Buying camera accessories in Australia, Singapore and Thailand

Old September 28th 04, 10:05 AM
No Further Action

Default Buying camera accessories in Australia, Singapore and Thailand

I will be travelling to Singapore and Thailand at the end of the year. I am
interested in buying various accessories for my Olympus, including x-D
picture cards, a battery and possibly other items including a tripod and
maybe even a printer.

Does anybody know whether I will do better buying

a) at home, in Melbourne, either downtown or duty-free
b) duty-free in Brisbane (I've got three hours to kill there!)
c) in Singapore, either duty-free or downtown
d) in Bangkok, either in-coming duty-free or downtown
e) incoming duty-free back in Melbourne (for the printer)

Comments on any of these options are welcome.

Old September 28th 04, 12:09 PM
A Mate

Almost always better to buy from a discount retailer in your home town. You
get a genuine 'home enforceable' warranty, subject to local consumer laws
(pretty good in Austr). PLUS if you handle it right - you can claim back the
gst (10%) on departure. There really is no further 'duty' in Australia for
photographic/electronic stuff any more.!!

From: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4461

The Australian Customs web site!!!

Can I buy goods from any retailer?
You can buy goods from any retailer that has an ABN, is registered for the
GST and can produce a Tax Invoice on request.

Is there a maximum amount I can claim?
No

Is the scheme open to Australians?
The scheme is open to all overseas visitors and Australian residents.

Old September 28th 04, 12:23 PM
Viviane

Check out the prices you can get in Melb then use those as a benchmark when
you're travelling. We're in Sydney and recently went to Sing & Bkk and
ended up buying our new digital camera at the airport in Sing - by far the
best price and choice and it has an international guarantee.

Old September 28th 04, 02:37 PM
John Wright

"No Further Action" wrote in message
I will be travelling to Singapore and Thailand at the end of the year. I
am interested in buying various accessories for my Olympus, including x-D
picture cards, a battery and possibly other items including a tripod and
maybe even a printer.

In Australia, you can buy camara gear from any store up to 30 days before
travel, make sure you collect the tax invoice. You get to use it, and you
can claim 10% GST refund at the airport on departure. You also get the
benefit of local warrantee. And plenty of time to check things out without
rushing. And the ability to return goods if you are not satisfied, or find
them defective.

"Duty Free" is the effectively same deal - you get 10% GST discounted. But
you can't open the package, can't use it before departure.

Check out some of the Aussie camera store websites like
http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/ - I found their prices cheapest.

Regards - JW

Old September 29th 04, 12:07 AM
Black Tractor

In Singapore...

Try to go to "Sim Lim Square" or "Peninsular Plaza".

Though, a friendly advice .. look around and compare the price before make
any decision...

Hope it helps

Regards
BT (email not valid)

Old September 29th 04, 03:07 PM
Scott Howard

In rec.travel.asia No Further Action wrote:
I will be travelling to Singapore and Thailand at the end of the year. I am
interested in buying various accessories for my Olympus, including x-D
picture cards, a battery and possibly other items including a tripod and
maybe even a printer.

Does anybody know whether I will do better buying

c) in Singapore, either duty-free or downtown

Singapore. Buy it in the city and make sure you get a GST refund form
and you can then claim back a percentage of the 4% GST when you leave
the country as long as you leave via air.

Scott
Old October 1st 04, 08:09 AM

Hmm, so far I think Singapore will be the cheapest. Havent been to Bangkok
yet.
Try this shop: Alan Photo on ground floor at SimLim Square (SLS) in
Singapore. Notice there's another simlim building: SimLim Tower.
They are pretty friendly and helpful, and not pushy.
You better check price, and when you check price, make sure you ask what are
the accesories they are giving. That could make big differences. i always
insist on upgrade memory card, casing and tripod for free, and some lense
cleaner. i've been a good marketer for this Alan photo shop. everytime my
friends wanna buy camera, always bring them to this shop.

for xD card try this www.eastgear.com
rechargeble battery, try Mustafa Shopping Center in Singapore.

Pricewise, depends on your Oz $ value at the end of the year, still i guess
Singapore will be chepaer.

For printer, i guess the price will be the same, especially if you go to the
SwapMeet, computer trade at various townhall?
hehehe, lived in Melb for 9 yrs, now stuck in Singapore.

Dont forget to ask the shop for your tax refund form.

enjoy ur shopping