Why no ISO 100 ??

Old July 6th 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default Why no ISO 100 ??

In article , Ray Fischer
says...

And no, adjusting the lens diaphram is not an option. It'd suck
power, wear down the lens, possibly burn out the diaphram motor,
and wouldn't even work for lenses that do not have camera-controlled
diaphrams.

Non-DLSRs use this diaphragm technique without any of the problems you
mention.
--

Alfred Molon
Old July 6th 08, 09:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 15:10:09 GMT, John Sheehy wrote:

I can shoot my FZ50 at ISO
100 with IS at 420mm EFL in a shady street and get tack-sharp pictures of
relatively stationary objects, with shutter speeds sometimes down to 1/30.

The operative word being "sometimes". The keeper rate would
probably be fairly low, and even those probably could only be called
"tack-sharp" using a very loose interpretation. Other than the few
that wear a cape and have a large "S" on their chest, most people
will see a tremendous increase in the sharpness of their shots when
going from 1/30th sec to using a tripod with a 420mm EFL lens.

With my 30D, I'd have to use ISO 800 to 1600 with my 300mm IS, and get
about 1 - 1.6 stops stronger read noise in the shadows.

Please. If you needed to use ISO 800 with a 30D hobbled by
mirror-slap to remain competitive with your P&S, then you forgot to
turn on the 300mm's IS. I'll bet this whole exercise was to give
you the opportunity to once again talk up your P&S's low read noise.

The slappin' mirror has got to go the way of the dinosaurs. It is
primitive BS.

Agreed. There's much too much BS going around these days.

Old July 7th 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ray Fischer

Alfred Molon wrote:
Ray Fischer

And no, adjusting the lens diaphram is not an option. It'd suck
power, wear down the lens, possibly burn out the diaphram motor,
and wouldn't even work for lenses that do not have camera-controlled
diaphrams.

Non-DLSRs use this diaphragm technique without any of the problems you
mention.

Then buy a P&S and suffer with its shortcomings. There's a reason the
dSLRs are faster.

--
Ray Fischer