PBase Alternatives?

Old January 5th 05, 04:47 PM
YoYo

Default PBase Alternatives?

Why EXIF a must?
Personally any photographer not using a digital camera or the latest
software would not have this.

I guess you wouldn't know that?

"JeffS" wrote in message
Hi,
I've been using PBase as an online home for some of my photos for
several months now. Unfortunately, most of my galleries are now being
afflicted with what is being called the 'creeping thumbnail disease'
(thumbs disappearing and when regenerated just produce an original sized
image). There hasn't been a response from the owners of PBase for at
least a month about this issue. I've decided it's time to move on to a
more responsibly run hosting service.

I'm looking for a place that has a feel of community like PBase.
External linking to photos and display of EXIF is a must. I've seen
references to SmugMug and several other hosting sites. Does anyone have
any experiences with services other than PBase that could be
recommended? While I enjoy PBase, it is starting to feel more like it is
being abandoned than kept up.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Jeff
-----
My Humble Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/jkseidel

Old January 6th 05, 12:38 AM
Peter A. Stavrakoglou

"JeffS" wrote in message
[...]

I use SmugMug, fits my needs. I tried PBase and then found SmugMug to be
easier to use. In the year that I've been using the service, AFAIK there
haven't been any service issues like PBase has had recently.

Old January 6th 05, 08:08 AM
Paul Bartram

"JeffS" wrote

I'm looking for a place that has a feel of community like PBase.
External linking to photos and display of EXIF is a must. I've seen
references to SmugMug and several other hosting sites. Does anyone have
any experiences with services other than PBase that could be
recommended? While I enjoy PBase, it is starting to feel more like it is
being abandoned than kept up.

My suggestion is Webaperture www.webaperture.com You are limited to 4Mb
total space, and only 4 photo uploads a week, but it is meant to be a photo
criticism site rather than an archive. However, you can arrange you pictures
into galleries so visitors can see a collection of your work. It is a really
friendly place, and I've learned a lot in the 6 months I've been using it.
Exif IS supported there, and it's completely free (although donations are
welcomed).

Paul (User name 'Paul Bear')

Old January 6th 05, 01:06 PM
Don Dunlap

"JeffS" wrote in message
On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 18:38:14 -0500, "Peter A. Stavrakoglou"
wrote:

I use SmugMug, fits my needs. I tried PBase and then found SmugMug to be
easier to use. In the year that I've been using the service, AFAIK there
haven't been any service issues like PBase has had recently.

Thanks Peter! While I like PBase for its price and features, I've found
the recent glitches are making it more of a bother to use than it is
worth. I probably wouldn't mind as much if the operators of the site
were responding to users' concerns about the current issues, but with
the exception of one brief comment about server loads, there hasn't been
a peep from anyone there in well over a month. I'll give SmugMug a
harder look.

Best Wishes,

Jeff
-----
My Humble Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/jkseidel

I've had major problems with Pbase for over a month now with no response
from them. Either someone died or they just don't give a damn. I will look
in to SmugMug myself, since Pbase has really become bad.

Don dunlap