Olympus d-490z price

Old August 2nd 04, 06:46 AM
Randy

Default Olympus d-490z price

Just wondering... given the quick change in technology why would
someone pay $150 bucks for a used Olympus D490z on ebay? It's only
2.1mp. Is there something about these cameras I should know about or
is it just that people have invested in a lot of smart media cards and
any new camera won't use them? You can buy a lot more camera in
comparison for $200 these days.

Old August 2nd 04, 07:03 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

Just wondering... given the quick change in technology why would
someone pay $150 bucks for a used Olympus D490z on ebay?

$150 for a 2.1mpixel camera with no warranty is a questionable deal. You
can buy a more-capable camera for about $200 new, and at least have the
assurance that you've got one year of warranty coverage if something goes
wrong. Nothing wrong per se with the D490z though.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

m...

Old August 2nd 04, 01:20 PM
Ron G

We have a 490z in our family array of Oly cameras. Though I would not
pay $150 for a used one (maybe $100 if I could truly trust the seller),
let me say that it is a heck of a camera. Sure, a bit large by today's
'pocketable' standards and it uses SM cards. And only 2.1 megapix. But,
with a little Elements tweaking we get fine 5x7s and occasional 8x10s.
It's quite ergonomic and easy to hold steady, has superb AA battery
life, fine optics and very good exposure (with adjustable ISO). For a
person with relatively large hands it's a real winner...still.

Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles wrote:

Just wondering... given the quick change in technology why would
someone pay $150 bucks for a used Olympus D490z on ebay?

$150 for a 2.1mpixel camera with no warranty is a questionable deal. You
can buy a more-capable camera for about $200 new, and at least have the
assurance that you've got one year of warranty coverage if something goes
wrong. Nothing wrong per se with the D490z though.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

om...

Old August 2nd 04, 03:43 PM
Steven M. Scharf

"Randy" wrote in message
m...
You can buy a lot more camera in
comparison for $200 these days.

Yes, but a lot of eBay buyers don't know that.

Old August 2nd 04, 06:16 PM
webkatz

Randy wrote:
Just wondering... given the quick change in technology why would
someone pay $150 bucks for a used Olympus D490z on ebay? It's only
2.1mp. Is there something about these cameras I should know about or
is it just that people have invested in a lot of smart media cards and
any new camera won't use them? You can buy a lot more camera in
comparison for $200 these days.

A good, solid camera. Still have one that's putting out decent results
after years of continuous use in the field by folks who don't usually
either know a whole lot about what they're doing or don't treat the
equipment very well.

$150 used? Well, what most folks don't understand about selling things
on eBay is that it's just like selling things anywhere else - it's worth
what someone will pay for it.

Dave