Fortepan -- disappointing results

Old November 19th 04, 01:34 PM
Nick Zentena

UncaMikey wrote:

I am not particularly interested in futzing about with chemicals, even
though everyone keeps saying how easy and cheap it is. But just in
case (and for the benefit of the untold millions of Usenet lurkers
reading this thread), where is the best overview of what's involved?
Cost, equipment and materials, space requirements, etc? And it still
leaves printing, right? I have had more problems with crappy printing
than with crappy processing. Is printing difficult and expensive?

Cost and equipment are tied together. If you really wanted to then an
automated setup could be bought. It'll cost more. OTOH you can get a basic
setup today off Ebay for not much more then $20. Even new it's not much more
then that. It's the same thing with printing. You can spend more money and
have more of the process done for you or you can piece together a fairly
bacic setup for peanuts. Average printing at a level better then you'll find
from your average commerical printer is relatively easy. Fine art printing
from a lousy negative requires much more skill. OTOH nothing encourages you
to improve your photography then trying to print your own lousy negatives.

Nick
Old November 20th 04, 12:03 AM
Sander Vesik

In rec.photo.equipment.35mm Uranium Committee wrote:

Well, I cannot even conceive of doing B&W without a darkroom. It's
thoroughly pointless.

Maybeyou should first conceive the though that you need to actualy take
pictures for photography?

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++
Old December 13th 04, 02:49 PM
Mike King

Really in your case I just wouldn't bother, if you must shoot B&W get a C-41
film like the current excellent Ilford or Kodak products and have the lab do
it. Be aware that B&W is much more subjective than color film and you will
probably not be happy with any low end Black and White printing.

--
darkroommike

----------
"UncaMikey" wrote in message
om...
Chris Loffredo wrote in message

Ask if you want to know more...

Thanks for the comments and confirming my suspicions. I looked at
the negatives, and it's possible they are not as bad as the prints
would indicate, so perhaps the bigger problem was the printing rather
than the processing.

I am not particularly interested in futzing about with chemicals, even
though everyone keeps saying how easy and cheap it is. But just in
case (and for the benefit of the untold millions of Usenet lurkers
reading this thread), where is the best overview of what's involved?
Cost, equipment and materials, space requirements, etc? And it still
leaves printing, right? I have had more problems with crappy printing
than with crappy processing. Is printing difficult and expensive?

Thanks again.

*UncaMikey