Buying: Web vs. Walk-in

Old March 17th 05, 08:36 PM
cal

Default Buying: Web vs. Walk-in

I'm going to buy a particular item, a zoom lens. I've pretty much
made up my mind what I want. I can get it from a walk-in store 60
miles from where I live, or I can buy it from one of a few reputable
internet merchants, with all of whom I've dealt before with no
problems. In the store the item will cost approximately $800 + sales
tax. From the 'net, about 675-ish + shipping, say $20, or so.
Roughly $100 cheaper via the 'net.

From what I've read here and other places, the quality control
practices of a couple of major camera manufacturers are not such that
I may be relatively certain of getting a nearly perfect copy of the
lens. I've read numerous accounts of a buyer having to return an
expensive lens and get another copy, sometimes more than once, before
finally getting a satisfactory one. Has anyone here had such an
experience with a reputable internet merchant? If so would you mind
relating how you went about getting the item exchanged? I would
imagine that there is at least some challenge to putting together
adequate proof of the defectiveness of an item.

I'm thinking a C-note ain't too bad in this case. What say you all?

Cal
Old March 17th 05, 11:42 PM
Hoffmann

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
news
26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Bloody bog-Irishness! - send in the Para's to cull the Fenian *******s.

Old March 17th 05, 11:55 PM
cal

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:42:41 -0000, "Hoffmann"
wrote:

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
news
26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Bloody bog-Irishness! - send in the Para's to cull the Fenian *******s.

I knew I was taking a chance starting such a politically "ripe"
thread! ;-)

Cal

Old March 18th 05, 08:03 AM
John DH

Personally I prefer a walk in store for camera and lens kit. Here's a
compromise, print off the internet merchants add, take it to your local
store and ask if they will do a deal. OK they probably won't get the price
right down, but I'll bet if they want your business they will try real hard.

John D

"cal" wrote in message
I'm going to buy a particular item, a zoom lens. I've pretty much
made up my mind what I want. I can get it from a walk-in store 60
miles from where I live, or I can buy it from one of a few reputable
internet merchants, with all of whom I've dealt before with no
problems. In the store the item will cost approximately $800 + sales
tax. From the 'net, about 675-ish + shipping, say $20, or so.
Roughly $100 cheaper via the 'net.

From what I've read here and other places, the quality control