Minolta Dualscan IV- Will 126 Slides damage the scanner Physically

Old December 15th 04, 07:26 AM
Frank ess

Mike Koperskinospam wrote:
To everyone that responded to this thread a big THANK YOU is in
order. I have learned the hard way when you buy something it is good
idea to go to the Products web site and read the FAQ's. Now for the
bad news, So I installed the scanner Software first and did
everything by the book and then guess what the scanner was DOA Dead
On Arrival Or also Known as Out Of Box Failure the scanner would
never see or feed the slide tray in. regardless how far I pushed it
in. I tried both Slide and the Negative holder with no Luck. I
purchased the scanner from a Super Store called MICRO-CENTER and as
fate would Have it. I had purchased the last film scanner they had
and I need to get all 436 slides Scanned, printed, and put on CD's
before Christmas. So I traded it in for the most expensive flat bed
scanner they had. An Epson 4870 Photo that has Digital ICE but as
all most all the slides I have are 50 to 30 years old Kodachome I
understand that ICE is worthless on them. I am sure that a Flat bed
scanner is not as good as a true film scanner but as my grandparents
took these slides, they were Far from Professional quality anyhow.

Plenty of people have said here they get plenty good results on slides
with that scanner.

I seem to remember hearing the recent ICE versions do Old Kodachrome
plenty good.

Your family will love the results, I'm sure.

--
Frank ess

Old December 15th 04, 06:13 PM
Don

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:26:59 -0800, "Frank ess"
wrote:

I seem to remember hearing the recent ICE versions do Old Kodachrome
plenty good.

Unfortunately, not always... :-(

LS-50 here, and 1980's Kodachromes still cause ICE to produce ugly
artifacts around problem areas.

On other film, ICE4 on the LS-50 has improved immensely when compared
to ICE(1) on my old LS-30. ICE4 really is "magic".

Don.

Old December 15th 04, 07:00 PM
David Chien

as fate would Have it. I had purchased the last film scanner they had and I
need to get all 436 slides Scanned, printed, and put on CD's before
Christmas. So I traded it in for the most expensive flat bed scanner they

Another easier way as a reminder to those that don't bother to search
www.deja.com for past posts on this topic is to throw the entire lot of
slides at any local photo print shop that has a digital printer (eg.
Noritsu), and simply have them scan it all onto CDs. It'll probably
cost you $0.50-1.00 per frame in bulk, but it's fast (they've got far
faster scanners that do ICE than we do), convenient (you can sleep while
the operator(s) works), and does the job well (they already have been
trained to do color correction, etc. to get you a nice scan).

All of this could have been done and finished by the time you spent
buying one scanner, running back, then getting another and trying to
figure it all out.

--

Another faster way?

Slide adapter attached to the lens of a compatible digital camera.
eg. Nikons often have slide adapters for many of their higher-end models.

Simply feed in slide, push the shutter button, eject and repeat.

This can get you images far faster than most other options by
yourself, and if the top-notch quality (ie. Minolta 5400 ICE'd scans at
top resolution + photoshop retouching & correction) isn't necessary,
then this is the fastest way available for home consumers.

---

Quite a few times this same thing has come up (eg. one guy was asking
about scanning in WWII photos or something like that), so there's many
good solutions that'll get you scans faster and better.