10D Still Going Strong!

Old September 7th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Eric Miller

Default 10D Still Going Strong!

Recently, I spent about two hours on a Sunday morning trying to get the
hummer to hit a certain flower where I had pre-focused the camera. I
had the 20D on a tripod with a remote cable running inside the house.
I had two speedlights set up, one on each side for illumination. Then
I went inside and sat and waited ..... and waited ..... and waited.
That damned bird would hit every flower on the plant except the one I
wanted him to hit.

Try this: Save one of the syringes that you use to give shots to your
dogs, or get one from the vet or pet store; Grind off the point for
safety reasons; Fill the syringe with sugar water mixed at a strong
ratio like 3-1 or even 2.5-1; and, use the syringe to inject the nectar
into the flower you want the bird to visit. Do this the day before if
the flower lasts for several days. Just before your shoot, refill the
flower. I got about 15 shots of the bird at the same flower during that
shoot.

Patience is overrated.

Eric Miller
Old September 7th 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Eric Miller wrote:
[...]

The sugar is really good for them too. I also heard that hummingbirds
love the color red, so it might be a good idea to use a bright red
flower.
Helen

Old September 7th 06, 05:39 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
ShibbyShane

Eric Miller wrote:
[...]

When you say a mixture at a ratio of 3:1 do you mean three parts water
and one part sugar or visa versa?

Old September 7th 06, 06:26 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
John McWilliams

ShibbyShane wrote:
Eric Miller wrote:
[...]

With the latter, you might as well hang out maple sugar candies.....

--
john mcwilliams
Old September 7th 06, 01:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Eric Miller

When you say a mixture at a ratio of 3:1 do you mean three parts water
and one part sugar or visa versa?

Yes, three parts water, one part sugar. Exact ratios are not important.
4:1 is the most common and most recommended ratio for hummingbird
feeders. I mix it a little stronger when I am putting it into a flower
for photography purposes.

Eric Miller
Old September 7th 06, 11:45 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Barr

Default GRAVITY LOVES THE AMAZING 20D!

Couldn't help it.

I watched as the 20D and the 70-1200 f/2.8L came
slowly crashing down to the pavement.

Old September 8th 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

Robert Barr wrote:
Couldn't help it.

I watched as the 20D and the 70-200 f/2.8L came
slowly crashing down to the pavement.

I like it better than "20D: A FALL FROM GRACE"

Old September 9th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Eric Miller wrote:

I mix it a little stronger when I am putting it into a flower

for photography purposes.

... for more saturation?

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.