CF or XD memory cards

Old August 6th 04, 05:31 PM
Mike Williams

Default CF or XD memory cards

can anyone tell me which is best, CF or XD mem cards, because CF are quite
a bit cheaper

Thanks
Mike

remove nospam to reply

Old August 6th 04, 05:50 PM
Paul Riemerman

I can't say anything about the cf cards, because my camera doesn't take
them, but the xd cards are very reliable.

Paul Riemerman

Old August 6th 04, 09:42 PM
Alex Butcher

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 11:50:50 -0500, Paul Riemerman wrote:

I can't say anything about the cf cards, because my camera doesn't take
them, but the xd cards are very reliable.

That's probably a result of xD cards only being made by a few (reputable)
manufacturers, such as Samsung. If you go for quality CF cards (e.g.
Crucial, Lexar), I'm sure you'll experience similar reliability. Note that
some friends have had problems with the reliability of Sandisk's CF cards.

Personally, I've got a preference for CF based on its flexibility and low
price/MB (along with SD, and due to their popularity). That said, I found
my most recent (Olympus) camera was such a good package that I compromised
on the memory format and ended up with xD. I just hope I don't get burnt
with lack of availability later...

Paul Riemerman

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK Need reliable and secure network systems?

Old August 6th 04, 11:02 PM
Justin Thyme

"Mike Williams" wrote in message
can anyone tell me which is best, CF or XD mem cards, because CF are

quite
a bit cheaper

The best card is the one that fits your camera. Don't base a camera
purchase decision on what type of card it takes unless you already have a
bunch of cards. If you have a camera that takes multiple format (eg S7000
which will take XD or CF) then you'll generally be better to buy CF -
provided you get a high-speed card.

Thanks
Mike

remove nospam to reply

Old August 7th 04, 10:44 PM
Nostrobino

Compact Flash has been around much longer, there are many more cameras that
use it and therefore much more CF card sales volume and more sales
competition, which of course drives prices down. That presumably is why CF
card prices are so much lower.

xD cards are a relatively recent development (it seems to me an unnecessary
one), and their advantage lies chiefly if not entirely in their small size,
which makes them adaptable to extremely compact cameras. But since they
offer no obvious advantage over SD cards which are about the same size, have
been around much longer (almost as long as CF cards) and are used in many
more makes of cameras and other small devices, one has to wonder why Fuji
and Olympus bothered bringing out a completely new non-compatible type of
flash memory card.

SD cards, like CF cards, are widely available from many different
manufacturers, often on sale or rebate at extremely attractive final prices.
I have not seen this at all with xD cards.

Neither have I seen any major camera maker other than Fuji and Olympus
bringing out new models for xD cards, and it doesn't seem likely any others
will, since all the other major manufacturers as far as I know have already
standardized on SD cards for their very small models. They have no reason
that I can see to change now.

Also, there are plenty of different models of card readers for CF and SD
cards, relatively few for xD.

The question then is, Is there any special quality or feature in some Fuji
or Olympus model that is important enough to you to overcome the
product/price disadvantages associated with the xD card?

Old August 7th 04, 11:37 PM
Justin Thyme

"Nostrobino" wrote in message
Compact Flash has been around much longer, there are many more cameras

that
use it and therefore much more CF card sales volume and more sales
competition, which of course drives prices down. That presumably is why CF
card prices are so much lower.

xD cards are a relatively recent development (it seems to me an

unnecessary
one), and their advantage lies chiefly if not entirely in their small

size,
which makes them adaptable to extremely compact cameras. But since they
offer no obvious advantage over SD cards which are about the same size,

have
They are faster than SD. In fact they are faster than even most of the
common run-of-the-mill CF cards. The new high speed CF that is out now is
quicker than XD, but for those cards you are paying pretty much the same
price as XD anyway. Actually here in Australia, most cards cost pretty much
the same amount - no more than 5-10% variation between prices. The only
exception is that there is a bit of dumping happening on low-speed CF cards,
which are really cheap - but that won't last for much longer.
been around much longer (almost as long as CF cards) and are used in many
more makes of cameras and other small devices, one has to wonder why Fuji
and Olympus bothered bringing out a completely new non-compatible type of
flash memory card.

Faster and smaller than SD, smaller than CF, faster and smaller than MS,
smaller, faster and higher capacity than SM, smaller faster and higher
capacity than MMC - I can see why they would do it. By the same token, why
would Sony invent MS which is slower, larger and more proprietary than SD?
At the end of the day it doesn't really matter what card a camera takes, buy
it for specification not for card type.

Also, there are plenty of different models of card readers for CF and SD
cards, relatively few for xD.

That has changed - there are now heaps that do XD. Plus HP & Epson do XD in
all their models. Of course they will do XD - Fuji and Olympus are the two
top selling brands of camera.

The question then is, Is there any special quality or feature in some Fuji
or Olympus model that is important enough to you to overcome the
product/price disadvantages associated with the xD card?

XD doesn't represent a disadvantage, and at any price point, Fuji and
Olympus offer pretty much the best specs and best quality.