D40 with Nikon 50mm 1.8 AF Lens

Old July 8th 08, 12:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony B

Default D40 with Nikon 50mm 1.8 AF Lens

Hi all, I wonder if anyone can shed some light on my problem? I have
just got a used Nikon 50mm 1.8 AF lens that I want to use on my D40
body; obviously, I have to focus manually (no big deal) but the camera
will only let me use it at f22. If I set the aperture to anything else
(using the lens aperture ring) I get an error message on the rear LCD
screen that says:

"Lock lens aperture ring at minimum aperture (largest f/-number)"

and the camera refuses to make any pictures.

Could the lens be broken somehow? I was expecting it to work fine, apart
from not auto focussing...

I called into my local Jessops camera shop this morning to try a new
50mm 1.8 lens, but they don't carry the lens in stock.

thanks in advance,

Tony Bramah

Old July 8th 08, 12:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
N[_5_]

"Tony B" wrote in message
et...
Hi all, I wonder if anyone can shed some light on my problem? I have just
got a used Nikon 50mm 1.8 AF lens that I want to use on my D40 body;
obviously, I have to focus manually (no big deal) but the camera will only
let me use it at f22. If I set the aperture to anything else (using the
lens aperture ring) I get an error message on the rear LCD screen that
says:

"Lock lens aperture ring at minimum aperture (largest f/-number)"

and the camera refuses to make any pictures.

Could the lens be broken somehow? I was expecting it to work fine, apart
from not auto focussing...

I called into my local Jessops camera shop this morning to try a new 50mm
1.8 lens, but they don't carry the lens in stock.

thanks in advance,

Tony Bramah

That's the way it works. The camera will control the aperture. You will
get 1.8 if you set the camera at 1.8.

Old July 8th 08, 12:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony B

N wrote:

That's the way it works. The camera will control the aperture. You
will get 1.8 if you set the camera at 1.8.

thanks N, I just had a longer play with it and got it sorted. Now I feel
a bit foolish...

cheers for your amazingly fast response :-)