need opinion from more experienced users

Old November 3rd 05, 06:39 PM
defh

Default need opinion from more experienced users

Hi, I'm currently in the market for a new digital camera for all-around
use. I have been looking through the different brands and have come up
with three models that interest me the most, those a

Canon A620
Nikon 7900
Sony DSC-W7

I've been going through reviews and so far I'm trying to decide between
the Nikon and the Casio. Could any of you guys let me know what you
think of these cameras. I do not really care much about the prize. I'm
just looking for a 7MP camera, good for all-around use, mostly outdoor
pics, with some indoor pics with low-lighting (close-ups of electronic
equipment). I do want an easy to use camera but will like to have some
manual control.

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Daniel

Old November 3rd 05, 06:50 PM
Jem Raid

"defh" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I'm currently in the market for a new digital camera for all-around
use. I have been looking through the different brands and have come up
with three models that interest me the most, those a

Canon A620
Nikon 7900
Sony DSC-W7

I've been going through reviews and so far I'm trying to decide between
the Nikon and the Casio. Could any of you guys let me know what you
think of these cameras. I do not really care much about the prize. I'm
just looking for a 7MP camera, good for all-around use, mostly outdoor
pics, with some indoor pics with low-lighting (close-ups of electronic
equipment). I do want an easy to use camera but will like to have some
manual control.

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Daniel

Dear Daniel,

Having downloaded and printed off a lot of pics from Steve's Digicams in the
past few days (the same subject in each one) I came to the conclusion that
anything over 5Mp was just a complete waste of my money. If I was going to
buy a digital camera now, at this moment so to speak it would be either the
Panasonic FZ20 or the FZ5, the pics are so good that I see no advantage
whatsoever to be gained by spending more money on spmething with more
meagapixels, unless it was a digital SLR.

Buy one of these get the hang of using it and when you are ready to make the
change, as you will be, buy an SLR.

Jem

Old November 3rd 05, 08:18 PM
David J Taylor

Jem Raid wrote:
[]
Buy one of these get the hang of using it and when you are ready to
make the change, as you will be, buy an SLR.

Not everyone needs a DSLR! Many manage very nicely thank you with much
less expensive kit. Me? I moved from last century's film SLR to digital
and have never looked back.

David

Old November 3rd 05, 10:04 PM
salgud

defh wrote:
Hi, I'm currently in the market for a new digital camera for all-around
use. I have been looking through the different brands and have come up
with three models that interest me the most, those a

Canon A620
Nikon 7900
Sony DSC-W7

I've been going through reviews and so far I'm trying to decide between
the Nikon and the Casio. Could any of you guys let me know what you
think of these cameras. I do not really care much about the prize. I'm
just looking for a 7MP camera, good for all-around use, mostly outdoor
pics, with some indoor pics with low-lighting (close-ups of electronic
equipment). I do want an easy to use camera but will like to have some
manual control.

What would you guys recommend?

Getting comparisons from people who have used these cameras would
certainly be useful. That might be hard to get, even here. If someone
says the Canon is better than the Nikon is just giving you an opinion
based on their prejudices. What they use the camera for and how they
use it may be nothing like your needs.
I recommend you sit down and write out your priorities in terms of
camera features. Is macro more important than telephoto for you? Is
instant shutter response more important than custom white balance? When
I bought my camera, I put overall picture quality (especially true
colors) over everything else. Next came a high degree of manual
control. Etc. I also had a budget limitation of $200 for the camera,
$100 for accessories (batteries, charger, memory card, card reader,
case).
I started by searching for cameras under $200 with some manual
capabilites. I then compared pix from each camera, since overall
picture quality was at the top of my list. If I liked the pix, I went
on to compare the rest of my list.
If you make your list, I imagine the "winner" from your list will be
readily apparent.
Hope this helps in your world.

Old November 3rd 05, 10:20 PM
none

Jem Raid wrote:
Having downloaded and printed off a lot of pics from Steve's Digicams in the
past few days (the same subject in each one) I came to the conclusion that
anything over 5Mp was just a complete waste of my money.

I agree -- for the p/s cameras, overall image quality seems to remain
the same or decrease as you go up to 7-9Mp.

-Mike
Old November 4th 05, 12:09 PM
Jem Raid

"David J Taylor"
wrote in
message .. .
Jem Raid wrote:
[]
Buy one of these get the hang of using it and when you are ready to
make the change, as you will be, buy an SLR.

Not everyone needs a DSLR! Many manage very nicely thank you with much
less expensive kit. Me? I moved from last century's film SLR to digital
and have never looked back.

David

I quite agree David, I have a friend who teaches City & Guilds photography
and looks at photograohs with a very critical eye. He looked at the pictures
I had printed off for quite some time and made the comment that from a
normal viewing distance it was very hard to tell which was the best.

After looking very closely he thought the three best ones were in descending
order, the Canon 300D, the Nikon 7900 and the Casio QV4000, he said the
differences were so small though and was I trying to play some sort of joke
on him.

I'd put the names of the different cameras on the back of each print so he
didn't see which was which until he turned them over. He wasn't surprised,
his comments about digital cameras are derisory and unprintable :-)

Jem

------------------------
My Collectable Cyanotypes & Etchings;
http://www.absolutearts.com/portfolios/j/jimread

Old November 4th 05, 02:55 PM
salgud

Jem Raid wrote:
"David J Taylor"
wrote in
message .. .
Jem Raid wrote:
[]
[...]

What's "Guilds" photography?
What "pictures you had printed off"?

Old November 4th 05, 03:28 PM
David J Taylor

salgud wrote:
[]
What's "Guilds" photography?

http://www.cityandguilds.com/

A well-recognised institution in the UK:

"City & Guilds is the leading provider of vocational qualifications in the
United Kingdom. Our qualifications assess skills that are of practical
value in the work place. They are recognised for their quality and are
valued by employers in every sector of business. With over 500
qualifications to choose from there's bound to be one that's right for
you - whatever your situation. Whether you're in work or preparing for
work, at college or a training provider, we've got the qualifications that
really make a difference. For employers, we also offer the training and
qualifications that will help you develop a skilled workforce."

David

Old November 4th 05, 06:31 PM
Jem Raid

"salgud" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jem Raid wrote:
"David J Taylor"
wrote
in
message .. .
Jem Raid wrote:
[]
[...]

Dear Salgud,

The pictures can be found at Steve's Digicams, go to the samples page for
the camera (s) you are interested in, there you will see a picture of a
building, there are two signs on it one with 'Nicholson' on it and the other
a 'One Way' sign. Download and print off the ones you wish to compare at the
same size I used 9" x 6.75". Steve does this so that people can compare
similar shots taken with different cameras. The other site confuses things
by not doing so, I have the pic taken with a Canon 300D, Nikon 5400, Nikon
7900, Panasonic FZ5 and Casio QV4000. Decide for your self.

My tutor friend said it was best summed up by saying it was as though the
pics had been taken by the same camera using different ISO rated films.

Having said that about the other site though, I looked at their test for the
300D and in there as a comparison is a G5, looking at the comparision shot
of the test card the G5 is only half a gnats knacker off the quality of the
300D. I think he slipped that one in to show people that SLR digicams are
not all they are cracked up to be.

Jem

PS If I was going to buy a digicam now I would choose the Panasonic FZ5,
that one is so close to the 300D you do have to look very carefully indeed.