Antarctica print film

Old September 27th 04, 10:55 PM
Gordon Moat

"Michael A. Covington" wrote:

Okay, I have used, or continue to use, all of those. Compared to E200, all
are
higher contrast, though not by a great amount. Kodak E200 has less
apparent
grain than Provia 100F, though more than any of the other films. Also,
some
have mentioned that they though Elite Chrome 200 was the same film, though
in
some extensive recent testing, I have found that the colour response
characteristics are not the same.

What difference did you find?

Mostly a more green bias in daylight images. Also, in night images, there is a
tendency to be more affected by fluorescent light sources.

There is of course batch-to-batch variation.

So I bought a five pack batch and kept it refrigerated, much as I would have
for E200. Maybe I should not have treated Elite Chrome 200 like professional
film, and it might work better if kept warmer prior to use. However, I have
forgotten about a roll or three of E200 in one of my camera bags, let it sit at
room temperature for weeks, and never got close to the colour rendition of
Elite Chrome. While not strictly scientific, I do not have any results from
E200 that look like anything I have using Elite Chrome 200.

The greatest difference was in night images. The E200 needs less blue
filtration, and can handle about 1/3 stop less exposure than Elite Chrome 200.
Since I do lots of night imagery, to me that is a significant difference. My
work is often somewhat colour critical (consistency) specific, and I could not
afford to be too far off with using Elite Chrome 200 instead of E200. To my
eyes, the end results are noticeably different.

The published specifications are indistinguishable the last time I checked.

They are very close, but it seems to me that these are not super finite graphs,
so that comparison might not hold up as well as one would expect. It very well
might be that the storage requirements are what affects the final outcome, and
could be more important than the chemical construction.

I have briefly used Ektachrome 200 Professional in the past (roll film only),
which Kodak previously labelled as EPD. It is interesting that Elite Chrome 200
is labelled ED, though I have nothing to go by on if they are similar. The last
data sheet I have for EPD shows it to be really close to ED, and really close
to E200, though the few results samples that I can compare indicate a slight
colour difference in all three.

Basically, E200 provides a very consistent response. If Elite Chrome is
supposed to respond the same, then maybe I got a really bad batch. However, the
risk of getting another possibly bad batch will put me back to only using E200
in the future.

I was a bit sceptical about E200 initially, though a few other working
photographers kept suggesting I try some. After finally using E200 in 35
mm and
roll film, I really never stopped using it, and now buy more of that than
any
other transparency film I use. The only thing I think Kodak could improve
would
be even less grain, though I am not sure if they will do that in the
future (I
hope).

I have been told that they are going to do so -- it will be similar to the
upgrade that E100 and Elite Chrome 100 underwent about a year and a half
ago, with very little fanfare. The upgrade *may* catch us unawares.

I never used much E100SW, but I did use E100S. The newer E100G is not much to
my liking, though I think the E100GX is an improvement. Of all ISO 100
transparency films, I use E100VS more than anything else. I would welcome an
improved E200, as I think many other photographers.

Please keep me posted if you have any interesting test results from E100,
E200, or their relatives. These are currently the best films for
long-exposure astrophotography.

I never tried astrophotography, but I have many long time night images done
with E100VS and E200. My extreme push usage of E200 is one realm that a few
people have expressed some interest in reading more . . . so I am working on a
short paper (or article) to help out other photographers. I will try to post
something here when I get that done.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio