Cokin adapter for Hasselblad

Old May 31st 08, 04:39 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Bruce[_3_]

Default Cokin adapter for Hasselblad

I have a 'blad 503CW with the CFE 2.8/80 lens and I would like to get an
adapter for the P series Cokin filters. I think what I need is the "Cokin
Series P Hasselblad B60 Adapter Ring". Can anyone verify that?

And on a somewhat related topic where does the "B60" designation come from
for the Hasselblad lenses, I measured the bayonet diameter on the 2.8/80
lens and it is something like 64 mm or so depending on where you measure at.
Is this just some kind of "nominal" size?

Thanks!

Old May 31st 08, 11:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Q.G. de Bakker

Bruce asked:

I have a 'blad 503CW with the CFE 2.8/80 lens and I would like to get an
adapter for the P series Cokin filters. I think what I need is the "Cokin
Series P Hasselblad B60 Adapter Ring". Can anyone verify that?

That is correct.

You would do better using filters (and adapters) from other manufacturers,
like Lee or Cromatek.
The Cokin thingies aren't exactly the best you can get.

And on a somewhat related topic where does the "B60" designation come from
for the Hasselblad lenses, I measured the bayonet diameter on the 2.8/80
lens and it is something like 64 mm or so depending on where you measure
at. Is this just some kind of "nominal" size?

It is that, more or less.
Derived from, not the size of the mount (which is about 67 mm), but the size
of the filter - the glass bit - itself.

Old June 1st 08, 03:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Bruce[_3_]

"Q.G. de Bakker" wrote in message
Bruce asked:

I have a 'blad 503CW with the CFE 2.8/80 lens and I would like to get an
adapter for the P series Cokin filters. I think what I need is the "Cokin
Series P Hasselblad B60 Adapter Ring". Can anyone verify that?

That is correct.

You would do better using filters (and adapters) from other manufacturers,
like Lee or Cromatek.
The Cokin thingies aren't exactly the best you can get.

And on a somewhat related topic where does the "B60" designation come
from for the Hasselblad lenses, I measured the bayonet diameter on the
2.8/80 lens and it is something like 64 mm or so depending on where you
measure at. Is this just some kind of "nominal" size?

It is that, more or less.
Derived from, not the size of the mount (which is about 67 mm), but the
size of the filter - the glass bit - itself.

Thanks for the response. I realize that the Cokin filters are not the best
however I already have a number of them and so I just wanted to leverage
them, if possible to do so at a low cost.

Old June 1st 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Q.G. de Bakker

wrote:

You would do better to get a Hasselblad to standard filter thread
adapter, marketed by Kalt oh-so-many-years ago: googling just that I
came up with
http://www.lordofthelens.net/servlet/Detail?no=18 which gave me a site
which will sell you the beastie for a paltry $28

I don't know... they are cheap, but not very good either.

But whatever you do, don't buy the particular one the link leads to.
A 58 mm filter is way too small for bayonet 60 lenses. You need 67 mm
filters.

Old June 2nd 08, 03:56 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Bruce[_3_]

"Q.G. de Bakker" wrote in message

You would do better to get a Hasselblad to standard filter thread
adapter, marketed by Kalt oh-so-many-years ago: googling just that I
came up with
http://www.lordofthelens.net/servlet/Detail?no=18 which gave me a site
which will sell you the beastie for a paltry $28

I don't know... they are cheap, but not very good either.

But whatever you do, don't buy the particular one the link leads to.
A 58 mm filter is way too small for bayonet 60 lenses. You need 67 mm
filters.

Thanks guys for the tips. I'll look into those options.

Old June 7th 08, 11:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

Bruce wrote:
"Q.G. de Bakker" wrote in message
Bruce asked:

I have a 'blad 503CW with the CFE 2.8/80 lens and I would like to get an
adapter for the P series Cokin filters. I think what I need is the "Cokin
Series P Hasselblad B60 Adapter Ring". Can anyone verify that?

That is correct.

You would do better using filters (and adapters) from other manufacturers,
like Lee or Cromatek.
The Cokin thingies aren't exactly the best you can get.

Thanks for the response. I realize that the Cokin filters are not the best
however I already have a number of them and so I just wanted to leverage
them, if possible to do so at a low cost.

A pro I know has a lot of Cokin filters that he uses for MF shooting
(nature, landscapes). He mainly uses the grads for dusk or dawn shots.
Despite the Cokins being plastic (acrylic?) his after 10 years were
hardly scratched. He's a very "deliberate" shooter.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old June 8th 08, 12:27 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Q.G. de Bakker

Alan Browne wrote:

A pro I know has a lot of Cokin filters that he uses for MF shooting
(nature, landscapes). He mainly uses the grads for dusk or dawn shots.
Despite the Cokins being plastic (acrylic?) his after 10 years were hardly
scratched. He's a very "deliberate" shooter.

The problem with Cokin filters is/was not that they are "plastic", and thus
scratch more easily than glass filters.
Lee or Cromatek filters, for instance, are also made of "plastic".

The problem is/was with their quality: too many Cokins were/are uneven in
optical density (not the colour - see later - but the material itself
showing "schlieren"), warped and twisted, and not the right colour, or not
evenly coloured.

Old June 8th 08, 06:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

Q.G. de Bakker wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

A pro I know has a lot of Cokin filters that he uses for MF shooting
(nature, landscapes). He mainly uses the grads for dusk or dawn shots.
Despite the Cokins being plastic (acrylic?) his after 10 years were hardly
scratched. He's a very "deliberate" shooter.

The problem with Cokin filters is/was not that they are "plastic", and thus
scratch more easily than glass filters.
Lee or Cromatek filters, for instance, are also made of "plastic".

The problem is/was with their quality: too many Cokins were/are uneven in
optical density (not the colour - see later - but the material itself
showing "schlieren"), warped and twisted, and not the right colour, or not
evenly coloured.

Be that as it may, the fellow in question uses only Cokin and he's a
regular photog contributor to a few NA nature/outdoor rec. mags.
Whatever harm they do to the photos would not seem to be apparent enough
to matter.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.