Sony: 24.5 megapixel FF sensor announced

Old January 30th 08, 03:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

Default Sony: 24.5 megapixel FF sensor announced

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08...cmossensor.asp
Old January 30th 08, 07:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Scott W

On Jan 30, 5:21*am, RichA wrote:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08...cmossensor.asp

It is nice to see more full frame sensors on the way.

Scott
Old January 30th 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Polson

Scott W wrote:

On Jan 30, 5:21*am, RichA wrote:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08...cmossensor.asp

It is nice to see more full frame sensors on the way.

Wow! WOW!! This is really something ...

If the chip actually delivers the claimed low noise, it could wipe the
floor with the Canon EOS 1Ds Mk III which has surprisingly high noise
levels above ISO 800.

24.5 MP is also a psychological barrier, because it exceeds the
maximum number of pixels that can realistically be obtained by
scanning top quality film at a little over 4000 ppi. I have long
believed that a 24 MP sensor would signal the end of film, and this
looks like it might do just that.

The dynamic range is still a matter of concern, though. I'm not
impressed with 12-bit against 14-bit conversion.

Old January 30th 08, 08:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

On Jan 30, 2:43 pm, Tony Polson wrote:
Scott W wrote:
On Jan 30, 5:21 am, RichA wrote:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08...cmossensor.asp

It is nice to see more full frame sensors on the way.

Wow! WOW!! This is really something ...

If the chip actually delivers the claimed low noise, it could wipe the
floor with the Canon EOS 1Ds Mk III which has surprisingly high noise
levels above ISO 800.

24.5 MP is also a psychological barrier, because it exceeds the
maximum number of pixels that can realistically be obtained by
scanning top quality film at a little over 4000 ppi. I have long
believed that a 24 MP sensor would signal the end of film, and this
looks like it might do just that.

The dynamic range is still a matter of concern, though. I'm not
impressed with 12-bit against 14-bit conversion.

I'm surprised J. Clarke hasn't waded into this given the new releases,
the megapixel counts and the DR and noise question.
Old January 30th 08, 08:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
frederick

Tony Polson wrote:
Scott W wrote:

On Jan 30, 5:21 am, RichA wrote:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08...cmossensor.asp

It is nice to see more full frame sensors on the way.

Wow! WOW!! This is really something ...

If the chip actually delivers the claimed low noise, it could wipe the
floor with the Canon EOS 1Ds Mk III which has surprisingly high noise
levels above ISO 800.

24.5 MP is also a psychological barrier, because it exceeds the
maximum number of pixels that can realistically be obtained by
scanning top quality film at a little over 4000 ppi. I have long
believed that a 24 MP sensor would signal the end of film, and this
looks like it might do just that.

The dynamic range is still a matter of concern, though. I'm not
impressed with 12-bit against 14-bit conversion.

I can't see Canon or Nikon wanting to release a high-end full-frame
camera in the future with 12 bit d/a.
Perhaps that's a typo in the press release, or perhaps that's just Sony.
Old January 30th 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

Tony Polson wrote:
Scott W wrote:

On Jan 30, 5:21 am, RichA wrote:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08...cmossensor.asp

It is nice to see more full frame sensors on the way.

Wow! WOW!! This is really something ...

If the chip actually delivers the claimed low noise, it could wipe the
floor with the Canon EOS 1Ds Mk III which has surprisingly high noise
levels above ISO 800.

24.5 MP is also a psychological barrier, because it exceeds the
maximum number of pixels that can realistically be obtained by
scanning top quality film at a little over 4000 ppi. I have long
believed that a 24 MP sensor would signal the end of film, and this
looks like it might do just that.

The dynamic range is still a matter of concern, though. I'm not
impressed with 12-bit against 14-bit conversion.

This camera- if, when, and as it's released and is at least all right,
doesn't signal the end of film any more or less than say, the 10D did
five or so years ago. It's a long process, and film will never be fully
dead. (I was listening to a podcast on this very subject on my 8-track.)

Nor is it a Canon or Nikon "killer", nor will there be floor wiping
taking place. You are usually more restrained, Tony!

--
John McWilliams
Old January 31st 08, 01:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

John McWilliams wrote:
Tony Polson wrote:
Scott W wrote:
On Jan 30, 5:21 am, RichA wrote:
[...]

It got a wow out of me but then they don't say what the price is, and
they don't say it's going in a Sony camera either. I don't think Sony,
Minolta, Pentax or Olympus have ever sold anything like a $7,000 pro
camera and I'm not sure they would be able to sell such a thing.
Old January 31st 08, 07:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Philip Homburg

In article ,
Paul Furman wrote:
It got a wow out of me but then they don't say what the price is, and
they don't say it's going in a Sony camera either. I don't think Sony,
Minolta, Pentax or Olympus have ever sold anything like a $7,000 pro
camera and I'm not sure they would be able to sell such a thing.

Sony has no problems selling professional video cameras that cost a lot more
than $7000.

But my guess is that if you are going to see that sensor in a Sony DSLR then
it will be more in the 5D price range.

Old January 31st 08, 11:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Polson

Paul Furman wrote:

It got a wow out of me but then they don't say what the price is, and
they don't say it's going in a Sony camera either. I don't think Sony,
Minolta, Pentax or Olympus have ever sold anything like a $7,000 pro
camera and I'm not sure they would be able to sell such a thing.

The sensor is destined for the Nikon D3X and a high end Sony model.

It is unlikely to find its way into a Pentax DSLR as almost all
current Pentax lenses are designed for the DA (APS-C) format sensor.