1770 The date Australia lost it's independence

Old June 11th 07, 08:14 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
Doug Jewell

Default 1770 The date Australia lost it's independence

"Ryadia" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 10, 9:18 pm, "Doug Jewell" wrote:
"Ryadia" wrote in ...
Australia was "discovered" by Lieutenant James Cook in 1770 when he
came
ashore at the place called 1770. Australia lost it's independence that
day
as he claimed the place for the British.

Attention to detail d-mac - cook first landed at botany bay, not at 1770.

http://www.ryadia.com/PFF/June/cooks-landing.htm

I imagine sailing down the east coast of Australia, he'd have to pass
this spot on his way to Sydney. Yes? No?
http://www.ryadia.com/PFF/June/cooks-landing.htm

He went north, first landing at botany bay, then went up to where 1770 now
is, and later spent a lot of time at endeavour river - near present day
Cooktown (hence the name) - after being shipwrecked on the barrier reef.
By the way - I very much did like the photo of the boat at 1770 that started
this thread. I'm sure the critics could probably find something wrong with
it, but I reckon it looks ok. :-)

Old June 11th 07, 09:07 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
William Graham

"Terryc" wrote in message
William Graham wrote:

We should have "stayed home" in May, 1942, also........Then you guys
would have known what misery really is.......

Err, nope. We already had them at a standstill. you just made the
fightback shorter, (we think).

Check that out with a few of your octogenarians....

Old June 11th 07, 09:12 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
William Graham

"mmnospam" mmnospam@thanks wrote in message

"William Graham" wrote in message
. ..

"Pete D" wrote in message

"Annika1980" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 10, 5:15 am, "Ryadia" wrote:

Oh well, It could have been worse, we could have been invaded by
American's
using an army of mass destruction, looking for weapons of mass
destruction.

Hey, that could still happen ... as long as that chimp is in charge.
You guys have any oil and ****? If so, we'll be happy to come in and
kill a few thousand of you to free you from your oppressive regime.

We will be ok I am sure, keep your chimp at home please.

We should have "stayed home" in May, 1942, also........Then you guys
would have known what misery really is.......

thanks for getting involved in that war at the halfway mark

Yes. We waited until they sank 1/3 of our Pacific fleet, and now you're
bitching about it. But when Bush attacks that murdering ******* before they
have the chance to hurt us, then you bitch about that....Tell you
what....Why don't you just sit down and try to write out just what you think
we should do, and sign it and send it to me....I'll take real good care of
it, and throw it back in your face when things don't turn out exactly the
way you think they will the next time around......(God, I hate Monday
morning quarterbacks....)

Old June 11th 07, 09:24 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
William Graham

"Joan" wrote in message
It's amazing how the management of your country has deteriorated and
the arrogance increased in 60 years.

Yeah, I guess killing off some SOB who is responsible for the deaths of
about two million people over a thirty year period is kinda arrogant, isn't
it? Presidents who play footsie with White House pages are much less
controversial.....

Old June 11th 07, 09:31 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
Eric Hocking

"Ryadia" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 11, 8:29 am, "Eric Hocking"
wrote:
"Ryadia" wrote in ...
Australia was "discovered" by Lieutenant James Cook in 1770 when he
came
ashore at the place called 1770. Australia lost it's independence that
day
as he claimed the place for the British.

Australia could not have lost it's independence to the Brits in 1770.

Australia as a nation didn't EXIST until it was CLAIMED by the Brits.

Then it was POPULATED by the Brits.

Typical Queenslander red-neck to forget that some other people had
already
populated New Holland way before us whiteys got there.

--
Eric Hocking
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"

Oh what a BIGOT you are Eric. Forget the "real" Australian's did you?
Let's see now... Terra Australis

What an illiterate you are Doug.

Did you miss the part of my post that said, "some other people had already

Old June 11th 07, 09:32 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
Eric Hocking

"Eric Hocking" wrote in message
"Ryadia" wrote in message ...
Australia was "discovered" by Lieutenant James Cook in 1770 when he came
ashore at the place called 1770. Australia lost it's independence that
day as he claimed the place for the British.

Australia could not have lost it's independence to the Brits in 1770.

Australia as a nation didn't EXIST until it was CLAIMED by the Brits.

Then it was POPULATED by the Brits.

First Fleet (the beginning of British occupation) -- 1778
Australia as a nation -- 1901

Typical Queenslander red-neck to forget that some other people had
already populated New Holland way before us whiteys got there.

Captain Cook wasn't a Queenslander.
"New Holland" is a whitey term

Yep - I was being ironic.

Rather like the irony of the name of the state that the OP is posting from,
given the subject of the thread.

Old June 11th 07, 11:02 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
Murray

"discovered" - yeh, right!
250 years after the Portugese. 150 after Abel Janzoon Tasman.

But that never worried the Brits - always 'economical' with
the truth, as ever.
Murray
Brisbane

http://www.ryadia.com/pod/June/10-06-07.htm

Old June 11th 07, 11:23 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
Joan

Can you only think of one item? How about Korea, Vietnam,
Afghanistan?

The problem appears to be a lack of understanding of the people in
those countries. The arrogance is a belief that they want democracy;
that they want to live like you do in the U.S.

--
Joan

"William Graham" wrote in message
. ..
:
: ...

Old June 11th 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
John McWilliams

Joan wrote:
Can you only think of one item? How about Korea, Vietnam,
Afghanistan?

The problem appears to be a lack of understanding of the people in
those countries. The arrogance is a belief that they want democracy;
that they want to live like you do in the U.S.

Arrogance is top posting, esp. using a sig delimiter.

--
lsmft
Old June 11th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
John McWilliams

Eric Hocking wrote:
"Ryadia" wrote in message

..
Oh what a BIGOT you are Eric. Forget the "real" Australian's did you?
Let's see now... Terra Australis

What an illiterate you are Doug.

Did you miss the part of my post that said, "some other people had already
populated New Holland way before us whiteys got there"?

Well, if illiteracy is brought to mind, I get to bring the dreaded extra
apostrophe, as in the Subject line. "It's" is a contraction for it is.
Never a possessive. Both Doug and Annika misuse it.

Before you chortle, though, there should be a comma after "are", and it
should have been "we whiteys", not "us". Easy way to tell is drop out
the other word and see how it sound.

--
lsmft