Swabbing a DSLR sensor

Old January 10th 05, 11:23 PM
Howard McCollister

"jean" wrote in message
.. .
I looked at my 20D - two 1/2 months old - for the first time. I took a
shot of the sky and was amazed at the crap on the sensor. I ordered a
sensor cleaning kit from Copper Hill Images, after hearing about it on
this forum. I hope it does the trick.

Also look at
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-6460-7296 . This
method using the Sensor Brush method has become the preferred method of

many
professional photographers.

I bought a Sensor Brush and it does work. I have no affiliations with the
comapany except being satisfied. It IS expensive, but I have two cameras
clean, my daughter's and mine. Took a few minutes and was totally
effective. I was a bit leery of the swabbing with wetted pads but this
dry
method does work.

One potential problem with swabbing the sensor with Eclipse (or whatever) is
the possibility that fluid can seep under the sensor cover filter. This is
rarely a problem if the user follows directions carefully and only uses a
drop of Eclipse on the PecPad or Sensor Swab. Generally, it seems that the
Sensor Brush is easier, and in many cases more effective because there is no
potential for streaking or globbing.

Sensor Brush info - http://www.visibledust.com/sensorbrush.htm

HMc

Old January 11th 05, 04:53 AM
jean

"Howard McCollister" a écrit dans le message de

"jean" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

That is exactly what I was afraid of, I cleaned my old FtB years ago and a
little drop of liquid got under the prism, it's still there. There was no
way I was going to put any fluid in my 10D. Visible dust makes a strong
statement with the possibility of regular brushes or swabs scoring the glass
in front of the sensor. For $100, I hope it is a wise investment, so far it
seems to work as advertised.

Jean