Real photos of Highway 17 and Skyline in the Santa Cruz Mountains this week

Old February 13th 17, 09:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Default Real photos of Highway 17 and Skyline in the Santa Cruz Mountains this week

On 2017-02-12 20:24:09 +0000, android said:

In article ,

On 2017-02-12 20:03:33 +0000, Savageduck

On 2017-02-12 19:42:26 +0000, said:

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 18:27:18 +0000 (UTC), Stijn De Jong
wrote:

These are real photos taken this very week of what's going on in
the
mountains where Jeff Liebermann lives due to the Pineapple
Express
dropping
unheard of rain in California (drought my ass!).

Highway 17 landslide turns car over, blocks both lanes, and
cleanup
crew
killed.
http://i.cubeupload.com/VD5wTr.jpg

Hole in Skyline along the crest of the mountain ridge above the
San
Andreas
Fault opened up this week.
http://i.cubeupload.com/Q9zsF5.jpg

Why people in vans even think to attempt a crossing is beyond
me.
http://i.cubeupload.com/HPg6Xo.jpg

No middle ground there? Flood or drought, it seems.

Add earthquake, fire, and landslides.

No hurricanes?

In California we only have a loose relationship with hurricanes.
They
touch us occasionally with glacing blows with Mexico usually getting
the worst of the Pacific tropical storms and hurricanes.

...er, glancing blows.

Like we end up with the rain that England can't take then... ;-/

Visual aid to clarify:

http://gfx.klart.se/eltiempo/datamap...n-201702121800
.g
if

I live just a few pixels to the left of the lover part left leg of
upper
the blue H...

You have a blue "H" on the lover part of your left leg?
I hope you can get medication for that.

Sure... Let me rephrase that: "I live just a few pixels to the left of
the lover part of the left leg of upper the blue H..." On the the map of
course!

I guess a whole lot of that joke got lost in translation.

Note: "lover"â‰*"lower".

Err... The spellchecker didn't catch that but I'm pretty sure that both
you and the other children understod the meaning of the sentence and
that at least you have made errors of the same kind yourself. Soo...
WTF???

So you still don't get the joke?

That you overmedicated yourself again? More like a minor tragedy on the
other side of the globe... I'm a caring person but there are limits!
:-ppp
--
teleportation kills
Old February 13th 17, 09:41 AM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Eric Stevens wrote:

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 13:32:28 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Stijn De Jong
wrote:

Why people in vans even think to attempt a crossing is beyond me.
http://i.cubeupload.com/HPg6Xo.jpg

i doubt he was attempting to cross it. more likely he was not paying
any attention and only realized it when it was too late.

It's always possible that the hole got there after the van did.

Yes... It could have been an occurrence of an unscheduled twist in the
time space continuum. The boss gets vimy occasionally! ;-))
--
teleportation kills
Old February 13th 17, 09:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,

wrote:

These are real photos taken this very week of what's going on in the
mountains where Jeff Liebermann lives due to the Pineapple Express
dropping
unheard of rain in California (drought my ass!).

Highway 17 landslide turns car over, blocks both lanes, and cleanup
crew
killed.
http://i.cubeupload.com/VD5wTr.jpg

Hole in Skyline along the crest of the mountain ridge above the San
Andreas
Fault opened up this week.
http://i.cubeupload.com/Q9zsF5.jpg

Why people in vans even think to attempt a crossing is beyond me.
http://i.cubeupload.com/HPg6Xo.jpg

No middle ground there? Flood or drought, it seems.

Add earthquake, fire, and landslides.

Three of the reasons my wife would not consider a move there. Although
she hate cold weather, she would sooner put up with an occasional snow
in.

Updated daily, more or less:

http://www.smhi.se/vadret/vadret-i-sverige/snodjup

Även om Sverige är ett vackert land, var det inte anges som en plats som
vi skulle överväga att flytta till. (Jag hoppas att min mening var inte
förlorat i översättningen.)

Goog trans:

"Although Sweden is a beautiful country, it was not specified as a place
that we would consider moving to. (I hope my meaning was not lost in
translation.)"

Fair warning given then...
--
teleportation kills
Old February 13th 17, 10:00 AM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital
micky

In sci.electronics.repair, on Sun, 12 Feb 2017 17:35:22 -0800, Jeff
Liebermann wrote:

His power was out, so he got candles at the store. He should just have had
a generator, like the rest of us have. The power went out about five or six
times this winter alone, once for 4 or 4 days already.

