Minolta Dualscan IV- Will 126 Slides damage the scanner Physically

Old December 12th 04, 05:46 PM
CSM1

"Mike Koperskinospam" wrote in message
Help
I have just purchased a Minolta Dualscan IV and have not even installed it
yet. Most of my slides are 35mm but a few are 40 years old and came from
Kodak Instamatic camera that used 126 Film and some I think are 120 square
Slides from an old twin reflex camera that take up all most all of the
slide
save for about 3/8 inch. I know that the scanner was not made for this
older film and may not be able to scan the full slide and that is OK but
will putting this slide in the scanner damage the optics or the scanner
Physically?
Thank you in advance for anyone's thought and guidance on this issue.
Mike

It won't hurt the scanner by putting 126 film into a 35 mm film strip
holder.

Here is a comparsion of 126 film to 35 mm film and 126 film in a Minolta
Scandual IV film holder.
http://www.carlmcmillan.com/Temp

You can scan one frame of 126, move the 126 so that the next frame is fully
in the frame area. Of the six frames that are available, at least one of the
126 frames will show in one of the 35 mm frames with the top of the 126 film
cut off by the 35 mm film holder.

There is also a Kodak Catalog listing of 70 mm film for somebody else.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Old December 13th 04, 03:10 AM
Paul J Gans

In rec.photo.digital Michael A. Covington wrote:
I haven't actually used this scanner but I can't imagine 126 slides or 127
"super slides" damaging it as long as they aren't badly bent. If the slide
fits into the same physical space as a 35-mm slide, it should go in and out
just fine. This is based on my experience with other Minolta and Nikon
scanners; I haven't actually used the one you mention.

I rather wish 127 hadn't died out... I never got to use it.

I have a Dualscan IV. The only way I know to scan slides
is to put them into the special holder supplied with the
scanner. These hold a 35mm mounted slide in either the
horizontal or vertical positions.

The holder, however, only allows a 35mm area to be exposed to
the scanner.

I doubt that 126 or 127 slides will fit into the scanner.
Sorry, I don't have any that size so that I can't test it
for sure.

---- Paul J. Gans

Old December 13th 04, 04:21 AM
Michael A. Covington

"Paul J Gans" wrote in message

I have a Dualscan IV. The only way I know to scan slides
is to put them into the special holder supplied with the
scanner. These hold a 35mm mounted slide in either the
horizontal or vertical positions.

I doubt that 126 or 127 slides will fit into the scanner.
Sorry, I don't have any that size so that I can't test it
for sure.

They are in 2x2-inch cardboard mounts; that is also one of the options for
mounting 110 slides.

That's why I think there's no danger, although the scanner will not be able
to see the whole frame of the 126 or 127 slide. In fact, the holder will
guarantee that the slide or film doesn't bump into anything.

Old December 13th 04, 04:41 PM
Mike King

35mm slides, image measures 24x36mm, slide mount is 2x2 inches.
127 super slides, image is 38mmx38mm, slide mount is 2x2 inches.
126 slides, image measures 26x26mm, slide mount is 2x2 inches.
828 slides, image is 28x40mm, slide mount is 2x2 inches.

You should be able to scan a 24x36mm maximum area from any of these formats
on a 35mm scanner. A medium format scanner could scan the whole image.

--
darkroommike

----------

Old December 13th 04, 05:44 PM
Frank ess

Mike King wrote:
35mm slides, image measures 24x36mm, slide mount is 2x2 inches.
127 super slides, image is 38mmx38mm, slide mount is 2x2 inches.
126 slides, image measures 26x26mm, slide mount is 2x2 inches.
828 slides, image is 28x40mm, slide mount is 2x2 inches.

You should be able to scan a 24x36mm maximum area from any of these
formats on a 35mm scanner. A medium format scanner could scan the
whole image.

I think you may get more than 24x36mm on some scanners: my primitive but
effective HP PhotoSmart (second version) scanned the full image area of
127 film (if that is what Instamatics used), much to my delight.

--
Frank ess