film airport security

Old August 24th 04, 03:38 AM
James Robinson

Kevin wrote:

However when I was coming back from montreal, they said If you did not
want it scanned you should not have brought it with you. they did not
care and would do no hand inspections. Don't even ask it they will
run your items through twice. I am not joking...

That's odd, since Canadian Transport Security Agency, which is
responsible for airport security screening, says they will hand inspect
film on request.

http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/english...002-12-30b.htm

Old August 25th 04, 03:42 AM
Kevin

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 02:38:24 GMT, James Robinson
wrote:

Kevin wrote:

However when I was coming back from montreal, they said If you did not
want it scanned you should not have brought it with you. they did not
care and would do no hand inspections. Don't even ask it they will
run your items through twice. I am not joking...

That's odd, since Canadian Transport Security Agency, which is
responsible for airport security screening, says they will hand inspect
film on request.

http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/english...002-12-30b.htm

Yeah, tell that to the wanna be french... Only part of Canada I ever
disliked, and it was due to the people. But hey, it happens. And it
is entirerly up to the inspector at the time. If you give them crap
they give you crap and keep you there, till you miss your flight.

Think I am joking give it a try, especially in montreal. To date
about 5 of our people have been turned away at the gates, or held up
so they missed thier flights. We do not even ask anymore and we
rarely travel with any luggage out of montreal. Fedex the only way to
get your luggage home.

Old August 28th 04, 07:54 PM
Mark

Who did that, the Canadians or the Americans? Was the film damaged?

As my friend from Quebec often points out, Canadians ARE Americans.

--
Mark
http://marklauter.com

You cannot pull at the grass in order to make it grow faster.

Old August 29th 04, 03:36 AM
Frank Pittel

Paul Schmidt wrote:
: Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
:
: What I am triing to get at is it is like a 50-50 shot.
:
: All travel done within the last 2 months
:
:
: Any problem with keeping the film in lead bags?
:

: The problem with all of this, is if you were a terrorist and wanted to
: pass a bomb through, then the perfect disguise for it, would be as a
: lead lined film bag, or as a roll of film, since film traditionally has
: been hand inspected.

: Two possible solutions to all of this:

: One is to buy film at destination, and get it processed before you
: leave. Processes like E6 and C-41 are highly standardized, a lab in New
: York, a lab in Montreal, a lab in San Paulo and a lab in Frankdurt using
: the same processing machine, are all going to give you the same results.
: Processed film could go through the machine easily without causing harm.

: Two, is arrange shipping for your film, ask your courier if they x-ray
: shipments, have it sent to your first hotel in country, either arrange
: with the hotel to accept the package even though you have not checked in
: yet, or send it to the couriers local office as a hold for pickup, make
: sure you declare that it is a temporary import. Mark on the box in both
: English and the destination countries language that it contains light or
: x-ray sensitive and to not x-ray the package, customs will then hand
: inspect, but this could cause delays. In this case you could use your
: lead bag. Do not seal the bag, unless the seal can be re-sealed, close
: it and either use rubber bands or a piece of tape to keep it closed.
: Ship it home before you leave.

: Two warnings though, first, on international shipments, customs can hold
: whatever they want for as long as they want, make sure all of the
: paperwork is correct, declare that it is film for a trip, and will be
: exported at the end of the trip.

: Second, planes used for cargo only, may have less radiation shielding,
: then passenger aircraft, so you definitely want to use the lead bag.

: Which brings up my final point, most radiation at ground level has been
: blocked by the atmosphere, most radiation at 30'000 feet hasn't, so some
: film fogging could be less from xrays and more from altitude.

The thing I don't understand is why security puts up such a fuss. If a terrorist
wanted to smuggle explosives onto a plane inside of film containers why would
they ask for the film to be hand inspected. They would pack it into the film
canister and let it go the the xray machine were the operator wouldn't give it a
second look. The last thing I would think a terrorist would want is to have a
security guard to actually handle the film can with the explosives in them.

-------------------

Old August 29th 04, 09:18 PM
tortoise

This is a concern I have too for our trip to Antarctica next Feb.
I thought I would call TSA here and ask about security in the US
and then I would call LanChile and ask them.

Or does anyone have other suggestions for the airport in Santiago?

I have used lead bags a lot in the US. The amount of inspection depends
on where you are. I always tell the security guys up front. Sometimes
they just look in the bag, sometimes they open every single container of film.
So there is still no consistency.

When we went through Winnipeg in Nov 2002, they were not concerned so much
about the film. What got inspected thoroughly was our bright yellow
Samsonite luggage as the Canadian authorities said that the suitcases were
the type the drug smugglers like to use. We got bright yellow so it
would be easier to find in the airport-cannot tell you how many times
we have had people not look at the tag, pick up our suitcase and insist
it was theirs. I cannot imagine that drug smugglers would want a suitcase
so bright that it almost glows in the dark.

Tracy

Old August 29th 04, 09:34 PM
Paul Schmidt

Frank Pittel wrote:
The thing I don't understand is why security puts up such a fuss. If a terrorist
wanted to smuggle explosives onto a plane inside of film containers why would
they ask for the film to be hand inspected. They would pack it into the film
canister and let it go the the xray machine were the operator wouldn't give it a
second look. The last thing I would think a terrorist would want is to have a
security guard to actually handle the film can with the explosives in them.

lazyness?

When a security person can just stand there while passengers put their
stuff on the belt, and not do anything other then a cursory glance at
the screen, the amount of "work" they need to do is minimal. When they
actually need to take out the stuff and inspect it, then there is a lot
more work involved.

Paul