Mine went out for more than 5 minutes perhaps 4 times. The longest
was about 2 hrs.

The guy moved here from NY city just this week, and Monday was his first
day on the job.

Do people actually drive in New York city? Must have been quite a
change for him.

Actually, even in 1966, there were a million cars registered in NYC, I
would expect it to be higher now. Atlhough I suppose the rate was
lowest in Manhattan.

But, you can't believe anything on California news because everything tends
to the super monstrous liberal, so they distort facts accordingly (e.g., on
the so-called drought).

And of course conservatives don't distort the facts. If you believe
liberals do it more, well...

Facts? We don't do no stinkin facts. This is the land of opinions,
feelings, and progress through meditation.

This is apparently the remains of his SUV, flipped right-side up:
http://www.mercurynews.com/wp-conten.../img_39511.jpg

Kinda makes me want to install an internal roll bar.

I'm trying to figure out where this one is?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C4V7UT1UcAASgMk.jpg

But I do think they should put in a bridge when there is a gap this
long. ;-)

No EXIF info and therefore no lat-long.

Is that Skyline?
If so, it looks like it's a good place to put up a bridge.

Judging by slope and the "view", I agree. It's probably Skyline.
See the red and white line at (if Hwy 9 is still closed):
,14z/data=!5m1!1e1

View of the San Lorenzo river just outside my office:
http://www.mercurynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/sjm-storm-0208-403.jpg?w=620

I'm glad you weren't washed away.

Isn't that the same river that washed out Highway 9 last week?

Yes, but that was in Boulder Creek, 15 miles to the north.

I'm not sure what the plastic is supposed to do:
http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/content/k...5_1280x720.jpg

Keep the rain and runoff from further eroding the hillside. However,

But what is the vertical thing on the left? It's 2 or 3 feet tall.

it won't do anything for underground rivers and springs.

We have been getting horizontal rain over on the Loma side of things.

I hate when that happens. It ruins my rainfall measurements because
the rain misses the rain gauge.

Maybe you could mount a tube horizontally, on a weather vane so it faces
the wind.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Old February 13th 17, 12:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

He didn't know how to drive on mountain roads (apparently).

he's still a stupid driver.

I am agreeing with you.
If you can't miss a 20 foot wide hole, you're not gonna miss a pedestrian
either. Or even a guardrail.

He was a bad driver, no doubt about it.
I agree with you.

You're supposed to maintain control of your vehicle, and driving into a
hole isn't maintaining control. He should have been able to stop.

If he couldn't stop, then he was driving too fast.

he was driving too fast for conditions and not paying attention either.

It's clear from the news item that he actually misjudged the
situation. He thought he was driving through mud, which probably
something he could have got away with, but in fact he was driving into
a hole ...

Driver error.

that's what i said. stupid driver syndrome.

unfortunately, he's still driving and putting others in danger.
Old February 13th 17, 03:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
nospam wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

He could be right. The undermined paving, covered with mud probably
collapsed under the weight of the car...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_s...posite_pavemen
t_x-sect.jpg
--
teleportation kills
Old February 13th 17, 03:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 2/12/2017 8:50 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

Do people actually drive in New York city? Must have been quite a
change for him.

The natives of the City and its environs, only do so when necessary. At
least not during the rush hour.

then why is there so much traffic in midtown?

Vehicles double and triple parked slows things down. A very high
percentage is business traffic.

--
PeterN
Old February 13th 17, 04:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

wrote:

[...]

Ain't Google great.

--
PeterN
Old February 13th 17, 04:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 2/13/2017 7:28 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

snip

Driver error.

that's what i said. stupid driver syndrome.

unfortunately, he's still driving and putting others in danger.

Now that you have demonstrated a lack of understanding of the difference
between stupidity, carelessness, and ignorance, what mnore are you
showing us.
No don't bother.

--
PeterN
Old February 13th 17, 04:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 05:00:31 -0500, micky
wrote:

http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/content/k...5_1280x720.jpg

But what is the vertical thing on the left? It's 2 or 3 feet tall.

Temporary concrete "Jersey" highway barriers:
http://www.belson.com/Concrete-Security-Barriers-Highway
It's a convenient place to anchor the tarps. However, putting all
that weight on a crumbling roadway does not seem like a good idea.