going to put the OP down about $225 or so. Or, get a
medium-strength flash for the camera and buy a couple of $20-30 optical
slave flashes. Put the slave flashes up close to the feeder and trigger
them with the on-camera flash...

More Canon flash tips:
http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

--
__ A L L D O N E! B Y E B Y E!
(__ * _ _ _ _

Old August 31st 04, 05:38 PM
Alan Browne

Bob Howell wrote:

I have a new canon 400mm f/5.6 lens and Rebel G and want to take
pictures of birds around feeder but every where around the house is
shade, deep shade. Will I be limited to Tripod?I also have 2x tele
extender. This gives great shot at about 18-30 feet. The lens cleaned
me out. SWMBO will limit funds for awhile. Where could I read up on
flash attachments that would provide fill flash? Books, Web sites? My
plan is to place it on the patio and focus on one of several perches,
then sit 10-15 ft away on screen porch to activate.

Bob, the 2x converter is going to make things two stops darker, so
you might want to avoid it here if possible... 800mm nice, f/11 not.

Good point, I wandered right by ...

If Bob has the EF 400 f/5.6L it does a pretty nice job wide open,
so no big worries there.

wide open is soft (even if this lens is superb it can do better a
couple stops down), and at this limit the flash will discharge
100% each time.

I've used the 400 f/5.6L and a 550EX to shoot various critters in
the trees around my house... with ISO 400 to 800, f/5.6, the 550EX gives
pretty decent fill coverage at 30 feet or less. The Better Beamer would
have been nice to have though.

The BB is a bit clumsy.

Barring the new 580EX, the 550 is the strongest and most expensive.
Its power can mostly be had for less with the Sigma EF500 (?) flash,
though that's still going to put the OP down about $225 or so. Or, get a
medium-strength flash for the camera and buy a couple of $20-30 optical
slave flashes. Put the slave flashes up close to the feeder and trigger
them with the on-camera flash...

That's the better solution, closer in and perhaps difused a bit.

More Canon flash tips:
http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

Didn't know that one.

Old September 1st 04, 01:19 AM
Ted Azito

A car headlight bulb or a floodlight on the bird feeder might be
effective, if it didn't drive the birds off. Try it and see. Also,
don't discount a garage sale flashbulb solution remotely mounted. eBay
hasn't affected prices of consumo **** that you can bugger up for
creative uses. I just bought another Polaroid 80A for Bokehmaster
building for $2-and it included a working flash gun. Not a Winklight,
a flash gun. Takes big bulbs OR AG-1Bs.

Old September 1st 04, 04:24 AM
columbotrek

Build a blind to hide in and leave it there a week or two. Birds get
used to it. I like the remote control idea with the tripod. Birds may
not even care about a camera on a tripod with no human around. A
specular flash will be fine for birds. Gets some high lights off of
their feathers. A far side reflector can help fill in shadows.