Nikon D50 DSLR SD compatability

Old October 24th 07, 03:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Warren Thai

Default Nikon D50 DSLR SD compatability

I own a Nikon D50 DSLR. I am planning on buying another SD memory card. Can
anyone tell me what card capacities (ie gigabytes) are safe to use with the
D50. Also are SD ultra (II and/or III) cards compatible? I think sandisk
brand is the best, anyone agree or disagree?
Thanks

Old October 24th 07, 07:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_4_]

Warren Thai wrote:
I own a Nikon D50 DSLR. I am planning on buying another SD memory
card. Can anyone tell me what card capacities (ie gigabytes) are safe
to use with the D50. Also are SD ultra (II and/or III) cards
compatible? I think sandisk brand is the best, anyone agree or
disagree? Thanks

Up to 2GB is definitely OK, not sure beyond that.

I use SanDisk Ultra II (with my D40 and other cameras) and find them quite
suitable and reliable.

David

Old October 24th 07, 10:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dr Hfuhruhurr

On 24 Oct, 03:31, "Warren Thai" wrote:
I own a Nikon D50 DSLR. I am planning on buying another SD memory card. Can
anyone tell me what card capacities (ie gigabytes) are safe to use with the
D50. Also are SD ultra (II and/or III) cards compatible? I think sandisk
brand is the best, anyone agree or disagree?
Thanks

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-7905

As you can see there are a number cards that are entirely safe to use.
My own personal experience of using 512Mb, 1Gb & 2Gb cards is that
there is little difference speed wise 'in camera' but when you get to
transferring them to your computer you'll notice the difference.
The D50 will only format 4Gb cards as 2Gb. If you format it on your PC
though it will work quite happily.

HTH

Doc

Old October 24th 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tom Hook

On 2007-10-23 22:31:57 -0400, "Warren Thai" said:

I own a Nikon D50 DSLR. I am planning on buying another SD memory card. Can
anyone tell me what card capacities (ie gigabytes) are safe to use with the
D50. Also are SD ultra (II and/or III) cards compatible? I think sandisk
brand is the best, anyone agree or disagree?
Thanks

I just bought a Sandisk SD Extreme III 2.0 GB and it works fine. Got it
at Amazon.com for $37.99 with free shipping and no taxes.

Old October 24th 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Frank Arthur

"Warren Thai" wrote in message
u...
I own a Nikon D50 DSLR. I am planning on buying another SD memory
card. Can anyone tell me what card capacities (ie gigabytes) are safe
to use with the D50. Also are SD ultra (II and/or III) cards
compatible? I think sandisk brand is the best, anyone agree or
disagree?
Thanks

Basically with SanDisk
SD
SD Ultra II is about 66x faster
SD Ultra III is about 133x faster

Old November 22nd 07, 04:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mbt6

I have used an off brand 2gb card and have problems when I get close to
filling up the card. As I take photos, the card will not record them any
longer. I've been sticking with the 1gb, not sure if it's a bad card or if
others have seen this.

Old November 22nd 07, 05:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jürgen Exner

"Warren Thai" wrote in message
I own a Nikon D50 DSLR. I am planning on buying another SD memory
card. Can anyone tell me what card capacities (ie gigabytes) are
safe to use with the D50.

Welcome to the curse of SD. The D50 does not support SDHC, therefore even if
a larger SDHC card can be used only 2GB will be accessible by the camera.
Not to mention that some manufactures implemented their own custom
"solutions" for cards above 2GB which now are not compatible with anything.

See also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_...d_larger_cards
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_...ility_issu es
for more details.

I would stick with whatever type is listed in the D50 manual or for larger
cards at least try before you buy.

Also are SD ultra (II and/or III) cards compatible?

That's a totally different question. AFAIK the Ultra II/III designation by
some manufacturers indicates the maximum speed of the card. Don't worry, the
card will accept slow reads and writes, too. But you won't gain any speed
unless the camera supports that higher speed, too. Well, maybe when
transfering the photos to a computer if you have a high-speed reader.

I think sandisk brand is the best, anyone agree or
disagree? Thanks

It's certainly a very respected brand. And also pirated already. Buy from a
respectable source, many cheap internet offers are faked.

jue

Old November 22nd 07, 06:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article tP81j.1505$r81.1179@trndny05, Jürgen Exner
wrote:

"Warren Thai" wrote in message
I own a Nikon D50 DSLR. I am planning on buying another SD memory
card. Can anyone tell me what card capacities (ie gigabytes) are
safe to use with the D50.

Welcome to the curse of SD. The D50 does not support SDHC, therefore even if
a larger SDHC card can be used only 2GB will be accessible by the camera.
Not to mention that some manufactures implemented their own custom
"solutions" for cards above 2GB which now are not compatible with anything.

the nikon d50 can use 4 gig cards if formatted elsewhere.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-7905

nevertheless, i'd stick with 2 gig or lower, since they are technically
not supported.
Old November 22nd 07, 10:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dr Hfuhruhurr

On 22 Nov, 04:07, "Mbt6" wrote:
I have used an off brand 2gb card and have problems when I get close to
filling up the card. As I take photos, the card will not record them any
longer. I've been sticking with the 1gb, not sure if it's a bad card or if
others have seen this.

I've bought plenty of cheapo Dane-elec 2Gb SD cards from ebay and use
them without any problem.

Doc
Old November 22nd 07, 10:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 12:31:57 +1000, Warren Thai wrote:

I own a Nikon D50 DSLR. I am planning on buying another SD memory card.
Can anyone tell me what card capacities (ie gigabytes) are safe to use with the
D50. Also are SD ultra (II and/or III) cards compatible? I think sandisk
brand is the best, anyone agree or disagree?

There should be no problem using SD cards up to 2GB. Nikon's
tech. support rep. couldn't vouch for 4GB cards but said that they
should be compatible. SDHC cards are incompatible. I had a 4GB SD
card and found that it couldn't be formatted in a D50, but after
being formatted in my Canon A620 P&S it worked nicely in the D50.
To be safe though, I'm sticking with 2GB Ultra II cards in the D50.
The brand of card used probably doesn't matter much, as long as it's
not substantially slower than an Ultra II.