Miranda Sharpening Software

Old January 9th 05, 03:29 PM
Jimmy Smith

Default Miranda Sharpening Software

I am thinking of getting the Miranda photo sharpening program and also the
Black & White software. I currently have Photoshop 5.5. Can anyone here
tell me if this is a good way to go or can I do all this stuff myself with a
little easy set up in PS?

Is the Miranda software really a good value to have?

Jimmy

Old January 9th 05, 04:55 PM
leon

Jimmy Smith wrote:
I am thinking of getting the Miranda photo sharpening program and also the
Black & White software. I currently have Photoshop 5.5. Can anyone here
tell me if this is a good way to go or can I do all this stuff myself with a
little easy set up in PS?

Is the Miranda software really a good value to have?

Jimmy

Try this link:
http://www.pixelgenius.com/sharpener/index.html
way better than miranda.

Old January 9th 05, 05:01 PM
Paul Chefurka

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 16:55:30 GMT, leon wrote:

Jimmy Smith wrote:
I am thinking of getting the Miranda photo sharpening program and also the
Black & White software. I currently have Photoshop 5.5. Can anyone here
tell me if this is a good way to go or can I do all this stuff myself with a
little easy set up in PS?

Is the Miranda software really a good value to have?

Jimmy

Try this link:
http://www.pixelgenius.com/sharpener/index.html
way better than miranda.

While I haven't tried Miranda's software, I have PhotoKit sharpener, and
I'll second the recommendation. It's flexible, effective, well thought out
and easy to use. Given what's included in the package, I think it's a
remarkable bargain. I had an older version of nik Sharpener Pro, and
Photokit is much better.

Paul
Old January 9th 05, 09:26 PM

Jimmy Smith wrote:

I am thinking of getting the Miranda photo sharpening program and also the
Black & White software. I currently have Photoshop 5.5. Can anyone here
tell me if this is a good way to go or can I do all this stuff myself with a
little easy set up in PS?

Is the Miranda software really a good value to have?

Jimmy

Try this link:
http://www.pixelgenius.com/sharpener/index.html
way better than miranda.

While I haven't tried Miranda's software, I have PhotoKit sharpener, and
I'll second the recommendation. It's flexible, effective, well thought out
and easy to use. Given what's included in the package, I think it's a
remarkable bargain. I had an older version of nik Sharpener Pro, and
Photokit is much better.

Paul

Can someone explain what the PhotoKit sharpener does? Is it a true
image restoration algorithm? Or is it some version of edge enhancement
(which is what I think it is reading the web pages and LL review).

See my thread "Image Restoration to improve image detail"
started yesterday, or go to:
http://clarkvision.com/imagedetail/image-restoration1
Perhaps someone could take the 16-bit tif off my web page
and run the PhotoKit sharpener on it and post the results.

Also check out ImagesPLus (links on above web page. For $190,
it is a complete image processing system and does many things
photoshop does not do, and works in 16 and 32 bit modes
(photoshop is 15 bit).
(I have no affiliation to these products).

Roger Clark

Old January 9th 05, 09:48 PM

Jimmy Smith wrote:

[...]

Ok, I just found that the photokit sharpener works only on
8-bit files. To me, this means it is worthless.

In my experience and opinion, the very first step in my
digital work flow is conversion to 16-bit tif if working
from raw files, or conversion to 16-bit tif if working from
8-bit jpeg. With hardly any processing of 8-bit files,
posterization sets in and the image quality degrades
too much in my opinion. I currently, and have since photoshop
CS, do all processing in 16-bit and find results to
be cleaner with smoother gradations than if I did
processing in 8-bit. I would not buy a tool unless it
is 16 bit or better. I'm even beginning to suspect
Photoshop's 16-bit mode, which is really 15-bit. I see
better results from ImagesPlus filters than I do from
Photoshop's. Photoshop's unsharp mask, for example,
seems to posterize even 16-bit files.

Roger
Photos, digital info at: http://www.clarkvision.com

Old January 9th 05, 10:51 PM
Paul Chefurka

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 14:48:25 -0700, "Roger N. Clark (change username to
rnclark)" wrote:

Ok, I just found that the photokit sharpener works only on
8-bit files. To me, this means it is worthless.

Not so fast, buckeroo. Think about it for a second. PhotoKit Sharpener is
a packaged set of actions. This means it has access to the full underlying
set of Photoshop capabilities. It does its magic in layers. This means
that if the version of PS it's running in supports 16-bit layers, so do the
Sharpener actions. PS CS does 16-bit layers. Earlier versions do 8-bit
only, hence the confusion.

The actions work fine in 16-bit. I know because I never ever go out of
16-bit mode, from loading the RAW files to printing, and the PhotoKit
actions work as advertised.

Paul