Bad sensor dust

Old February 3rd 19, 12:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default Bad sensor dust

Here is an example:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/marcod...2963838558/in/
album-72157705868008995/

The blobs at the top left are the most visible ones, but
there actually are dust blobs across the entire frame.
And apparently the photographer wasan't even aware of
the dust, as the blobs are on all or almost all images.

The camera is a DSLR with an optical viewfinder and I#m
guessing that the images were not inspected during the
trip to Algeria, otherwise the photographer would have
noticed the dust on the sensor.

Actually, looking at the photos of previous trips (the
Namibia one of last summer for instance) the dust on the
sensor was already there, so it seems that the
photographer doesn't even know that the problem exists,
or simply doesn't care. or maybe likes that 'blobby'
look ;-)
--
Alfred Molon

Old February 3rd 19, 02:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Alfred Molon wrote:
Here is an example:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/marcod...2963838558/in/
album-72157705868008995/

The blobs at the top left are the most visible ones, but
there actually are dust blobs across the entire frame.
And apparently the photographer wasan't even aware of
the dust, as the blobs are on all or almost all images.

Yup!
The dust is very conspicuous, and is going to need some major fixing in
post. That sensor is in dire need of cleaning, and the photographer should
have taken an emergency cleaning kit with him on that trip. When you know
that you are going to be in an environment with wind, dust, and sand, there
is no excuse for not being prepared. At a minimum a lot of care should be
taken with lens changes.

The camera is a DSLR with an optical viewfinder and I#m
guessing that the images were not inspected during the
trip to Algeria, otherwise the photographer would have
noticed the dust on the sensor.

Given the camera, I suspect that the photographer is oblivious of the
potential dust problem with all ILCs, DSLR, or MILC. It is probably his
first DSLR.

Actually, looking at the photos of previous trips (the
Namibia one of last summer for instance) the dust on the
sensor was already there, so it seems that the
photographer doesn't even know that the problem exists,
or simply doesn't care. or maybe likes that 'blobby'
look ;-)

If he is that oblivious to the potential dust problem, it is inexcusable,
and he should stick to using a compact.

Savageduck
Old February 3rd 19, 02:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Savageduck wrote:
Alfred Molon wrote:
[...]

Also, I believe the evidence that he is either oblivious to the problem, or
just doesn't care is demonstrated by his posting of all those contaminated
photographs to Flickr with no effort to fix anything.

Savageduck
Old February 3rd 19, 04:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

On 03/02/2019 14.20, Savageduck wrote:
Savageduck wrote:
Alfred Molon wrote:
Here is an example:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/marcod...2963838558/in/
album-72157705868008995/

The blobs at the top left are the most visible ones, but
there actually are dust blobs across the entire frame.
And apparently the photographer wasan't even aware of
the dust, as the blobs are on all or almost all images.

Yup!
The dust is very conspicuous, and is going to need some major fixing in
post. That sensor is in dire need of cleaning, and the photographer should
have taken an emergency cleaning kit with him on that trip. When you know
that you are going to be in an environment with wind, dust, and sand, there
is no excuse for not being prepared. At a minimum a lot of care should be
taken with lens changes.

That assumes he knows how to use that kit (I don't). Maybe he takes the
camera to a shop to be cleaned by a professional back home that knows
how to do it, and he wouldn't dare try to do it himself, even less on a
trip.

Also, I believe the evidence that he is either oblivious to the problem, or
just doesn't care is demonstrated by his posting of all those contaminated
photographs to Flickr with no effort to fix anything.

Well, maybe the photos themselves are important (to him) and he can not
are important to me.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old February 3rd 19, 04:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Carlos E.R.
wrote:

Here is an example:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/marcod...7705868008995/

The blobs at the top left are the most visible ones, but
there actually are dust blobs across the entire frame.
And apparently the photographer wasan't even aware of
the dust, as the blobs are on all or almost all images.

Yup!
The dust is very conspicuous, and is going to need some major fixing in
post. That sensor is in dire need of cleaning, and the photographer should
have taken an emergency cleaning kit with him on that trip. When you know
that you are going to be in an environment with wind, dust, and sand, there
is no excuse for not being prepared. At a minimum a lot of care should be
taken with lens changes.

That assumes he knows how to use that kit (I don't).

it's never too late to learn. read the instructions or do a search on
how. there are plenty of detailed explanations and even videos. it's
not difficult. even just one squeeze of a rocket blower would make a
dramatic improvement.

Maybe he takes the
camera to a shop to be cleaned by a professional back home that knows
how to do it, and he wouldn't dare try to do it himself, even less on a
trip.

or maybe he doesn't care.
Old February 3rd 19, 05:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Savageduck wrote:
Alfred Molon wrote:
[...]

If he does not know how to go about cleaning the sensor on a DSLR, or MILC,
he, and anybody who owns one should invest in the basic tools, correct size
swabs, PEC pad, a Giottos Rocket, a bottle of Eclipse Fluid, and a
magnifier with some sort of illuminator.

Then make the effort to learn how to go about cleaning a sensor, even on
the road away from home. Especially if one is in an environment where dust
contamination is likely.

I had no idea about dust, and sensor cleaning until I got my first DSLR, a
Nikon D70. I learned very quickly.

Also, I believe the evidence that he is either oblivious to the problem, or
just doesn't care is demonstrated by his posting of all those contaminated
photographs to Flickr with no effort to fix anything.

Well, maybe the photos themselves are important (to him) and he can not
are important to me.

If they were important to him he should have taken care when producing
them. He could certainly have cleaned up the spots on the images with post
processing before publishing them in Flickr.

What camera do you shoot?

If you have photos that are important to you, but have "errors", do
whatever you can to fix those errors in post. That is why editing tools
exist.

Savageduck
Old February 3rd 19, 05:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Savageduck
wrote:

I had no idea about dust, and sensor cleaning until I got my first DSLR, a
Nikon D70. I learned very quickly.

that was a dust magnet, along with other slrs of the day.

recent slrs are much better, often with a dust shaker.

Also, I believe the evidence that he is either oblivious to the problem, or
just doesn't care is demonstrated by his posting of all those contaminated
photographs to Flickr with no effort to fix anything.

Well, maybe the photos themselves are important (to him) and he can not
are important to me.

If they were important to him he should have taken care when producing
them. He could certainly have cleaned up the spots on the images with post
processing before publishing them in Flickr.

What camera do you shoot?

If you have photos that are important to you, but have "errors", do
whatever you can to fix those errors in post. That is why editing tools
exist.

yep
Old February 3rd 19, 05:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

nospam wrote:
In article , Savageduck
wrote:

I had no idea about dust, and sensor cleaning until I got my first DSLR, a
Nikon D70. I learned very quickly.

that was a dust magnet, along with other slrs of the day.

Yup! I had no choice other than to learn how to clean sensors with that
D70. That or claim that the dust bunnies were some sort of artistic
expression.

recent slrs are much better, often with a dust shaker.

The owners of cameras with sensor dust removal systems still need to make
sure that it has been turned on.

Old February 3rd 19, 06:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Savageduck
wrote:

recent slrs are much better, often with a dust shaker.

The owners of cameras with sensor dust removal systems still need to make
sure that it has been turned on.

it normally defaults to on.
Old February 3rd 19, 06:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

nospam wrote:
In article , Savageduck
wrote:

recent slrs are much better, often with a dust shaker.

The owners of cameras with sensor dust removal systems still need to make
sure that it has been turned on.

it normally defaults to on.

However, there are some idiots who think they are extending the battery
charge by turning off sensor dust removal. That is a false economy.

Savageduck